HE > Hue Hub > Ikea Bulbs - blinking

No worries. Everyone starts somewhere. If you want to solve the TrĂĄdfri bulb issue, one of the repeaters paired to the Hue Bridge might solve the problem. Pair the other three repeaters with HE. Place them strategically in your concrete fortress. I've heard how Australian homes block all signals by nature. :upside_down_face: Pair the Xiaomi temp sensors and ST door sensors with HE as well.

The Hue and HE are operating independent Zigbee networks, and that's good. Keeps the lights, which typically DO repeat just beautifully amongst themselves, but often do not want to consistently repeat Zigbee signals when other devices are mixed in, on their own and happy. However, there are some people that have certain combinations, and say it works. Best and easiest, in my opinion is to just separate them. It's possible to do it well, and it works reliably. If you haven't installed it yet, you'll want to be using the Hubitat Hue Bridge Integration app.

I have a Xiaomi Aqara temp sensor. It works fantastic, but I do have a TrĂĄdfri outlet acting as a repeater 3 feet from it, so that needs to be considered. I have Xiaomi door sensors, and they work great with the TrĂĄdfri outlet downstairs, which is only 3 meters from the hub. I now have one additional repeater, also close to the hub. But, I don't have the barriers that you do with the house construction down there. The ST 2018 sensor I tried worked well, but I don't own any ST contact sensors, so I don't have personal experience. I've heard nothing bad about them with HE.

In regard to general health of the Zigbee network, you'll want the hub as central as possible. That can be unfeasible if the construction simply doesn't allow it. @Cobra in the UK uses a long USB extension to get the Z-Wave and Zigbee dongles just where he needs them. Several other users do the same, and perhaps you are doing that already.

The IKEA TrĂĄdfri repeaters you bought are these?

They will pair with HE as device. This is correct. You simply use the USB port on them if you want, but they are just devices on the Zigbee network, helping to relay the signal between the devices and the hub.

1 Like

Ah, I see re the repeater to the bridge.
Yep - I have the hue bridge integration installed and thats controlling the hue / tradfris bulbs currently.
My hub is smack bang in the middle of my house. The linen closet was there so when we built I had them put in a patch panel there for the router + all rooms have cat5 to them (wanted to reduce the wifi traffic as much as possible).
Yep - bought 4 online, bounced them to a mail forward in the US, then paid to have them shipped over to me (like $120 AUD all up).
Will put one of the repeaters between the bulbs and hub (for the hue) the other 3 I will pair to HE and have them between the ST multi-sensors and the HE.
Really appreciate this explanation, you've helped me heaps. Will report back once they land and have them integrated to see if that kills the blinking.

You lucky duck, as soon as I saw your post I knew you were not in the UST. over here hue connects to exactly, nothing, but hue overpriced gizmos.

:astonished: That's a $19.07 AUD premium over what they cost here in Toronto.

I do sincerely hope they're all working well when you receive them. IKEA can have quality issues from time to time.

that would, make me sad.. lol

Very. Think positive.
There are some other devices that I'm reading are turning out to be good Zigbee repeaters, and seem to be Xiaomi compatible. This device was posted by @rupert.bowling1 and confirmed by @Cobra to work with HE.

https://www.amazon.com.au/TOOGOO-Wireless-Universal-Intelligent-Controller/dp/B07PR32JSD/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=Switch+Module+for+Echo%2FSmart+Things+Hub+Module&qid=1561350477&s=gateway&sr=8-1

1 Like

I appreciate the link, but if I didnt know I could pair a repeater to the hue, I sure as hell dont know how to wire up a repeater without electrocuting myself.. lol

1 Like

Understood. If you're not comfortable you shouldn't do it. You only need two wires, The incoming mains power (Line and Neutral) for a device where your only intention is to use it as a repeater.

if I could strip a usb cable (or similar), and have the other end connect to this i'd give it a go.
Would it be something I could buy and take to a local electronics place and they'd give me the right piece to power this?
im thinking somewhere like jaycar for me (https://www.jaycar.com.au/)

It’s a 240v powered device not low power like USB.
If you’ve got a friendly electrician they could throw a 3 pin plug on one side and a bayonet or screw, light socket on the other. Then you’d be good to go.
I doubt Jaycar staff would do it for you but there no harm in asking.
Alternatively ikea sell Lamp kits which usually are a power cord with an in-line switch and a lamp socket. Just cut the switch off and wire up the Zigbee unit.
I’ve got one on order so I can let you know how it works out.
Please note:
L = A = Brown
N= N = Blue
E = E = Green/Yellow = Ground

If the above makes no sense - don’t attempt to wire any 240v parts. :smirk::ok_hand:t3:

1 Like

More to the point of a repeater, you don't even need a socket on the other side. Yes it can be used as a controllable power switch, but if you're just looking to use it as a Zigbee repeater, you only need to attach a power cord to it.

@njanda What does A stand for in Australian wiring? Is that the Aus wire? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

This device doesn't have a means for grounding. What's the electrical code in Australia? Do you have ungrounded devices or is a ground wire a requirement on all devices (which is technically impossible to implement in 100% of devices)?

1 Like

I might be better off sticking to overpaying for ikea USB repeaters, save me burning my house down trying to get my hues lights to work properly.. lol

A = Active
We have Active, Neutral and Earth/ground

Items do not HAVE to be grounded but the 240v mains supply is Earth referenced.

Active is 240v AC potential difference from ground.
The Neutral is a return conductor for current to go back to a common ground.
Earth/ ground is for safety. Usually connected to a devices metal chassis.

2 Likes

A device can be Double Insulated which ensures there is zero possibility of a loose or damaged wire making contact with an external conducting part.
Double Insulated devices just have Active and Neutral wiring. 2 pin plugs etc.

1 Like

I see this also with my HUE, IKEA and HE combo in my summer house. I also have a HUE only at home with IKEA bulbs, but never see the blinking there. I don't see the same amount of blinking as you, but once in a while it seems to happen.

1 Like

@stevebott123 did you ever get to the bottom of this? I have intermittent blinking from Tradfri bulbs too

nope - still got them in use, still get random blinks here and there.

cheap arse bulbs...

1 Like

yes mike, we know ur position on them :stuck_out_tongue:
But on this island where devices are hard to come by and typically 400% higher price for the devices they do stock, sometimes you have to go with what you can buy/afford.

1 Like

@stevebott123

I have spoken to Ikea this morning and they have suggested some bulbs are bad batches and or the Zigbee network may need improving.
The person I spoke to has a Hue and he has never had the issue but has heard of it. They suggested trying to pinpoint which bulb/bulbs it might be by removing the flashing culprits and see if it fixes itself (and then replace it with IKEA)