Life360 Refresh command [SOLVED]

Sorry, should have clarified. My phone was off when I arrived back home (dead battery), but then I charged the battery and turned the phone back on. Hubitat still showed not present, while Life360 app on my phone reported "At Home".

I thought perhaps it did not get updated because I was inside the geofence when I turned my phone back on.

Ah, that makes a bit more sense :wink:.

In that case, yeah I think it should’ve worked. Wherever you were when your phone died, that’s where it’s last known location was. Once it turned on again, it’s as if you entered the geolocation at that moment, as far as Life360 knows.

@mike.maxwell

Is this an issue that's being worked on?

Can we get a "Refresh" command added to the Life360 Presence device?

Thanks!

Happened twice in last 12 hours. Last night my son left the house and my 'Away' routine executed even thought I was at home. I opened the Life360 Android app and it showed me as being home. I opened the Hubitat Life360 app and a moment later my 'Someone has arrived' routine fired.

This morning my Life360 Android app said my wife at work. The Hubitat Life360 device said she was at home. I opened the Hubitat Life360 app (remotely on my VPN) and moments later my 'Away' routine executed.

Frustrating.:worried:

Also happened to me last night, daughter went to friends house for the evening. Life360 showed her away from home, but hubitat didn't pick it up until I opened app and selected done.

To be clear, the reason I'm requesting the "Refresh" command for the Life360 Presence device is to add a backup Life360 method using IFTTT+Life360.

ST had similar issues but with a custom Life360 Presence device, I added "Refresh" command and with IFTTT+Life360 you can have a backup method to ensure that Life360 in Hubitat/ST is always in sync.

What I did was setup a simple virtual switch that was turned ON/OFF based on IFTTT Life360 rule. For example, using Life360 IFTTT channel, if someone arrives HOME then IFTTT turns ON virtual switch and if everyone leaves then IFTTT turns OFF virtual switch.

Then a simple rule would "Refresh" Life360 Presence device every time the IFTTT Life360 virtual switch changes state (ON/OFF).

This setup fixed all my Life360 issues and worked 100% for me in ST and it should work just as well in Hubitat.

Thanks!

1 Like

having similar issues and had the same trouble with SmartThings.
Life360 was working pretty good 1-2 months ago but now is really hit or miss.
came home today with my wife her's is on an IphoneX aand mine is on a Note5.
Her's triggered fine in Hubitat but mine still says not present.
Without taking my phone out of sleep I went on the Life360 home page on my computer and it shows both our phones at home.
So my phone is still sending location to Life360 but not to Hubitat regularly.
Then went into Hubitat life360 connector app and selected done and then it saw my phone as home.
Appears somethings is freezing within the app.

Life 360 seems to put it's endpoint, in this case our hubs into a penalty box for no reason that we can find. Hitting save causes the app to make a request to life360 which then takes us out of the box, and we're back at it again.
The first thought I had to resolve this was a simple scheduled job in the app that does just that at some regular interval, let's just say 24 hours for now...
However, given that most users trigger something on arival, when would you run this job run?, as it has potential to fire an event that the user isn't expecting.
So i kind of ruled that option out.
Interested in thoughts. It might also be feasible to implement refresh in the presence driver, but this will refresh the entire circle, not just the sensor where refresh was executed, that option seemed less intuitive as you are accustomed to refresh only applying to the specific device where it was executed.

@mike.maxwell I don't see where refreshing the entire circle daily would be a real issue. If one of the members of the circle are reporting wrong wouldn't this just correct it the same way opening the app and selecting done does? If we have a rule triggered by arrival/departure it would just run the rule that should have run anyway? I may be using presence differently than others so this is just my humble opinion. I vote for a 24 hour scheduled job at a selectable time.

However a refresh option in the driver would allow a RM rule with a custom command to be run at our preferred interval or perhaps on demand via a virtual button in a dashboard?

The access token (Bearer) that is retrieved on the first connect method needs to be refreshed periodically. It's not published how often but when updates stop then it's time. Setting a 12 hour refresh I think would be more than enough. Or you could refresh on every update cycle which is what I'm doing and I haven't had any issues (so far).

2 Likes

How are you doing this? Custom code?

as temporary fix maybe using Tasker to launch Life360 if you have android.
I will give it a shot maybe have it go off at 4 am everyday and then shut down at 4:01
note if using Tasker when you choose the Life360 app press and hold the app icon and 3 Life360 selections will appear I believe it is the middle one.
Easiest way to load the code into Tasker is just download the example from here and import it into Tasker then change the time and the app this example is using. I could not get it to kill the app a minute later though.

never mind that didn't work
still had to open up Life360 when I got home to get it to see me as home.

OK, I've given this a bit of thought.
How about this...

I have Life360 create a special child button device, name it Life360 Refresh
This device would have one pushable button, and a refresh capability.
This would allow it to be pushed in the dashboard, or poked from RM via refresh, or refreshed from the driver details.

Does the above tick all the boxes?

The life360 app is not the issue. The issue is the life360 connector apps in Hubitat. ST Life360 smartapps has the same issue. You need to open the Hubitat Life360 connector app and refresh it. Refreshing the presence device doesn't update the status.
@mike.maxwell, the child device you are referring to. What exactly does it refresh? The connector app?

yes, it would do the same think opening the app does, which seems to be a token refresh.

3 Likes

If this is truly a requirement of Life360, why not just build in a periodic refresh to the app every 6 or 12 hours, rather than having it be an extra step required by the end user? Is there any downside?

sure, when the SO's device is out of sync, and your TTS fires at 3AM announcing their arrival...
Or whatever else you have wired to these sensors that could fire unexpectedly.

I don't think it is a true requirement for Life360 to work correctly. In about 3 months of use, I have only had to 'refresh Life360' once or twice. I haven't had to do it for at least 6 weeks now.

@mike.maxwell - After the hub is rebooted (either intentionally, after a firmware update, or after a power blip), does this Life 360 token refresh occur automatically?

it seems to for me

1 Like