Kiwkset Lock - Zwave to Zigbee Conversion

I added an Aeotec outlet nearby my least reliable 910. It’s early but the results are very positive.

Continued excellent results with the Aeotec outlet nearby beaming away.
Both locks have one near, and both are working perfectly lately.

2 Likes

everything still smooth with the zigbee lock? I haven't even installed my kwikset 914, but may go ahead and swap it to zigbee. I've already decided the other two locks I buy (one day) will be zigbee just because of everything I've read

I have 1 914 and 2 916 I converted over to zigbee. Working great - status is always right, always locks/unlocks when it is supposed to.

Too early to tell about battery life differences.

Guess I'm going to try it. Finally installed my kwikset 914 today. Worked great for like 10 minutes. Now it's not responding to z-wave commands

Just an FYI to those that would still like to try swapping out modules...

I purchased this Kwikset Convert Smart Lock Conversion Kit on Amazon for $21.60. Took the Zigbee module out of it and swapped it into my 912 (formally zwave) lock. Works perfectly!

To recap, I have never in 6 years had a reliable connection to my bulkhead door lock. It worked perfectly near the hub (both Hubitat and before that, ST) but never worked on the door. With the zigbee module installed into the lock, it now works like a charm and cheaper than buying just the module on eBay!

There are plenty of these to be found on Amazon, just pick the cheapest used one available since it's only the zigbee module that's needed. Worst case, it doesn't fit/work with your lock and you just have to return it.

2 Likes

Thanks for the heads up. I just grabbed one.

1 Like

I completely agree. Best thing I ever did on the Kwikset locks was convert them to zigbee. They have worked perfectly 24/7 ever since.

Think I'm going to do it to my back door lock too, turn an old lock into a new one :grin: Just have to wait to find another around $20.

Thank you for bringing up that it could even be done!

I'm confused. That link is to $149 device. I can't find anything on Amazon near that price point.

'Buy Used' - $26.50 in this example...

1 Like

Used is the way to go for this - whether off Amazon or eBay.

Just a reminder, do not buy the red colored zigbee module - it is for Control4 only and will not work on Hubitat. If it doesn't say either way it is probably the non-Control4 version.

Well I'll be damned. Thanks

1 Like

I just ordered two of these. Thanks for the heads up. My z wave kwiksets have been a nightmare.

1 Like

Well thanks alot! All of you guys have absconded with the last used one LOL. I've got it bookmarked to try again.

1 Like

There’s a used one now for $80! :joy:

Yeah buddy. I would have to shop for garage sensors cause that is where I would be sleeping after spending almost $400 on Friday for home automation stuff :slight_smile:

Hopefully they will go a little lower.

The reliability disparity with these two modules is incredible. The converted zigbee lock is now super reliable!

I agree. I was skeptical.... But it was REALLY worth doing. And since I found enough modules used, it was dramatically cheaper than buying new locks.

The only thing a little puzzling is that I don't see any battery % updates from any of my three locks for the last 3 months. I'll have to keep my eye on that!

I have battery state on mine, can't say if it'll update yet. Perhaps the ZigBee is THAT much more efficient. :wink: