Lowes IRIS Transition

Oh wow... now THAT is IMPRESSIVE!!!!!!

This is terrific. Is there a video of this "cat feeder" in action ?

I want to transition from iris also i have the motion keypad and contact sensors paired is there something that shows how to setup the keypad? I am lost on how to make it work.

OK, now you need a presence sensor on the cat collar that only dispense the food when the cat arrives for lunch. That way, the Raccoons get none ;).

1 Like

Sorry, no video, pictures though when I built it. Problem with video. I can use my phone for video and use the phone to control the app at the same time. Have to look for the pictures.

Iris or Lowe's has (had) the pet sensors do the pet door would lock and unlock. Though these are all outside stray barn cats. Now some type of image recognition in the future. Similar to what is used with a sentry gun.

Found a rather interesting link, mostly 5 years ago. By following the trail where Iris or rather alertme.com was bought out. Then became hive. I found a site with all manner of Iris zigbee packet sniffing. Some of their links may be useful.
jeelabs.net was the site, but I can't get the link to paste. I opened one of the 1st gen smartplugs. Hence finding the AlertMe.com V2 on the circuit board.

I found a link where they cracked the iris code so to speak. Using an Arduro and an xbee.
http://www.desert-home.com/2014/01/arduino-and-iris-zigbee-switch.html?m=1

What bulbs do you have? I have 3 types that we have flashed firmware on and have assisted in writing drivers for. I'm sure you can get them working in Hubitat.

1 Like

@damon.dinsmore I have a bunch of GE C Life A19 that I bought during the holidays. Is GE something you've tested?

Hubitat just arrived today so we can start the transition from Iris

4 Likes

Welcome aboard! It's going to be a different experience for certain, but once you get accustomed to the new way of doing things I think you're going to like the platform.

1 Like

Looking forward to it

@CAG unfortunately not. The biggest issue I see is the BLE local control. Next issue is do you have the hub? And if you do there is a chance someone could develop a Device Handle for them.

@damon.dinsmore No hub yet. I just ordered mine and will begin tinkering soon.

I just searched the SmartThings forum and there is no integration for those Bluetooth bulbs over there either. Bluetooth is going to be hard to work around, IMHO.

@cag - your best bet may be to sell the GE C Life A19 bulbs and replace them with Sengled bulbs for <$8 a piece. Sengled bulbs work very well with Hubitat as they are well behaved Zigbee mesh network members. They are NOT zigbee repeaters like many other bulbs. Those other bulbs often cause zigbee mesh instability because they are poor repeaters.

Soft White, dimmable
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074K427TZ/ref=twister_B07NLS6Z8P?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Or, if you want Color RGBW Zigbee bulbs, Sengled has you covered there too
https://www.amazon.com/Sengled-Multicolor-2000-6500K-Equivalent-SmartThings/dp/B073ZBYXKQ/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=1K2URZX1WYSXR&keywords=sengled+element+color+plus&qid=1550005615&s=hi&sprefix=Sengled+Element+Color%2Ctools%2C173&sr=1-1-spons&psc=1

Or you could go with a Philips Hue bridge and bulbs if you'd like to still be able to control them via a dedicated app on your phone, along with Hubitat control.

https://www.amazon.com/Philips-Ambiance-Equivalent-Starter-Assistant/dp/B07D1J5QC7/ref=sr_1_1?hvadid=323148745913&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9010107&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t1&hvqmt=b&hvrand=4821555021896270706&hvtargid=kwd-603904316128&keywords=phillips+hue+starter+kit+color+2+bulb&qid=1550005770&s=gateway&sr=8-1&tag=googhydr-20

Lots of lighting options available. You could also use smart switches and dimmers with 'dumb' bulbs. You can use Z-Wave Plus, Zigbee, or Lutron switches/dimmers. (Note: Lutron Caseta switches and dimmers require the Lutron Smart Bridge PRO to act as a bridge between the Lutron Clear Connect RF protocol and the Hubitat Hub.)

1 Like

@cag - I do have one more idea for you, but your GE C Life bulbs would need to be connected to a Google Home device (using the C Reach device).

If you have a Google Home device, and can control your bulbs via voice control, then there is a one-way option to have Hubitat control these bulbs. It isn't exactly pretty, but it is doable for the somewhat tech-savvy.

You would need to run a Raspberry Pi (or similar) on your home network. On this RPi, you can run a NodeJS server called Google Assistant Relay. This NodeJS server can accept http commands that mimic voice control of a Google Home device, using the Custom Command [CC] feature of my Google Assistant Relay Driver for Hubitat. Take a look at the following guide. Again, not for those who want a simple plug and play...and definitely not as reliable as just using one of the natively supported lighting options I mentioned above...but it is possible!

1 Like

@ogiewon Thanks for the info. I do have a Google Home set-up at my house. I'll probably stick to plug and play devices during my transition to Hubitat and acquire something like the Sengled you recommended. For WAF purposes I'd like to replace some of the functionality I had with IRIS first before I go tinkering. Best Buy had an offer recently where you'd get a 2-pack of GE C Life bulbs for FREE with the purchase of a Google Mini Smart Lighting Kit (which includes 1 GE C Life bulb). The Google Mini kit was $35 so you'd basically get 1 Google Mini + 3 Bulbs for $35. It's safe to stay I have a healthy stock of bulbs that I'll have to find some use for.

1 Like

Ok I know this has been discussed several time but I would just like to be 100% clear on this. I recently acquired a iris smart key fob for free not the 4 button one it’s the one used to control the alarm on the iris hub so what I’m understanding from this conversation is that it will not work with Hubitats hub. I’m just trying to come up with an easy solution for my wife and kids I use the alarm feature on the hub but until the app comes out I’m left with no way to turn on and off I know I can get a keypad but a key fob will work better for the family, I tried the 4 button iris key fob but man that thing is the cheapest made piece of crap I’ve ever seen I purchased 2 and just installing the batteries broke them and I had to return for refund, I have a Aotec 4 button fob but that’s not supported. Any ideas and an answer on the iris smart key question is greatly appreciated.

08%20PM

This one? The NanoMote? They are supported on Hubitat.

Hank distributes them too, with slightly different markings.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0799SF1KC/ref=twister_B07DGLZ4JT?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

1 Like