Let's talk 3D printers!

I think you'll find Prusa friendlier overall, but a subjective thing, of course. If you do try Prusa, as I think we've discussed, just select the Ender 5 profile. One thing about Sovol that annoys me is they aren't active in creating profiles for all of their printers.

2 Likes

I am a bit of a chicken when it comes to violent movies...a lot of hands over my eyes. A friend who I've watched movies with told me that I'd have to cover my eyes for about 2/3 of a John Wick movie. :face_with_spiral_eyes: I do really want to see the series, but I think I need the "edited for TV" version. :wink:

1 Like

In the spirit of my low cost printing adventure I've been playing with Octoprint using Octo4a on a couple old phones, and it's pretty amazing. :grin:
All the added features and work flow helpers plus a built in camera. :open_mouth:
But, for some reason I can't get Octolapse to install, the Install plugin extras completes and every other plugin installs fine. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Agree - Octoprint/Octo4a is pretty cool, and a good way to make use of an old phone languishing in a drawer. If I hadn't had a spare small Ring cam to put on my printer that was the way I probably would have gone when I was using octopi.

If you don’t spool your own, do you really even print - man :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4 Likes

Here’s a great new video on flow rate testing;

2 Likes

Had some buddies in college that designed a filament machine for their Senior project. They built it to reuse the scrap pieces from other prints like support material, rafts, or just scrapped prints. Built a large grinder to grind the plastic into small chunks, and a heated extruder to make the filament. I ended up giving them a small bucket of scrap plastic to do their testing with!

2 Likes

I've been using OctoPi (OP on a Raspberry Pi, for those not familiar) almost from the moment I got my printer (Anycubic Mega Pro).

Bringing it full-circle to Hubitat, OctoPi is linked to Hubitat, so when a print is done, it tells Hubitat to tell Alexa to tell me my print is finished. Hubitat also turns off the light I have on for the benefit of the webcam that monitors the print. (When Alexa makes the announcement, she even uses a certain four-letter word her programming doesn't allow her to say.)

Great!!

Question about PrusaSlicer and the SV05...

Since there is no SV05 profile (using Ender 5 profile instead) what parameters should we change to get the speed advantage that the SV05 is suppose to have?

I also found this.... (who could it be?! :wink:)

3 Likes

Good job. And good post. A mention of HE every now & then might keep Bruce or Bobby from nuking the thread as it grows to 1300+ posts and may one day exceed even that damn 'HE antenna' thread. heh

3 Likes

Super needy guy, wanders from forum to forum complaining about stuff. Ignore him. :wink:

2 Likes

Out of pocket today, but can get back to you tomorrow on this.

I'd suggest running the flow rate testing that Derek linked to above today - that's an important part of settings related to speeding up printing, and it's a very easy test to do.

1 Like

It is nice indeed to have those types of connections.

Several of us here are using Klipper w/our printers and have it connected to Hubitat via a community Klipper integration that works really well, and then can setup print status notifications and other actions w/lighting, etc. Super easy to set up and works very well.

1 Like

oh yea- he even consolidated all the requests in to one Problem: Lack of Sovol printer profiles in both Cura & PrusaSlicer - Sovol SV05 Cubic DD - Sovol3d forum - I commented :wink:

3 Likes

Well dammit, it is a problem. :wink: For me, anyway, and that makes it important, right? :smiley:

This is a bit of a pet peeve w/me...really like my printer, but Sovol's lack of printer profiles in one of the (if not the) most popular slicers is a gap they need to close. A little like selling a printer and then telling the customer to try using some other company's driver...

But let's not look at the man behind the curtain. Certainly not in the morning when he has bed hair. :scream:

1 Like

its the ender dragon on the build plate isnt it :rofl: i tried replacing w/a PEI texture i found but it made it slow to refresh

1 Like

MY little LG Q6 seems to be handling the server duties fine (tried an older Acer Zest Plus that works, but poorly) and HE hooked up using the Octoprint driver on HPM.

The Wi-Fi connection is the best Octoprint feature (hate SD card swapping) and the HeaterTimeout is great for someone as forgetful busy as me. :wink:

1 Like

Skull planter. Haven't put the cactus in it yet, as I'm still waiting for the waterproofing to dry. I waterproof the inside with flexseal spray.

Printed with translucent PLA, 0.12 layer, gyroid infill.

Edit, with cactus. They look better after a few months after the cactus grows a little bit.

8 Likes

Good idea. Duly noted. Thanks.

1 Like