Looking forward to move from ST

Yea, but that still isn't 400 rules...

2 Likes

on the ST my calculation is for 2 light sources, a button, and a motion tracker I have

• 3 "turn on and set level" on motion rules
  • turn off when motion stops
  • lights sync rule
  • normal on\off on button click
  • turn off everything when I'm leaving home

want to add

• turn off second light when button clicked
  • disable motion when the vacuum cleaner is operating

so 7 - 9 rules for 4 devices only for light.
Now I have 5 rooms (kitchen, bathroom + 2 rooms) with two light sources and a living room with 4 light sources and 6 switches and an Aqara cube.
Add smart thermostats, vacuum with per-room cleaning. 48 devices\ incl virtual total, and more than 60 rules at this moment.

I think you can do everything you listed in the bullet points in Motion Lighting, with only 1 rule. You might need some additional virtual switches, or additional modes for things like the vacuum, but essentially you don't need anything approaching 9 rules for this relatively straightforward automation.

That would be crazy if you needed that many rules in something like Hubitat. Maybe in a dumber system like Smartthings you might need 9 rules, but even then I think that is a lot.

3 Likes

I agree with @neonturbo. You can combine most of your rules down to just a few. Some devices may need a couple of rules based on some weird outlier that is difficult but that shouldn't be the norm.

Here's a rule that turns off everything, locks the door, and sets the alarm once my wife and I are both in bed. There are about 200ish devices in this rule.

Other cases I use apps specifically written to cover a whole host of situations such as my auto-lock app.

1 Like

Just moved two homes, two Smartthings Hubs, to 1x Hubitat Hub at one location and 2x Hubitat Hubs at the other.. The mesh feature to get multiple hubs to work together is amazing.. The backup features are awesome, and everyone can tell a difference of responsiveness over smartthings.

I have a TON of google hubs, etc. in the home and I love the community google home integration app because it gives me full control over how google home sees devices. Its an optional app you can install using the Hubitat Package Manager, also community made.

Overall it took me about two weeks to get fully converted over to hubitat, and it was worth every second of the work.

Also I decided to go with Webcore vs Rule Engine. I just really like whats been done with that and it works great on these hubitat hubs.

• Shane
3 Likes