Lowes Iris Zigbee Devices Available

Depending on the size of your house, and the number of Zigbee devices you have, you'll probably want a few Zigbee repeaters to help build out a strong mesh network, and to allow the hub to handle more than 32 directly paired Zigbee devices. By adding Zigbee repeaters (e.g. the Iris 3210-L2 outlets, IKEA Tradfri Outlets, the IKEA Tradfri Repeaters, SmartThings/Samsung Outlets, etc...) you also significantly increase the number of Zigbee devices that can be added to the network.

Just be aware that many Zigbee bulbs, like the old GE Link, Cree Connected, early Osram/Lightify, and even Philips Hue make poor Zigbee Home Automation repeaters when directly paired to the Hubitat Hub. Many of these behave fine when added to a Zigbee bulbs only mesh, either on a second Hubitat Hub or the Philips Hue bridge.
Also, the Peanut Plug has been known to cause some Zigbee instability as well.

Sengled bulbs are fine to add to the Hubitat hub directly, as they are not Zigbee repeaters by design. This means that that can even be switched off via a light switch with no negative impact to the Zigbee mesh network. However, Sengled and USA Osram/Lightify bulbs cannot be paired to the Hue Bridge. Just some things to be aware of when building a Zigbee network.

2 Likes

So I interpreted "range" differently than @ogiewon. I don't have any of the second generation Iris motion sensors, but I tested a single third generation (IL07) a couple weeks ago. It picks up motion events that are within 10-12 feed of the sensor.

2 Likes

Yeah.. sorry I realize I wasn’t clear. I was actually asking about the range at which they can detect motion.. but the other information is appreciated as well!

1 Like

Ahhh, very good point... :wink: These sensors pick up motion best when a person is crossing their field of view. Motion coming directly toward or away, will be picked up, but not as quickly as motion across.

I like to place them just inside the door of a room, in a corner at about chest high, at a 45 degree angle. This prevents false detection of people walking down a hallway for example, but increases the sensitivity when someone steps across the threshold into a room. In some larger areas, like the kitchen, I use multiple sensors to ensure the lights stay on regardless of where the person is in the space. It takes a little practice to find the ideal locations. Use 3M Command strips (I cut them in half lengthwise) for easy removal without destroying the paint on the walls. The mounting tape that shipped originally with these sensors was great, as long as you never needed to move them.

Motion Lighting has a ton of options, including the ability to use multiple sensors if needed.

3 Likes

@djw1191

There's also a Hubitat app to create motion zones using multiple motion detectors. These can be configured to "aggregate" motion (i.e. any motion detector within a zone is triggered) or to reduce "false motion" (i.e. all motion detectors within a zone must be triggered).

3 Likes

Thanks @aaiyar and @ogiewon that’s helpful information. With 20 sensors, I expect some rooms will in fact have multiple.

When my first batch of 10 came in, I was surprised at how small they actually are, much smaller than the smartthings sensor I picked up awhile ago.

1 Like

@ogiewon
I have a ST V2 hub, but I was not aware you could still upgrade the Iris Contact and Motion sensors?
Do you happen to have a link on where to get the firmware from and what steps I need to take.

Thanks,

239$ shipping to Canada for 10 Contact sensors, 10 Motion sensors and 4 outlets. A little cost prohibitive and dissapointing.

Any other source where i can get those sensors?

Luckily I have family in the US and live at a border city.

1 Like

$9.96 per item... how much would they cost on Amazon or down at the big-box store?

Comes down to 23$CAD per item with the exchange. Overall its still good but i can't justify that shipping cost. I contacted the seller by email. MTF

gotcha. GL.

1 Like

Just pair the sensors with your ST v2 hub, and then be patient. That's pretty much all there is to it. Go into the ST Web IDE, and click on the details for the device. You should see a section where the device's firmware version and the current firmware version are listed. Assuming you have OTA Zigbee updates enabled, the device will be updated automatically and then the page will the update version number for the device. You may have to refresh the web page to see the update completed.

2 Likes

Thanks, I give it a try!

2 Likes

I assume you got it to work?

@ogiewon
Yes thanks.

I'm running the Classic ST App, and didn't see an option to turn OTA Zigbee updates enabled on.
But click on Update Firmware for the Iris Motion Sensor anyway, because it was showing...
Current: 0x11005310
Target: 0x1c005310

While I was searching Google on how to turn on OTA, I notice the Firmware updated to 0x1c005310.
So I guess it was already turned on anyway and I didn't know it.

3 Likes

I ordered 10 of the motion sensors about a week ago for $50 plus shipping.

I bought another 10 today!

The sensor is known to be fast, reliable, small and has decent battery life.

Really, how can you go wrong with that price? For me, including shipping, it works out to about $7 per sensor.

2 Likes

Nice! Just ordered a lot of 10 motion sensors. I'll let everyone know how it goes. Bummed that there's no free shipping but I'm just chalking that up to being spoiled. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I sent an email to them on Friday, asking if they would sell the IRIS 3210-L2 Smart Plug in Lots of 5. To help move their inventory like they did when they started selling the contact sensors in Lots of 10.

But I see they decided to sell them in Lots of 10 instead, for $74.99.
So instead of paying $15 each for one, you will be paying $7.49 each for 10 (before taxes and shipping).

3 Likes

Seems like a good price. I picked up a lot of 5 off of eBay for $51 a couple weeks ago, so $7.50 seems decent (and last I looked they were sold out on eBay). Granted once you add $20 shipping in, it edges it slightly closer. Would have been tempted to add them to my second order, had they been selling them in lots at the time.

Just noticed my purchase on eBay was for a 3210-L vs the 3210-L2 from these guys. Is there any difference?