Looks like Inovelli is close on releasing their new switches

I have a 3 switch (4-way) setup with 2 Inovelli red-series dimmer and 1 Zooz zen21 on/off (non-scene capable) switch controlling line-wired smart recessed zigbee bulbs (group of 6).

The lag using the Inovelli switches, based on my unscientific measurements, is approx. 1 sec...I could hit switch to turn on or off the light and take 2 1/2 step into the room before the lights react (and with ramp/dim rates of the lights at minimum). The same action using the Zooz switch is nearly instant (0.5sec or less) and the Zooz switch feels very similar to using a dumb switch. Remotely controlling the Inovelli switches is also nearly instantaneous.

I hope they come out with a firmware update to change the button press lag (or turn off completely)...I am using 2x press down to dim the lights in steps and 2x up for full bright, but dont' need 5+ presses up or down for anything.

I put an Inovelli red series dimmer in my hallway, along with an Aeotec bypass so that it would work with my integrated LED fixture. It's been working great for a few weeks now, but the other day I noticed an issue when the light didn't turn on as expected (based on motion sensors.) I tried turning it on using the dimmer switch, and when it didn't work I noticed that the LED strip on the dimmer was not on. I thought maybe the dimmer had gotten into a bad state somehow, so I pulled the air gap switch out for a few seconds to reset it, but the switch still didn't come on.
At that point, I moved on with what I was doing previously and planned to come back to it later. When I came back in view of the hallway again about 20 minutes later, the hall light was turned on and the switch working normally.
A day or two later, I found the light and switch both dark again, but once again I was in the middle of something and didn't have time to troubleshoot at the moment. Later that day, the light and switch were working normally.
Has anyone seen anything like this with inovelli (or other brand) switches/dimmers? What could cause this sort of behavior?

I installed my first Inovelli dimmer and had slowdowns and such with HE afterwards. I found another posting suggesting to look and see if was connected using the S2 secure protocol that is typically used for locks. I found it using the secure protocol. I then removed the dimmer from my z-wave network. Now everything works as expected. It's suggested to not connect the dimmer with the secure protocol.

@letchcj how do you check and see if the dimmer is using the S2 protocol? I look at the one I have and didn't see it? Thanks

Hubitat doesn't currently support S2, we support S0, and unless you've gone into settings, zwave details and changed secure join from the default setting of locks / garage doors to all secure zwave, these devices aren't going to join with security.

1 Like

Sounds like me. I fight with Alexa all the time . If it wasn't for WFA I would scrape the alexa's all together

Thanks @mike.maxwell for the clarification.

Talking about the GE switches, how is the feel of the Inovelli vs GE? Although the GE switches have their issues, that click feel of tapping them is much better than any other switch I've found and is a huge part of WAF for me. I'd love to give the Inovelli a try if they have a similar feel.

1 Like

I just replaced a GE dimmer with a Red series dimmer. I prefer the feel of the GE. The GE has a firm feel vs a squishy feel on the red series.

1 Like

Agree

I have a red series on/off switch.

The lag after a button press is noticable. I assumed it was because I used the switch to control a Philips Hue scene.

From reading this thread am I to understand that the lag might be due to button press on the switch and that if it had a firmware update, it might change this behavior?

Cuz I absolutely love this switch but I just like the lag.

My intuition was the Inovelli was slightly slower, but not quite annoyingly so, but I wanted something quantifiable, so I did a few completely unfair trials of each. (Both were measured on my "Zigbee hub" with the ST Button paired directly and the Inovelli coming through via websockets on HubConnect, so probably exaggerating the difference more.) The smallest difference I got was 260 ms; the longest I got when my hub wasn't acting a bit slow (my Z-Wave hub is also my "questionable code" hub) was 510 ms. This was for a single press of the Inovelli button and a single press of the ST button, with me trying my best to do it at the same time.

Terrible methodology all around, but it's something. :slight_smile: I imagine multi-taps would have a similar or smaller difference (the Inovelli should know you're done after a fifth tap, for example).

1 Like

Awesome :slight_smile: You've convinced me to buy a couple of these for my kitchen, and deploy more from there.

If it's of any interest, they just announced at CES that they plan to make Zigbee version. In-wall Zigbee devices are sorely lacking, especially ones this feature-rich, so even though it will probably be years, I'm tempted to not buy anymore until then. Haha.

5 Likes

You can basically eliminate the turn on lag by reducing the ramp up rate to 0.

The GE switches definitely have a better feel in my opinion, as do the Homeseer ones as well. Bit I think the $ per feature trade off is worth it.

2 Likes

We're talking about a different issue, not the ramp rate. Because the paddle supports multi taps, it has to wait when you're done tapping most of the time to see if you are going to do more. If you tap up once to turn the lights on, for example, the switch won't send that event for just a bit until it decides you aren't doing more. (This is true even for the Black Series that doesn't support multi-taps, but I know at least there they plan a firmware update to address it. They could on the Red Series too if you wanted to disable this feature, but I'm not if they are planning on that or not.)

2 Likes

I'm sure your correct.

I can say that I'm not seeing a delay on my Red Series dimmers after adjusting the ramp rate. Before doing so it took a whole second for the lights to turn on. I was not impressed but after dialing that back they come on nearly instantly. At least as fast as my other GE and HS switches. But yes, perhaps a millisecond of a delay compared to an analog switch.

1 Like

That's still a different issue. The ramp rate cannot affect when the dimmer/switch sends scene (button) events--it still has to wait to make sure you're not doing more if you do less than 5 taps. That being said, the default 3-second ramp rate is unbearably slow, and many bulbs probably don't do much (or anything) at the low end, so making that faster will definitely reduce the time it takes to finish turning on, and if you have a bulb that doesn't do anything at super-low dim levels, it will reduce the time it spends there, when it may possibly not doing anything at all, which would therefore reduce the time it takes before actually shows that it's starting to turn on. :slight_smile:

GE and HomeSeer aren't really fair comparisons. Or really, they are fair comparisons to a scene-enabled Inovelli, so you'd need something else to see what a single-tap-only switch is like. HomeSeer supports up to 5 taps, just like the Inovelli, so you'd run into the same issue. Most GE switches have poorly documented multi-taps up to three taps, so it would be pretty similar.

1 Like

I was scratching my head over this one. I didn't recall such a slow ramp rate. Then it dawned on me - I have the switches and not the dimmers. :wink:

I've decoupled the local control from the switches so everything is actually processing through Hubitat.

Yes, you're correct. The bulbs I'm using are just average so the ramp rate at zero reduced perceived turn on time from forever to basically instant.

I'm unable to detect a difference between GE, HS, or Inovelli after this modification (dimmers).