Lowes IRIS Transition

Does this mean the question I should be asking is Does Hubitat have a driver for [Brand X] Light Bulbs?

We've got some pretty smart people over here, we've been able to do anything that we've put our minds to..,

9 Likes

It's true, I've read every post on this forum.. but that is NOT the same as memorizing anything :slight_smile:

Use Search (magnifier, upper right) and find out the answer the last time it was asked. :smiley:

If you search for FOB, it's likely you'll see SmartThings fob as well as Iris, for example. maybe the way the SmartThings fob people are using theirs will inspire you...

Hubitat's built in drivers are easy to review.. go to any device page and click on the type dropdown. Every line from the top to where it says: User is a built in driver. If you can use one of those, it's the best choice.

Searching the Forum, you'll probably read "I ported this from ST and...." which is usually good news. It means the Community has a driver that might just work for you too. (ST = SmartThings and ST and HE both write drivers and Apps in Groovy to nearly identical definitions. In a lot of cases, it's 2 mins of work to convert a ST 'DTH" to a Hubitat driver.) It means the SmartThings Community of developers are quite often, our developers too.

1 Like

Admittedly I am very familiar with forum culture and very appreciative at the immediate support on this post. I intend to update my original post with all the lessons learned and hopefully WE don't get an onslaught of IRIS questions as their shutdown approaches. :smirk:

Hubitat's button implementation is pretty impressive.... Many buttons send a message on press, and then again on release. As if by magic, you can detect that someone is pressing and holding the button because the release didn't arrive in some minimum time. Means a button can be clicked (press/release close), long press, and press and hold. This gives a 4 button device the possibility of being up to a 12 button device. Press and hold is often used to simulate a dimmer. Therefore, you get a choice of having reaction time improved by eliminating the wait-and-see to detect press and hold.

If you find yourself needing to be just 100% impressed, get a Lutron SmartBridge PRO and a couple Pico remotes. Hubitiat built the Lutron integration in their earliest days, probably earlier.. it's, in my opinion, the most polished integration there is.

review this for some ideas:

6 Likes

Well here's an offer...
Given that it appears that the Iris V1 Zigbee devices at least try to pair to HE, meaning they at least make it to the first part of the initialization process, it's possible there's hope for them, probably not much, but possible.

So if someone out there is willing to part with as many different devices as possible we would be willing to at least try to get them working on Hubitat.
It will likely be an all or nothing deal.

So if there are any customers out there willing to ship these off for me to have a look at, please PM me.

Sniffing packets is a somewhat detailed and time consuming effort, so we do have a ticking clock on this offer...

6 Likes

I just ordered one off of ebay for $8.77 with Free shipping so I can play around with my sniffer. I am sure that someone will step up since these are otherwise useless.

Have a look at this thread when you get a moment. It has a lot of links to some sites that have already done a lot of the sniffing.

Here's a link to a Python library to interface with the V1 devices using an Xbee.

2 Likes

I also wonder if their effort, Acrus, to open-source parts of Iris will include any of this ZigBee profile, which might also help (though it appears the PyAlertMe library above has already reverse-engineered it).

1 Like

I hope it does, but sadly, unless they actually acquired the patents for AlertMe's tech, I have my doubts that they will. But still, enough have reverse engineered their unit profile/cluster structure (including Systronics), that even if they don't there's a high likelihood that someone will reintroduce that support eventually.

1 Like

I may have to keep an eye open, though I only have one 2nd gen keyfob. I do have 2 first gen and one care pendant .

1 Like

In a nutshell. I'll be watching and reading all I can here. Have been heavily using iris since it first came out. Now the big catch as mentioned is getting HE to do the same. Which may take a little doing, but it is doable. After all I survived when Lowe's crippled Iris system with the move to 2nd gen and this is survivable as well.
Thankfully I bought the orbit water time that's Bluetooth and Wi-Fi which Alexa can control and integrate with AcuRite along with Broadlink. Yes, I'm using Alexa as a central controller and that's how I'll remotely access home devices. Phrases like "Alexa, feed the cats" to dispense dry catfood from anywhere. So for the most part a hub serves to control the devices, light, feeding stations, etc. I'm in an area without cell service and if the internet or power goes out, it's out for days. So having a local hub in control of local things like motion lights, security systems, anything local. The bigger hybrid system then becomes the greater combination of systems working as one.
The goal is by the time I'm older, yes I'm old now, that based on what day or event the "system" will control the wake up alarm, start my car, schedule appointments and order groceries. Automation to the point that I can do without having to.
So like I said, lots of reading and time.
Maybe some coding and a little praying.
So far, HE is by far the best option and most compatible platform there is.
Something to tinker with.

2 Likes

I think you have exactly the right attitude for using Hubitat! Have fun. You’re going to love it!

1 Like

What are you using to dispense cat food!!???

11 posts were split to a new topic: How to control CT101 Thermostat with Alexa?

Actually using an iris switch. By hooking it to an electric drill with a garden auger normally for planting bulbs. I am able to dispense dry food remotely. Or schedule it. Putting it in pvc pipe and using a sealed hopper it can hold all sorts of quantity. Cat food, dog food, or any dry animal food. About like the automated deer feeders, but a lot less. Basically you could hook it to a grain silo and have a year supply of cow chow in it. Thing was I needed something I could dispense dry animal food with, but also could keep raccoons out of it. I've got a camera watching the dish so as needed I can put down more.
By doing that the basic part is hub controlled, moving it to HE, and rules and timers can be setup. Doing the multiple on off with alexa you need a conformation after each command, otherwise she only does one.
Now getting the mower automated would be something to think about.

1 Like

Oh wow... now THAT is IMPRESSIVE!!!!!!

This is terrific. Is there a video of this "cat feeder" in action ?

I want to transition from iris also i have the motion keypad and contact sensors paired is there something that shows how to setup the keypad? I am lost on how to make it work.

OK, now you need a presence sensor on the cat collar that only dispense the food when the cat arrives for lunch. That way, the Raccoons get none ;).

1 Like