Kiwkset Lock - Zwave to Zigbee Conversion

There’s a used one now for $80! :joy:

Yeah buddy. I would have to shop for garage sensors cause that is where I would be sleeping after spending almost $400 on Friday for home automation stuff :slight_smile:

Hopefully they will go a little lower.

The reliability disparity with these two modules is incredible. The converted zigbee lock is now super reliable!

I agree. I was skeptical.... But it was REALLY worth doing. And since I found enough modules used, it was dramatically cheaper than buying new locks.

The only thing a little puzzling is that I don't see any battery % updates from any of my three locks for the last 3 months. I'll have to keep my eye on that!

I have battery state on mine, can't say if it'll update yet. Perhaps the ZigBee is THAT much more efficient. :wink:

Maybe. lol.

I hit configure again on one of them, I'll see if updates start up again / does anything different than the other two.

EDIT: Now that I look, the one I hit configure on came back with a 100% battery. So maybe it is reporting, and is just 100% each time (and thus not being logged, as it is not a change). Whether that is an accurate % or not, is questionable. I'll watch it.

If anyone is still looking, they are on sale for $51.98 right now on Amazon new. Used are about $45. Mine have been flawless since i switched them out.

New is now down to $43.37. I just switched one of my zwave+ kwiksets to Zigbee using the module from a kwikset convert. Works perfectly now. Highly recommended conversion.

2 Likes

Can I use the zigbee module from this lock to convert my Kwikset 916 Z-Wave lock? This one has the touch screen on one side. Also, how do you remove the radio module from the inside lock portion? Thanks

Should work. Everything 910 and newer use the same modules.

I bought a random zigbee module from eBay and it worked in my 916. For eBay ones, you just have to be careful to not get a control4 module - sometimes they are listed as zigbee modules and they are definitely NOT compatible with Hubitat.

Yup it Will work in the 916. The radio board is right next to the battery pack. Pull out the battery and then the z-wave board slides out easy. The signed one goes in in its place.

@jwetzel1492 Thanks. I’ll keep these in mind. Just paired my door locks. So far so good, but it’s only been a day!

Hi, just wanted to say thanks for the heads up about the price! I have been keeping an eye on locks for while now and after reading the forums had decided this was the lock for me (Zigbee) and at $45 couldn't really pass it up.

Installed and paired without any issue, now I just have to play with it until I can break it.

3 Likes

So I just converted my Zwave lock over to Zigbee and now I am receiving multiple notifications when the lock is manually locked or locked via the app whereas before on Zwave I would only receive a single notification. Anybody have any thoughts or ideas about why this might be happening? Thanks.

Any chance the Zig conversion module will work in 888?

Did the same thing. Just got my Converts in today, took out the module and replaced my zwave modules with the zigbee. Worked Flawlessly. Now hopefully I will have a more reliable connection with my locks.

Now to figure out what to do with my 4 old zwave chips and the 4 brass convert locks.

1 Like

@JasonJoelOld, do you still have your Control4 card? I can trade you a general Zigbee card for it if you still have it. I'm interested in Control4 cards. If anyone else has a Control4 version that they need to get rid of. Let me know. Thanks

I think I do, for some reason! Usually I trash things quickly, but I might have kept this one.

Let me me look when I'm back at the house (Tuesday). If I have it, I'd be happy to send it to you. It would only be one place, if I have it, so it is easy to check.

2 Likes

@JasonJoel, any luck on finding that card :slight_smile:

Oh! I forgot. Sorry. I'll set a reminder to look tonight.