Looks like Inovelli is close on releasing their new switches

I am experiencing the lag (0.5-1 second) even from the Hubitat device page and pressing the ON button. Is that normal as well?

No, but if it's not related to a hub slowdown or Z-Wave mesh issue, could it be the ramp rate? The default is very slow (3 seconds for any kind of on event), and if you have bulbs that don't light up at all at low levels, it could cause a delay. Adjusting the minimum brightness parameter if you find that this applies to your lights may help, as could adjusting the Z-Wave or physical ramp-on time. You could easily check by issuing a setLevel(1) from the device page yourself and seeing how far up you have to go (1, 2, 3, etc...) before your bulbs light up. Just a guess! Otherwise, it's probably one of the other things I mentioned.

This is what I’ve done to significantly reduce the delays.

Set all of the ramp rates and dim rates to 0 on the dimmer. There was a mistake in the driver that was setting the wrong parameters for those 4 settings. Set them to 0 and do not use 101. I’m not sure if this was fixed in the latest drivers or built in drivers but I noticed it in the driver code I was working with.

Then set your min and max dimming levels. Start with the min and find the number around when it turns on. For most of my lights they turn on at about 25. And set the max at which you stop noticing a change. For me its usually around 85. By doing this you eliminate what you think of as a delay as it’s no longer dimming from 0 to 25 and will turn on right away.

After doing this I set my dim levels and ramps rates to what I liked. I usually leave dim rate at 0 as I like instant on and off but change ramp rates to 3 so I can dim them as needed.

The delay is very minimal. I think it’s this way just so it can handle the multi taps. It needs to at least wait to know if you are finished tapping. But it’s very minimal and not annoying at all.

I have about 25 switches and summers installed in my place and this helped a lot and the WAF is now high.

I see the 2.1.8.115 now contains Inovelli drivers. Don't see any documentation on them. I tried just changing the driver but with the switch child device driver from Inovelli it now shows errors. Does the new Hubitat version not support the multi tap?

@greg.cole it won’t support the inovelli child devices.. And it seems from another thread it is limited on how many taps it will allow..

Well back to the Inovelli driver! Once I got it working, I like the multi tap to control other outlets in the room.

Yeah the in-box drivers are often less feature filled. They have the main features that directly map to standard capabilities and structure, but anything outside of that construct are typically left out.

They put in all they can, without making a bunch of custom / one-off / device specific functions.

So often user drivers are better, if you want all functionality from a device.

Yes with the new built in drivers you don't' seem to have the ability to set default on level by switch or Z-Wave on command along with the ability to dynamically disable local control. I use the default level and disable local control to handle evening and night actions of the switch. In awake mode the lights in the bedrooms turn on about 30%. In sleep mode I disable the local control over the switch and take the event from the switch to turn on floor lighting.

Just as a heads up, I have a mix of on/offs and dimmers and the dimmers have less delay (when the ramp rate is set to 0) than the on/off switches. My old GE switches (which also support multi-tap) have at least half the delay of the dimmers IMO. Hard to time all this but the GEs are most definitely the fastest and would love an Inovelli firmware update to be able to set the delay for multi taps.

Agree

But the ge dimmer doesn’t have that cool rgb bar for notifications :grin:

Hehe yup. And I also had a couple of them fail on me within 2 years so decided to try Inovelli out!

1 Like

I am writing an app to manage the notifications on these .. So notifications don’t have to be configured on the device itself and can be sent to groups of dimmers...

3 Likes

How did you get your GEs to work fast? I have GE dimmer with the AUX switch, an when it's been idle for a bit it can take up to 1.5 seconds to turn on the light from the main switch.

I have the GE 14291 and 14294 and never seen them have a delay from the main switch in over 2 years of usage so that's interesting to me. Maybe you have a faulty switch?

Just wanted to post an opinion on these for those diving in. I bought 8 of these (6 reds, 2 blacks) and there are a few things that would prevent me from getting more (not to mention finding a use for all of them). I've also changed what type of use they'll have in the house.

