LIFX Built-in drivers - questions and discussion

Very odd, I get that same message in the LIFX app, but when I try to update firmware it says all my devices are up to date, although it looks as though they're all on 3.60 which is from around 2020 I think.

Perhaps it's not available for UK users yet?

3.90 is the new version that is being pushed out.

Same for me, I'm in the US. I think they pushed the message to all users in the app, without checking what bulbs are actually registered on the account.

From the LIFX release page, it looks like older chipsets are not being updated. I haven't bought any new bulbs in a couple years, some are on 3.60 and some still on 2.77

Mine are all autoupdate and at 3.90

Same, I have 3 different Lifx types and all updated to 3.90.

I auto-updated all bulbs. No problems. I have some older BR30 bulbs that show firmware v2.9 now but newer bulbs show v3.9 now. I didn't check prior to the update. I have about ten bulbs in use currently and they have always worked perfectly. My first and favorite smart bulbs even if they are WiFi. I used them in a rental house I was staying in temporarily and wanted to smarten up without altering the wiring. I just taped the wall switches on. That was in my SmartThings days. Life was simpler then ....

What exactly is the "polling" option for with the LIFX Drivers? Is it just to look for the device by MAC address if it's changed IP address?

No, this is primarily for cases where the bulbs are also controlled outside of Hubitat -- the polling enables Hubitat to periodically update its view of the bulb state to match the current actual state.

2 Likes

Cheers

It looks like that the "great news"-firmware update has changed the MAC-adress of my 3 bulbs.
I can tell because I made a DHCP export before moving from Fritz-Box to UDM.
I added reservations for them on UDM and after the upgrade they obtained random IP-adresses and therefore had not been controllable by the Hub anymore.

Anyone experienced something similar?

No and that shouldn't be possible like that.... Pull the bulb and the mac addr should be on the side of the bulb. It should match any pings you do to it.

Thanks, I am aware that a MAC is supposed to be a unique adress, but I wonder why the reservations with the former MAC were still persistant for the UDM and had to be deleted before adding them again with the old IP-adresses?
And of course I did some power-cycles before.

So maybe another strange Unifi-bug?

This MAC address change was discussed in a Reddit thread here. It's related to a change that was documented in the 3.70 update.

Interesting. I've never seen a product have to conform this way....

1 Like

That’s quite unusual!

Since the update, I’ve had 1 white globe continually fall off the network every couple of days.

I put in static IP reservations after the firmware upgrade so I know that isn’t the issue.

It’s very odd as this globe stays on all the time and is triggered only by motion.

Hmm, I had Wi-Fi Power Mgmt on in my router, I've turned this off and, based on googling, it should solve the issue.

I see that since 2.3.1 SetExtendedColorZones command has been fixed. Where can I access that command from?

I am probably missing something obvious, so I apologize in advance for that

I don't believe it's utilized in the built-in drivers -- @bcopeland fixed the associated Java Class defined within Hubitat, which unblocked my attempts to use it in my community "enhanced" driver -- but still not exposed directly as a raw "command" to be invoked.

1 Like

@bcopeland FEATURE REQUEST:

Can we please add an option to the driver to consider an "unresponsive" bulb as "Off"?

I have a couple of bulbs that get turned off at the light switch but, because they never show as "off", my automations to auto-turn-off the Laundry light et al never activate as HE thinks the lights never change state.

That would be very problematic..