Keep Nest Protect emergency lights functional after August 31

I have never had an actual event with mine. I don't smoke anymore either so I can't test what would happen if smoke was present for a period of time like I used too in the past. I'd like to be able to actually test the automation portion of homekit to ensure it actually triggers an event like I'm telling it to do. I was trying to test that theory with motion sensing, but I'm concerned because motion turns on, but then never turns off, it's like once motion senses on, it's always on after that even when there is no motion.

Nevermind, apparently the motion not turning off right away is normal behavior with these things. Found this on the close issues of the nest-homekit github:

"It is quite timely. When the motion sensor detects movement, it triggers within a few seconds. (It takes a little while - a couple of minutes - to turn off after detection.)"

Ah man, I would but I only have the battery versions. No motion sensor shows up on mine.

LOL, I use a Sylvania at the top of my stairs. practically the same sensor :grinning:

There must be something about that app, because I recall having it with the Hubitat Nest Integration that was short lived thanks to Google. Or am I mistaken? :thinking:

I used incense when I first got one. It worked, but I imagine the oil from it isn't a great thing to expose the sensor to. Once is probably fine though. Definitely wear hearing protection and do it when the family isn't around.

never thought to use incense... good call! Have to pick a stick up at the store next time I go. But I did get motion working to turn a light on, the only issue is the huge delay in the protect changing motion to not detected. So for my application, on a staircase, if I trigger the light, and it turns off a minute later, but the protect doesn't stop motion for over 5 minutes, and I come back to the stairs after the light is out before the 5 minutes is up, then it never re-triggers the light to turn back on. I'll stick with my regular iris sensors for motion. Too bad, would have been useful with not having to change a battery out. I'll have 3 motion sensors dedicated to just my staircase alone.

[Update]

Google has changed the original authenication method. Only the Google Account Cookie Method will work. Use the incognito method described here.

NOTE: I cannot confirm if this is going to work with the homebridge-nest plug-in. After many failed attempts, I ended up having success with a HACS integration for Home Assistant that is based on the homebridge-nest plugin (specifically version 0.3.12 of the Nest Protect integration for Home Assistant is what is working for me).

If you are running Home Assistant with Home Assistant Device Bridge, I highly recommend this integration as it's easier to work with since no virtual devices and HomeKit automations are required, plus it exposes control over the Nest Protect settings that the homebridge-nest plugin does not.

2 Likes