LIFX Built-in drivers - questions and discussion

@argyrou @j.koss2 Not to toot my own horn (at least not too loud), would suggest you check out the new "Enhanced" driver for multizone that I just published: [BETA] LIFX Enhanced Drivers

This utilizes the current state of each zone and the SetExtendedColorZones packet to adjust the level of each zone without changing the other values for hue, saturation, or kelvin.

2 Likes

Looks great. Having resolved the first issue, the popcorn effect on Strips is something that annoys me a bit every time, so I will give it a try next time I have a LIFX Strips day! :slight_smile:

Thank you! I've added your driver (and configured), but after some initial tests, it appears to still change the color each time, even after manual polling. After reviewing your code, I don't believe it is that, but I intend to go through the logs and find out why. I'll follow up here if I find anything.

Hi there, found this thread after running into the same issue you had requiring double tap. Have you found a solution?

Is Hubitat the only thing that's controlling the LIFX lights? It's best not to allow e.g. Alexa or the LIFX phone app to control them.

1 Like

I am starting to automate my LIFX setup using Hubitat. I have 8 LIFX bulbs in my living room ceiling and when I add them to a Hubitat Light Group to control them as one I get the popcorn effect. Any idea on how to prevent this from happening? I have a few ideas I was going to experiment with but figured I would try this forum first. Thank you in advance and thank you to the developer community.

As a side note I did come across this [BETA] LIFX Enhanced Drivers? I also had the idea of programming, let's call it a virtual lifx bulb, where it could be picked up by the LIFX app and Hubitat and respond as a real bulb. But it would essentially be a "proxy bulb" if you will for all of the other bulbs behind it under its control.

[EDIT] After some experimentation I found the popcorn effect to be lessened when I set the transition time to 1 s.

Additionally is there a way to set the transition time to something under 1 second? I believe the LIFX app configures this at 500 ms but will verify what the exact number is.

1 Like

I requested that a while ago, bcopeland said they would do it but haven't seen any updates since. Hoping it's still in the works.

HI Alan,
Have you looked at the Nue zigbee switches on Amazon.com.au They say they rated at 240VAC

I have a couple of 2 gang Lifx switches and got sick of them loosing connection to the Lifx server. So when I heard the Hubitat could control them directly I went out and bought one.
I have an issue, because the Lifx switch driver only operates one of the two switches and the 4-gang driver doesn't appear to work with the 2-gang switch.
Any advice?

Check out this post:

It implied that the 4-gang switch driver could be used if the LIFX app is configured as "non-lifx loads"

Howdy, do your drivers support the A60 Nightvision 1200 lumen bulb? I can’t see any reference to it since this post.

I've been usingy BR30 nightvision bulbs with the standard color driver - which works fine for color control. But I do still have to use the LIFX app in the rare moment that I want to adjust the IR settings.

2 Likes

Awesome, thank you.

OK....new to the game here. Brand new LIFX bulb and integrated Hubitat app.

Is there documentation on what all these setting in the driver are and do? I mean I was able to set the color, flash the bulb, turn off and on. What are all these settings? And the dashboard tile for "color bulb" does not affect the bulb at all. Only through the actual device driver can changes be made (other than

off/on, dim, and temp change). Am I missing something?

If you look at the Set Color button, you'll see that it has a hint. For that button, you set HLS (Hue, level, saturation) in one go. But the driver, like the bulbs, support them being set independently.. thus the 3 individual buttons.

You can set the dimmer level via the Set Level button, which wants the final dimmer level and what the ramp rate will be, in seconds. You can mimic a wall dimmer that uses the up paddle to increase the lamp brightness by holding it. The Start Level Change button does the same, it's like pressing the up paddle or down paddle. The Stop Level Change button is the same as removing your finger from the wall paddle.

The reason all of these are here is to expose them to the Automation logic. In other words, when you try to automate, you can tell the automation to "press that button" Want Daylight (5000 Kelvin)? Then in an automation you could pick the Set Color Temperature action and give it a value of 5000.

In general, this Device Info screen is barely used after the first 10 mins of Including a device. OR when troubleshooting because these pages are as close to the device as possible. In other words, if clicking one of these buttons doesn't work, then it won't work via a Dashboard tile either.

2 Likes

@csteele Thank you...just FYI, in the current driver for LIFX, when the bulb is set to "Flash" from the device section, the "current state" still states "off". See attached, I placed the bulb in "flash" mode and took the screenshot. I don't know if this matters much, since the 5.1 rule machine can command "off" to this bulb, and

it does turn it off. Would be nice for completeness, though.

I'll defer to an expert but I think Flash is driver instigated, not a single command from hub to bulb. It's emulated in other words. I would concur that Flash is a mystery condition, not exactly on nor off. Transient all the time.

Great news! LIFX firmware update.

Is this going to interfere with Hubitat control?

My LIFX lights are working perfectly.

Who wants to go first?

If your lights are already working "perfectly", why is a firmware update "great news"?