Local Control Options for MyQ Garage Door Openers

Mine was easy to setup, and it has worked great. As with all devices YMMV. One of the fantastic things about HE is there are many ways to solve the same problem. How did you end up incorporating you Chamberlain door opener into HE?

That really only applies if you are trying to wire the ZEN16 directly to the opener itself. Instead of wiring it to the opener, wire it to the remote/wall button directly. At the end of the day, if you're pushing a mechanical button, there's always going to be a physical circuit you can bridge.

3 Likes

I do not as getting a garage door into HE is not that important to me. The opener has an auto close feature that closes the door after 10 mins (adjustable). I would never automate a garage door opening event. I've settled on using Apple Home for phone control, so that works some times. The MyQ app works even when Home doesn't. If I really wanted to get it into HE, I'd probably use Home Assistant as a bridge as their developer(s) seem to keep on top of MyQ changes.

Yes, you are correct and I should have been more clear. I was replying to the post that said following the ZEN16 instructions here worked without issue. In that context, it won't work without issue if the opener has MyQ built-in.

The workaround of wiring inside the wall control (or a remote) is already being discussed in this thread.

I've got the Garadget button with wires already soldered to the button on order - $19 shipped and have an existing relay to use with it. I like this solution. In addition to not having to mess with the existing control, you don't even have to install it at the opener or at the wall switch (if you get the one that is a remote control rather than the wall switch). It should work from practically anywhere in the house.

2 Likes

I agree @bill.d. I only use it to make sure it is closed, along with my other exterior doors.

2 Likes

I automate the door opening for two events:

1. When I drive up in my car (so basically at least once a day). This is done based on a Samsung arrival sensor.
  2. When thereโ€™s a smoke alarm.
2 Likes

I have pondered this one. I even bought a Tailwind controller to do this. I never installed it, since their local API hasn't materialized yet (they keep saying it's on its way.)

Interesting. :thinking: That's worth serious consideration.

Thanks @aaiyar!

1 Like

The thought was to make it easier for the fire department. My garage is part of my townhouse.

2 Likes

I would agree that there are security considerations here. I think I have addressed my personal concerns to my satisfaction by doing the following:

1. For geofencing, I use OwnTracks with my Home being defined as 300 meters around my house. When my phone enters the geofence, I set a Boolean to be true for 5 minutes (after 5 minutes, it gets reset to be false).
  2. If the SmartThings arrival sensor is picked up by Hubitat during those 5 minutes that the Boolean is true, the door opens. There's a further time restriction on this - it only happens from 6AM-9PM.

My door hasn't opened accidentally in 2+ years. I think the probability of two separate events happening within 5 minutes (my phone entering/leaving the geofence AND the SmartThings arrival sensor being detected) is low.

3 Likes

So the API upgrade caught up to me - stopped working Thursday.

So here's what I'm planning - someone stop me if I'm doing something stupid.

I'm buying 2 Security+ 2.0 Wired Dry Contact Adapter โ€“ Garadget (I have 2 garage doors).

I'm buying 1 Zooz Z-Wave Plus 700 Series Universal Relay ZEN17 with 2 NO & NC Relay - The Smartest House

My intent is to connect the Zen17 to BOTH of the dry adapters and just run a longer wire to the second door.

Then I should be able to open/close each door using R1 and R2 connections, right?

2 Likes

Sounds like that should work. I also am controlling two doors but chose to use the three button wireless remote from Garadget and the 2 channel Zigbee smart relay. I chose the wireless option not wanting to run or splice wire and although the remote will require a battery change every year or two I can place it most anywhere in my house or garage so access will be easy.

Ah! Two factor authentication!! Great idea @aaiyar i will be considering this.

1 Like

Not sure I would go for this... I'm probably overthinking it (90% probability of this), but I wouldn't want to open exterior doors automatically in the event of a fire in fear of providing it as much fresh oxygen as it wants... especially if the fire originates in the garage (which I'm assuming is directly below your living area for a townhouse).

1 Like

Thanks for all of your hardware suggestions. I received my 2 port relay today and the Garadget will be here Monday.

Did you secure the ZigBee relay in the box in some way or just lay it in there?

I'm torn on this. On the one hand, the oxygen thing is real. But how far from the road my house is, and direction of the garage, nobody would see it smoldering for (possibly) hours if the door stayed shut. If the door was opened upon fire, maybe the smoke and flames would attract attention?

And the other thing I thought about doing is opening the garage and unlocking all the entry doors so maybe a neighbor could check on things, or maybe they could even let the animals out of the house in case of emergency.

Not sure what the right answer is here???

hrm... If attention is your goal, siren?

I am setting up the Zen16 and a Chamberland clicker to open and close both doors.

its as simple as shorting two pins on each side for each door. then automate that.. I also have the battery connected to a power supply so I dont need to charge it. :slight_smile:

Chamberlain KLIK5U-BK2 Clicker 2-Button Garage Door Opener Remote with Visor Clip, Black - - Amazon.com

1 Like

I'm working on getting the parts I'm using Smart Implant.

I will share once I'm done and I have all fo the parts.

1 Like

I received my Garadget Security+ 2.0 Wired Dry Contact Adapter about an hour ago and it is installed and working as expected. It helped that I had a low-voltage wire pair at the opener itself run to my HA closet from pre-MyQ opener/pre-Hubitat days. The experience buying from Garadget was excellent - I went from placing the order on Friday to having it in hand Monday. I went with the Garadget install ready wall button because all the sources I had found for that wall button were around the same price without the soldered wires. I've since found a source for $13.23 shipped (Buy Liftmaster 883LMW Door Control Button Wholesale | Preferred Doors LLC | Houston TX) but am happy with the solution I chose. It's too hot to solder today.

Of course, now I'm experiencing mission creep. The 883LMW Liftmaster button does have a light control button on the side. It would have been nice to have a wire pair soldered to that too so I could automate the garage door opener light. That would be particularly attractive had I used something like the MHCOZY 2 channel ZigBee relay (or any of the dry contact options discussed that have two channels). Then again, automating the garage light would have limited utility - you couldn't have a rule to make sure it is off without some way to tell its current state.

5 Likes

I am using the Meross wifi garage door opener. Meross: Simple Device, Simplify Your Life. I have the non-homekit version as I use Homebridge V2 to expose them. I also have myQ enable openers, so I had to get the accessory provided via an email to support which is a universal remote with an extra signal cable soldered on to it. Easy to install. The driver for it just changed recently due to a firmware update from meross, but it is all working with local control (there is a PR outstanding). See this thread. Meross Garage Opener - #30 by Demon

The accessory that Meross will send is called RGR910 see photo.