Looking for a low cost "dry" contact sensor using Zigbee or Z-wave plus for HE

For $45 - I can buy 4 Sonoff ZBminis! Since my applications has 110 VAC power for the Seco-Larm then I would need to buy an additional power supply for the battery operated, contact sensor to
add more reliability to my system. Since this Seco-Larm is picking up only sidewalk visitors then it is a non-critical security warning sensor/device.

1 Like

Might also consider adding one of these to your order.... just in case :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Cheaper is better if it works. When I find something cheap that works reliability then I buy in large quantities to save money.

Cheap and easy to solder a set of wires to each side of the switch and use as desired.

There's a handful of threads showing details of how to do this to a couple of different vendor's contacts.

Adding to this older thread on a low cost solution ($3-$6) for a Zigbee Dry Contact Input. I'm using a Water Sensor with a Remote Sensor. I cut the end of the sensor off and soldered the lead ends (note the wires are thin, like 24awg). I changed the Device Type to a Zigbee Contact Sensor and when the leads are touching the device shows closed, when not touching the device shows open.

Tuya Zigbee Water Sensor Alarm Water Leak Detector Flood Alert Overflow Security Alarm System Works With Zigbee Gateway

I have one in use and it works great.

Virtually any water leak sensor that has two metal contact points is looking for a change in resistance to trigger the sensor. I clip the sensor off and take the two wires and use them as contact closure sensors for relays and such. As an example my home alarm system 12vdc output to the siren is tied to a 12vdc relay. If energized it will short the two wires giving me a "wet" trigger, HE then sends me a text to let me know that my alarm siren is active. Really inexpensive and been using them for this type of application for years successfully. Hope that helps j

1 Like

Second vote for this device. Long battery life, simple screw contact inside the case, and is easy to add/remove to Z-wave. On Amazon here.

1 Like

I use the ThirdReality zigbee water leak sensor as a dry contact sensor. Connect your switch contacts to the existing external screws and you are good to go. AA battery provides more than a year of service.

Exactly! I have boxes of stuff saving me money right now!

6 Likes

Don't we all!

1 Like