Life360 Refresh command [SOLVED]

Awesome! Can't wait to see this implementation.

well, not all the consumers are sold on it currently...

I guess I was assuming that the periodic refresh would eliminate the out of sync issue entirely, but perhaps that's not the case.

Personally I don't mind the extra step of setting up a rule to perform the refresh. But, if it's something every user is required to do in order to maintain stable operation, it seems like it could be better integrated.

it would, that wasn't the point.
The point is, I have no knowledge of what automations that anyone has set up to run when these presence sensors change state, nor do I have any idea when nor why we get penalty boxed.

This whole refresh thing will sync these local devices with life360.
If they were out of sync when we do the refresh, events will be issued, and automations will fire.

If I scheduled anything reasonable in the background to do this work, there will always be a risk of some poltergeist type of event being generated, I can't allow that.

1 Like

Sorry, I wasn't clear -- I was assuming that the periodic refresh would eliminate getting "penalty boxed", thus the presence device would never fall out of sync. This assumption is only based on previous comments in this thread suggesting that Life360 connectors need to periodically phone home to ensure the access token doesn't expire.

If that's not the case, then I completely agree with your proposed approach.

Put down in the "yes, I like options" group.
I have only had this happen twice since I've had my hub. However if this happened while I was away from home and my wife's presence wasn't updated it would a pain with all the motion messages I would receive. It would be nice to have the option to send a refresh command from the dashboard.

I can see where scheduling a refresh could be problematic, but adding a disclaimer to the driver should be sufficient. "Think carefully about scheduling a refresh because it may have unintended consequences etc"

I like this idea. It gives me way more control on how and when I want a refresh.

I too like Mike's idea. Let the user either set up a periodic refresh with RM or use events to trigger the refresh (ie. mode changes to 'Home').

I like it. I can schedule the refresh when these 'sync'ing artifact automation's will be least impactful for me and others can choose to do so, or not based on their own setup.

This is great!

Thanks!

I'm not doing it with Hubitat. I was answering as to what the code level issue is.

Ok, the next update will install a special virtual button driver (named Life360 Refresh) the next time you open and save the app.
You can include this device in the dashboard where you can click it (use the button template, button id 1), you can open the driver and click push or refresh, or you can schedule something in RM if you wish.

9 Likes

I see this "virtual button" has been added in latest firmware. How would I schedule a refresh in RM, I don't see a push button option under actions?

The push button is for the dashboard, in rm use refresh.

Thanks for clarifying

Can anyone share how they're using the refresh button? I'd like to trigger it whenever we come home or whenever we leave.

I've just setup a daily trigger at 7:00 am to refresh the device. Haven't had it get out of sync frequently enough to justify anything more complex.

Thanks for your input @steve1. I hadn't been following very close until today. I just got some dashboards set up.

My wife and I went for a walk. I kept my phone, she left hers at home. When we were out of range, it never showed me as having left even though I had my phone. Life360 app had us in correct position.

When I got back home, I refreshed. Then I left for a business meeting in town. It showed that I left, but when I came back home, it never showed me as coming back home.

So that's twice in one day.

I was on a pretty good roll. I have about 90 devices working, but two of the most important things, my Nest thermostat and a reliable presence scheme are causing problems. These are important. I hope I can work them out.

I have Life360 refresh when both not present, away mode and motion active at the door.

I just added a RM Trigger to Refresh Life360 each time my garage door opens. We always use the garage door to enter and leave the house. So this should make sure Life 360 keeps reporting without issue.

To be honest, it has only failed to correctly update about two times since we started using Hubitat back in Feb/March.