List of Good Zigbee Repeaters

Hi,
I am in the UK and struggling to find good Zigbee repeaters. Is there a way the list of supported devices could have that as an attribute?

It is currently quite hard to find the info. Even some sellers have no idea if their units repeat.
Is it fair to say most plugged in items will repeat, like bulbs or plugs?
Currently also looking for a UK socket. I found a wireless one, but not a zigbee one. I am sure if I could find one it would make a great repeater.

do you have access to iKea? their tradfri outlets work good.

1 Like

The smartthings socket repeats well unless you have xiaomi devices (they don’t repeat them)
The ikea sockets are cheap, will repeat just about anything (including xiaomi)
BUT, they don’t have power measurement on/off only.

The ultimate zigbee repeater is an xbee, they are powerfull and will repeat anything but not exactly ‘plug n play’ and are only used for repeating (and mapping your network)

Andy
(Also in the UK)

Ah Ikea again. I have the bulbs... and the remote control, but the remote does not work with HE it seems at present. so I have avoided the others. I will try a couple of outlets. Thanks.
Xiaomi I have had mixed success with, I have a cube but its response is a bit hit and miss, as is the button.

Really looking for a robust system, and it appears more difficult than I could have imagined :slight_smile:

Any other units that work well for you?
this one is good, although not got the colour changing yet:
https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/lighting/smart-lighting/trådfri-led-bulb-e27-980-lumen-wireless-dimmable-white-spectrum-opal-white-art-10318263/

i posted this on another thread, but if you are looking for repeaters in the UK, the seller tells me this is one. I cannot currently test it:

@rupert.bowling1
I can confirm that they work as zigbee repeaters.
Not only that, but they repeat Xiaomi devices too :slight_smile:
(At least they seem to)

I have 2 already and 2 on the way :slight_smile:

Andy

Recently ordered one of those zigbee switches linked above to use for kitchen lighting.
Was now looking for a zigbee repeater to reach the garage and am now eagerly awaiting the device to see it does the job.
It's for a Xiaomi sensor...

Take care with those. Reports of these units melting are on Reddit. I don't know how true it is but the people say they are cheap because they took shortcuts with safety. The ones in the US here are not UL rated.

Further Reddit had reports of the ewelink app compromising emails and passwords. It is highly suggested you flash these devices. Don't let it connect to the Chinese servers.

I bought one of this company's devices in that past because of the price. I just ordered a replacement from a different company today cause I worry about the fire issue and I haven't been able to flash it.

Can you explain how this device is going to connect to any server?

3 Likes

sorry I was thinking their wifi devices or when using the device with the app.

being as these repeaters are Zigbee, they should work globally, right? I'm in Australia and need a good Zigbee repeater (I'm using the US frequency for all my Z-Wave stuff).

Yep!
Zigbee is a 'global' standard with the same frequency worldwide.

Andy

Ordered - thanks

Hi,
I just grabbed a couple off FleaBay and I'm in Sydney.

Anyone know if this is any good? Who couldn't use more USB ports in the house and they look pretty compact when compared to the larger outlet they make. Only drawback one might find is the loss of a plug. I don't use all of my plugs anyway.

If anyone is looking for these in the US, @kv1 found them on Amazon.com too.

However, these are not UL/CUL or CSA certified. CE is a self-certification, so these have not necessarily gone through the same testing rigors.

@JonL
There’s loads of comments on the forum about these guys being good, short range zigbee repeaters.
I don’t understand what your saying here- [quote="JonL, post:15, topic:8324"]
Only drawback one might find is the loss of a plug. I don't use all of my plugs anyway.
[/quote]
What plugs don’t you use ?
Do you mean that you don’t use all the available power outlets on you walls ?
Who does ? LOL

You can also plug those Trådfri repeaters into USB ports in TV’s and computers as they just need power and come apart from the mains adapter. :+1:t3:

1 Like

What an unusual situation.
The Tradfri Ikea repeater is cheaper in Canada than it is in the U.S.
What's going on?

1 Like

US trade tariffs?

Hey guys,
I just received one of these Zigbee On/Off Controllers which I'm wanting to utilise as a "repeater" so I'll be interested to see what it does when it's inserted into my Zigbee mesh.
First impression (I'm currently at work) is that it's quite small at 80x40x20mm and that I should be able to modify it to provide an isolated contact. see images below where I'd cut tracks "Red X" and make a single join "Green line".
Not that I'm going to do that with this one...but I have other plans..... he he he
1 2 3
Nice little cable clamps which are push to release.