How to control CT101 Thermostat with Alexa?

Just fired up my new HE hub, closing down my Iris system. I have been able to add my zwave outlets and a few other things with no issues. I have a Radio Thermostat ct101 that I was able to control with Alexa through the iris skill. Hubitat recognized the thermostat however alexa will not discover it. Is it not possible to control the ct101 with the HE skill through Alexa?
Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. I could always tell alexa to turn down or up the temperature with the iris skill.

1 Like

You are correct. The Alexa skill for Hubitat does not (yet?) support thermostats. Some people have improvised crazy workarounds. I am one, using a virtual thermostat on SmartThings (which I used to use...and I guess still do for this because it is supported there) that I sync with my "real" thermostat on Hubitat via a couple apps on both platforms. You could also create virtual switches like "turn up one degree" and "turn down on degree" or similar that would be accessible from Hubitat (or a dimmer that syncs with the setpoint or...the possibilities are endless, just not the best rigt now :slight_smile: ).

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply...sounds complicated for me. The wife just wants to say Alexa turn down the heat! :smile:

1 Like

If an awkward "Alexa, turn on 'turn the heat down'" is both something Alexa doesn't get confused by and something you/she wouldn't mind saying, that part would actually be possible. :slight_smile:

1 Like

With the iris skill all i had to say was Alexa turn up the heat....and she would raise up the temp 2 degrees, same thing for lowering the temp.
I will have to do some more research....lots of of stuff to click on! I have only had it up and running a few hours.

1 Like

ideas how I can find a visual example of how it might be done?

@randysleach
No need for the voice command to be that complicated. Just create an Alexa Routine where the activation phrase is “Turn down the heat” and another for “Turn up the heat”.

On the Hubitat side, add two virtual switch devices, and enable their auto off feature. Use these as triggers in Rule Machine. Have one change the thermostat temp set point up by 2 degrees and the other down by two degrees.

Add these virtual switches to the Alexa Skill on Hubitat. Then go into the Alexa App and add each of these to their respective Alexa Routines and turn them on. The auto off feature on the virtual devices will make them ready for the next time they are needed.

It is pretty simple once you’ve done it. Much longer to explain than to actually do the work.

1 Like

Awesome!
I have the routine figured out and the making of the virtual switch, not sure on the auto off time selection choice of what to select. still tinkering with the rule machine, choose comparison selection I am unsure what to select. Anyone have a snapshot of all the selctions?

1 Like

I'd use 2 seconds.

Go into Rule Machine and click create new rule, then select create new TRIGGER. Do not pick a RULE or a TRIGGERED RULE. You simply want a TRIGGER. In the Trigger, select one of your new Virtual Switch devices and select ON as the value you want to act upon. Then fill in the Action for adjusting the thermostat setpoint. This very last step is not something I have done recently, so it might take some tinkering.

3 Likes

Success! I have both switches working. Thanks for your help!!

3 Likes

Awesome! So glad it is working for you. I find Alexa Routines to be a very useful tool to keep in your home automation toolbox. For example, I have another one that provides Ring Doorbell integration to Hubitat.

1 Like

I am currently waiting for Fed Ex to deliver my new Ring alarm system this morning. Anxious to see how it all comes together!

1 Like

This is how I have my Pearl TStat setup and it works great. "Hey Google...turn on Heat Up". 'Heat Up' is the name of a virtual switch which then executes a trigger of increasing the setpoint by 1 degree with each request.

Glad you got the virtual switches working in an Alexa routine! I've had issues with Hubitat virtual switches not being available for me to manipulate in Alexa routines before and wasn't even sure if that was supported by the skill (not sure why it would require specific support since Alexa can already do switches, but I was just guessing) or if only certain kinds of routines allow it...but I just tried something like this myself and could do it. (That's why the two switches with Alexa-friendly names were my first thoughts. I see someone suggested the same for Google Home; not sure if a clearly-better workaround like ogiewon suggested would work there too.)

This isn't how I actually do my thermostat since I have a virtual thermostat on ST synced with my "real" one on Hubitat, which I like because it also allows querying the current temperature and current setpoint. It would be nice if Hubitat would just add native support. Hopefully some day, and hopefully before next winter (if this one ever ends).

But in the meantime, it appears people have created plenty of workarounds. :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is the very reason I went with the HE hub! so many options and lots of people thinking of solutions. The HE is so much more responsive than my iris system, I got most of my money back and I am not sad to see Iris go!

2 Likes

Nine of my Virtual switched are showing up in Alexa when I hit discover devices. They do show in the Alexa Skill on HE and are selected. What am I missing?

Never fails, I figure it out seconds after I post. I had setup Buttons, not switches. Go figure buttons NO switches Yes!

You will still need to create an Alexa routine to turn activate the switch. Mine basically says alexa turn up the heat. Alexa will activate my virtual switch named turn up the heat.

Any idea if Alexa will eventually fully work with thermostats? They work with Google with no issues, Alexa just never finds them.

@mike.maxwell @chuck.schwer @bravenel

I know you guys can't give time frames. I just installed my thermostat and was wondering if you guys could help with a don't hold your breath or possibly soonish for this.

Just trying to decide if I want to go the node red route to create virtual Alexa thermostat to do the control until you guys have the time to work this out (or if it is even something you guys are considering.)

Thanks in advance.

2 Likes