Let's talk 3D printers!

It's a common layout for the more exposed printer designs.

The online images make it look like the SV05 may have a Meanwell power supply (or a knock-off)

The SV06 has a lower quality chinese brand which have high resistance readings.
They do the job, but could fail.

1 Like

I use the pi camera 2 on both of my OctoPrint setups.

Work well for my purposes.

Thanks...how's the focus and FOV? Worked well for you? Can you share a pic of how it looks in your Octoprint screen?

Current view from within Octoprint

1 Like

Another Interceptor. :sunglasses: Still need to print the stand.

2 Likes

Nice!

Dang those models are pretty...nice assembly too. Pretty impressive, managing color changes already!

Brings up memories...I saw the original Star Wars in San Diego on its opening day. My brothers and i decided to go last minute even though we'd seen news stories predicting giant lines. Sure enough, we get there and the line is around the theater (and of course this was back when there were huge theaters).

We did not want to go to the end of the line. what to do!? Then we noticed a spot near the front of the line where several sailors were in line with a gap between them and another group of people in front of them. We walked over and casyakkt took the spot trying to look like we belonged. Somehow no one said a word. We were shocked it was successful.

Shortly thereafter my mind was blown by the most amazing movie. Such a great day.

1 Like

You actually print the different coloured parts separately.

2 Likes

Yes but you have to change spools in between the two prints. :slightly_smiling_face: Just trying to give credit for any spool change. :wink:

Ah, yeah it can be a hassle.

1 Like

Very nice - which slicer are you using? Cura can't give me as nice a print on the panels.

In that case go watch John Wick 4 next week! :laughing:

2 Likes

I highly recommend Prusa Slicer, it’s a million times better than Cura. I personally use an advanced fork of it called Super Slicer, but that is overkill for most folk.

Edit: FWIW, I started out on Cura and after about 6 months I switched to PS. Cura is just so damn illogical.

3 Likes

Thanks all. I see why so many have multiple printers now. These things take forever! lol. Maybe a 6 plus in my future, once it's fully released and they get the bugs out of it!

Still using Cura. I've downloaded Prusa but haven't put in the time to look at it yet.

2 Likes

Planning on printing some of these cool desiccant containers soon… what is the trick when printing multiples? I ask because I made an attempt ( with not much effort or thought) to print two brackets at once - just copied, pasted and then slice… when it started printing it looked like it was going to print all of one and then the other and given how close they were I knew it would fail, so just scrapped the job and did them one at a time.

With SuperSlicer, there is an option checkbox for completing individual items. If that is unchecked, it will switch back and forth from one to another and build them both up. If it is enabled/checked, then it will complain if it detects that completing individual objects would result in a collision.

Sometimes, how objects are arranged on the build plate will allow for completion of individual objects. Automatic placement doesn't always get it right. Manual moving of the objects can sometimes work as will rotation of objects.

4 Likes

I think you'll find Prusa friendlier overall, but a subjective thing, of course. If you do try Prusa, as I think we've discussed, just select the Ender 5 profile. One thing about Sovol that annoys me is they aren't active in creating profiles for all of their printers.

2 Likes

I am a bit of a chicken when it comes to violent movies...a lot of hands over my eyes. A friend who I've watched movies with told me that I'd have to cover my eyes for about 2/3 of a John Wick movie. :face_with_spiral_eyes: I do really want to see the series, but I think I need the "edited for TV" version. :wink:

1 Like

In the spirit of my low cost printing adventure I've been playing with Octoprint using Octo4a on a couple old phones, and it's pretty amazing. :grin:
All the added features and work flow helpers plus a built in camera. :open_mouth:
But, for some reason I can't get Octolapse to install, the Install plugin extras completes and every other plugin installs fine. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Agree - Octoprint/Octo4a is pretty cool, and a good way to make use of an old phone languishing in a drawer. If I hadn't had a spare small Ring cam to put on my printer that was the way I probably would have gone when I was using octopi.