• They are not as solid feeling as the GE's and the new Enbrighten's (which are smaller)
  • That config button is horrendously large and in the way when you round a corner or fat-finger a tap up. Yes, you can invert the switch, but now your LED looks way off. When you hit the config button and the top button at the same time, the switch obviously won't do anything. This gives the impression (to your family) that you have to hit the switch multiple times.
  • It's awesome that it can do a 3-way/4-way w/ease, but you have to read the fine print/schematics on it because it requires the load wire from the breaker-panel. We preferred the feel of dumb switches w/smart functionality, so throwing these switches in the boxes furthest from the load wire (the ones we don't normally use) was not possible w/out some re-work and an aux switch back for the main switch box. Not something I felt like doing- plus these are huge...
  • Huge, just like the Gen1/2 GE's (not Enbrighten's). This also decides where I place them in which boxes, as I try not to put 3 of them in a single box (hence why I want dumb switches on my 3-ways but then run into the load-wire issue).
  • The ground terminal on these and the unit size forces me on most of my older boxes (the hard-as-nails old thick PVC kind) to break-out the Dremel and shave the box where the screw for tightening the switch goes. PITA.
  • It wasn't clear to me about needing two drivers, one for the main switch and one for the notifications/multi-tap features- but easy enough to figure out and it's reliable.

At the end of the day, my wife and family just don't like them as much as the GE/Enbrighten's. Mostly because of the config button issue. I don't like them because I can't use them how I intended (w/out needing the load wire). My fault, I should have RTFM and looked more closely at the schematics. So, I've relegated them to be devices for the always-on applications (front door lights, garage door lights, etc) or switches that are visible, but barely used, where I set up a notification light. As an example, I have one of them in front of my stairs that will turn Red when any of our locks are unlocked and that is very helpful as we pass it on our way to bed.

Just some thoughts and opinions.

Well I am just the opposite, I love these compared to my other smart switches and have been swapping them out for the inovelli ones. Wife loves them also, now she wants all the switches changed out. Especially like the dimmers, just discovered the other day you can adjust the max and min settings for the dimming levels and also how long it take to turn on and off. I ran out of on/off and had an extra dimmers and was able to make it into an on/off. I have had only one issue with them and that was when the power went out the did not revert to the state specified in the settings, I wanted some to turn on on restore of power, but they did not, and that should be a simple firmware fix.

But everyone has there own likes and dislikes and there are plenty of brands to select from. I just love how much customization they have, and now with the dimmer/fan coming out soon and the led strips, dual on/off and possibly in the future tripple on/off, dual drummers and more I can wait to get some and see what else this company has to offer. They have outstanding support. But you like what you like. :slight_smile:

I understand both sides of the arguments but I find the pro's outway the cons for me.

I just finished upgrading my entire house to all inovelli red's and love the customization options. Working with the group associations also opened up a bunch of hub free options too. When I flip on switch A then switch B does the same thing automatically, without a hub. It works with other zwave devices too that support associations. Its a nice feature.

One of the automations the wife loves has to do with the notifications. When any of my automated lights are triggered via motion the notification led pulses to show that it will turn off when no motion is detected. If you press up it will then go solid and stay on. If its off and you double press down it will set it to red and a disabled mode where they won't turn on via motion. Its a small thing that she likes.

1 Like

Can do that on the current generation GE as well.

Can do that on the current generation GE as well.

:slight_smile: But all smart assiness aside - I agree with you. There is no right or wrong answer, and everyone should use what works for them!

While I'm a GE guy in general (mainly due to the motion dimmer/switches) I am definitely jealous of the programmable leds. :smile:

Someone posted on the Facebook group... you can get unboxed Inovelli Red Series for $29! I'd been waiting for something like this, and ordered two to see how they work in my house. A friend of mine is also interested in the results of that test. :slight_smile:

https://inovelli.com/shop/smart-light-switches/zwave-smart-switches-gen2/unboxed-z-wave-dimmer-switch/

I may be the odd one out, but a lot of times my preference is to shut LEDs on devices off :sweat_smile: