Leviton DZ6HD Z-Wave Dimmer

Hi All ,

I am a new HE owner, switching over from SmarThings.

I have everything cut over, but seem to be having an issue with one of my dimmers. I have 3 Leviton DZ6HD Z-Wave Dimmer switches, One seems to work correctly, another one seems not to update its status to often (HE Dashboard shows it on, when its not) and more problematic one that does not have a current state field at all (HE Dashboard shows it as unknown).

I have yet to try it, but right now I am thinking of doing an exclude/include of the misbehaving switches. But wanted to see if there were other recommendations to try first.

I did read some older posts about the same device, but they seemed inconclusive, although there was one recommendation about installing some Z-Wave polling app (which I haven't tried yet, and have some concerns about)

I also don't know if how doing and exclude/include again after everything else is installed will effect the Z-Wave mesh.

I appreciate any help or advice you all may have.
Thanks and Take Care!
-Pat

I have a few of these, first ones were purchased back in 2018. The firmware in them was out-of-date, and I experienced the issues you mention regarding status update unreliability, state out of sync with the HE hub, etc. An upgrade to Leviton V1.20 firmware solved all of my spurious update problems. I found this thread from 2018 that might be helpful.

If I recall, the firmware is printed on a label on the switch flange. Also you can check the "Device Details" section of the dimmer's device configuration page in the Hubitat web app. Here's a screenshot showing one of my dimmers that has been flashed with the working firmware:

If you see a version prior to 1.2 then I'd suspect the remedy would be to flash the newer firmware. I'm not sure about the best way to get the firmware file these days, maybe someone else can chime in on that.

I have 1.2 on mine. They work but do not update in Hubitat when turned on or off physically. Only digital changes are shown, both on the dashboard and device page. I've read many threads on these but there doesn't seem to be a 100% fix.

Thank you for the information. I have had the dimmers from 2016, and for the most part worked well under Smarthings but there was a time when they did act a little flaky but that seemed to resolve its self with a ST hub update.

From HE none of the switches don't seem to be providing a firmwareVersion or the other version information fields that you have in your screen shot. So I don't know what that means.

The device type I am using is the built-in "Leviton DZ6HD Z-Wave Dimmer". My C-7 hub is on version 2.2.8.141. At one point I was using a community driver, "Leviton Decora Z-Wave Plus Dimmer" by Jason Xia (jasonxh), so maybe those data items are leftover from that device driver.

Like @jimyouse, I did search the forums as there are many postings about these dimmers/switches that describe issues of flakiness. In my case, once I flashed to V1.2, problems disappeared.

Although in hindsight I wouldn't buy these devices again.

1 Like

Thank you for your follow up @Guffman, Im at the latest version on my hub too. Is it worth trying that community driver? I think I came across it but it seemed unmaintained.

The switches were alright under ST (except the aforementioned time). and one of the switches I have is behaving as I would have expected, so maybe ill carve out a little bit of time to do the exclude dance on the misbehaving ones. if that does not do the trick, ill check to see what I can do about the firmware.

I will report back my findings incase another user ends up in the same place.

Thanks for all of your help!

Interesting, I just tried switching the driver to Jason Xia (jasonxh)'s which i copied and pasted from: Can't get Leviton Dimmer Module to Dim - #18 by Ryan780

It seemed to populate the 'Current States' with a level and on status. but once 'on' the state did not change from a physical toggle, however it did get updated with a 'hail' state. and while toggling the switch in HE did turn on/off the light, its state never updated. Also note no additional version fields were seen in the 'data' section.

For fun I switched back to the built-in driver, but other then the state fields being popluated, no action had any effect on them.

@dunkin, only thing that made the dimmers stable in my case was upgrading the firmware to Version 1.2. You can check using the 'Basic Z-Wave tool" driver written by @mike.maxwell, I believe it's in the Hubitat public github Drivers directory. There is a command provided by that device driver called 'Get Version Report'.

After adding the driver to the hub, you can then change the dimmer's device type to 'Basic Z-Wave tool', execute the command, check the logs, see what firmware is in the dimmer, then change back to the bulit-in Leviton driver.

If you execute that command, the result will be logged (viewable in the Logs web page):

The result of issuing that command to one of my Leviton dimmers (deviceId 2200) is shown above.

2 Likes

Oh cool that information will be handy.

So in my messing around i may have actually gotten things working, I will keep a close eye on it for a little bit but in my searching I found another variant of the driver here hopping it would provide me some version information :

After hitting the 'poll' option with that driver, it provided me with several fields, including a firmware field, however that was set to "null.null". However after clicking refresh the Current state did update, but only when I hit refresh, which was an improvement over my prior experience. At this time I also tried pulling the air gap on the switch, but no change in behavior was observed. So I switched back to the built in driver, and it started working as I expected where the Current State reflected the physical state of the switch, and updated on physical and digital button presses.

I have no idea what changed or why it would have any effect however I did notice a "MSR: " field in the HE data section, that was not present before. That field has no value associated with it.

1 Like

I already had the Basic Z-Wave tool and confirmed I am on 1.2. I also already had the Leviton Decora Z-Wave Plus Dimmer driver installed. I tried replicating the steps you did but the status still doesn't update with a physical push of the switch. I'll keep trying...

So a bit of an interesting thing I stupidly just realized, my dimmers are configured with the add-on dimmers (DD00R-DLZ) I think wired as a three-way.

With the mains being the DZ6HDs, when the main switch is toggled the HE is updated (which originally was not working). As we were going through our evening routines, and I was trying to keep an eye on the state I noticed that the state was not getting set sometimes. When I sat to think about it I then realized that now it was only when the add-on switch is toggled HE was not getting updated.

Its been a while since I had set them up with ST, so I wonder if im just now missing some step to connect them all together. Something to dig at in the morning.

A little more mucking around while everyone was out of the house this morning. It seems only the off functionality on the add-on switches is not updating HE, on and dimming from the add-on do trigger updates to the status.

FWIW: The switches do use the traveler to communicate state to the main switches, so I dont think there is any additional pairing / setup that was lost when I switched from ST.

So you're saying that the Leviton remote is getting the Leviton DZ6HD to turn the lights On/Off but the Hub isn't showing the Update for the Off status?

Those Leviton's still have the HAIL message after the local (or remote) button presses. IF the HUB doesn't see or respond to the HAIL message by grabbing the state info from the Leviton, then it's a driver issue. IF the Leviton is not sending the HAIL message, that's a Leviton Issue.

Anyone have a Zniffer?

Yes that's correct, right now the on/off/dim at the main (DZ6HD) updates just fine. on/dim at the remote (DD00R-DLZ) seems to update as well. Its only off at the remote that does not appear to be updating.

The logs show physical presses for on and dim by the remote, but nothing when off is pressed at the remote. Logs do show on/off/dim at the main.

I don't have any z-wave sniffing capabilities.

That's ok. I will do a check to day. Do you know what FW version is on the Dimmer?
That remote is a standard remote Leviton uses with all of their products (wifi, ZWave, Zigbee ...)

Has to be the HUB or the dimmer. (Sounds like the dimmer FW but let me have a quick check).

Firmware is of the older version. After running through the steps noted by @Guffman using the BasicZwaveTool I uncovered the firmware versions for each of my switches as:

Version Report - FirmwareVersion: 1.13, ProtocolVersion: 4.33, HardwareVersion: 255

However I did not have this issue under ST, and am a little weary of upgrading given what @jimyouse mentioned.

It works for me as well.

I don't write the drivers but I know when you press a local button or the remote button the Leviton DZ6HD sends out a HAIL message. Basically, the Leviton is not the issue.

I believe it is a Hubitat Driver Issue.

Im a little new to the process here, so what is the next step(s) I should take?

You really must update firmware to get reliable status updates. There are no downsides. The only thing that doesn't work well with the built in driver is tracking Physical vs. Digital control.

Is this the correct method for firmware updating the switches, it seems to have the firmware files, (found via reddit).