Keep Nest Protect emergency lights functional after August 31

Homebridge just opened me up to a whole new home world... LOL like I don't have enough to do :slight_smile:

Thanks to the developers adrian.cable and chrisjshull. They pulled me out of a bind until nest get it together, or maybe they never will :no_mouth:

1 Like

Turning Nest off of Hubitat just about made me cry lol

1 Like

I'm also running an Aqara HomeKit hub and it's reliable. Xiaomi devices pair very well, stay put and react very quickly and so far reliably. I've only have contact sensors and a few buttons on it. Other than that, it is a doorbell, supplemental alarm, a light for alarm states (turn red, along with other capable lights in any alarm situation), and a night light. It's cute. A fancy accessory, but inexpensive. I'm just not sure how to extend its Zigbee network other than with Xiaomi light switches, or maybe lightbulbs. I don't know what they use to extend their Zigbee networks on their hubs. I seem to vaguely recall someone writing that they could pair a Trådfri outlet with it. I suppose google is in order. :slightly_smiling_face:

I am not missing it. It was depreciated anyway. If it breaks, they can't fix it.

1 Like

I can say I have no Xiaomi devices... I've been using Iris contact and motion sensors plus Aeotec multisensors for humidity and secondary motion sensor after Iris detects the initial movement. I'm going room by room as I renovate my house. I'm just trying to figure out what to automate... I don't use the dashboards at all in Hubitat... most of what I do is about automating through rules. I only use the dashboard to check battery levels on devices from time to time.

Centralite are quality product. Automate everything you want. When I think I might like that thing automated, that's my call to action. If renovating, well...

• Lighting obviously, but with fade control is sweet. I don't personally have that, but it's something I would change. Most of the LED are just too prone to sudden drop off. It's going to get better for my children, but it seems they just can't get it as smooth as halogen was.

• Shades. Depends on budget, but IKEA are close to release in North America.

• Sensors! Put them in and use them when you think of what to do. There are always going to be uses.

• Ethernet everywhere!

• And outlets!!! Many.

Every room I am doing gets Lutron Caseta so no real fade control. They have their own fade down to off but you can't adjust that. I also can't change the color temps or bulb colors. I've though about getting a few hue color changing bulbs just to play around but aside from sexy time with the wife I can't justify their cost... LOL. My house is roughly 1300sq ft not including the same size basement. I don't have any issues with zwave and zigbee signals from one end of the house to the other although I did place a few repeaters around just to shore up my mesh...

I wanted to use the Lutron Caseta Shade motors with my Bali blinds I've been adding on each room but just couldn't justify the additional $500+ cost per shade for them... so I passed. I just bought more Centralite sensors off fleabay for both contact and motion... I love them and yes, they work well. I tried others and just wasn't happy with them.

Luckily my basement has drop ceiling and I've been running cat5/6 cables everywhere and a few to the attic for the Aeotec sensors to connect them via POE. I probably spend about a week standing in a room visualizing everything before I start the renovation just to cover all my base with everything I want to do. So far I've only screwed up and missed two things... I missed placing an outlet in a half bath and something else I can't think of right now... but they're really minor in nature... the Kitchen is going to make my head spin though with under counter lighting and placement of cans in the ceiling for lighting... my house was built in 1973 so it never had recessed lighting... I've been adding it myself.

Updated my earlier post regarding 2FA. It’s much better, and I’m happy to keep using this instead of an official Nest integration for as long as it works.

@SmartHomePrimer curious if you've tried re-starting your homebridge-nest lately? I did tonight and noticed that Nest is rejecting my username and password in the config.json file. I also visited the homebridge-nest website and I see they're now supporting the new google accounts. I may end up having to switch over. I'll have to look at this tomorrow but as of now, my nest protects in hubitat are broken.

It’s definitely still working. I changed the way I enter the 2FA because I had too. They stopped re-issuing the same 2FA number for a minute or two, so I have to leave it blank in the config.json file now and enter it to finish the Homebridge startup. Since doing that it has worked.

I’m not going to touch it until absolutely necessary, but it was working, and for now my detectors are available in HomeKit.

Crap. Just had to restart Homebridge and I'm getting the same error message.

The issue is Nest accounts now use a Google Recaptcha service and this causes a failure with 2FA. You can change to access token authentication and it will work for a month at a time.

I took a look at my Nest account (I only had the Nest Protects connected via Works with Nest), and I realized that as long as the connection stays active, using the Homebridge-Nest plug-in to trigger my lights is the only thing I needed from the old Nest account. This plug-in has been functioning well, as long as it stays connected, plus it keeps half the connection local. So I decided to update to a Google Nest account, since switching to an access token authentication would result in my having to fix the connection and reconfigure the HomeKit automations every month.

So far it's working fine, but it took me a bit to get the config.json file right. Think I just wasn't following the instructions properly the first time. Here's an example of what it should look like.

NOTE: The issueToken and cookies are really long. It wasn't clear to me at first that the cookies, for example, was longer just the first bit following OCAK=

{
  "bridge": {
    "name": "Homebridge",
    "username": "1G:7N:4J:3S:9Q:8D",
    "port": 45525,
    "pin": "978-25-396"
  },
  "description": "Hubitat Integration",
  "accessories": [],
  "platforms": [
    {
          "platform": "Hubitat-MakerAPI",
          "name": "Hubitat",
          "app_url": "http://192.168.0.113/apps/api/0923",
          "access_token": "w5gt44sd-op99-6s09-7220-0234765n3820",
          "polling_seconds": 300,
          "temperature_unit": "C",
          "mode_switches": false,
          "hsm": false
        },
    {
      "platform": "Nest",
      "googleAuth": {
            "issueToken": "https://accounts.google.com/o/oauth2/iframerpc?action=issueToken...",
            "cookies": "OCAK=TOMPYI3cCPAt...",
            "apiKey": "AIzaS..."
          }
        }
  ]
}

This is good to know! I haven’t had time to sit down and fix this yet in my own setup but will have to do so soon. I’m going to assume that by moving to a google account we shouldn’t have any issues with adding additional protects into the system now.... hopefully.

1 Like

I would assume no, but Google being Google...:thinking:

I got mine working tonight again with a google home account. Pretty simple actually. Now to pick up another protect for my laundry room to see if I can add another one in.

1 Like

I added a new Nest Protect tonight. Went well and got it added to hubitat with the same instructions as adding the original ones. No issues!

I do have a question for you @SmartHomePrimer, how are you handling how smoke and co2 are detected / cleared as far as automations go in Home? I see an option to turn on a switch (in this case the switch that also controls the virtual switch in Hubitat to then run a rule in Hubitat, however, that automation has an auto turn off after a certain amount of time or never? How can the switch be flipped back say in the event that the smoke clears (bacon got burnt) to turn off lights and lock doors, etc... I don't see a way to setup an automation for smoke or co2 cleared?

1 Like

Yeah, I don't think cleared is an available option. Might be useful. You could reach out to the devs on that one. Adrian Cable did respond within a day when I created an Issue report - Issues · chrisjshull/homebridge-nest · GitHub

I just have mine setup so that I have to manually clear my resulting automation. I figure that since the Nest Protect has the two stages (warning and then detected), we shouldn't have the occurrence very often, or at all where we have to reset HSM. I don't really know what the mode switch option does in the config.json, but I think it's for the thermostats (which I don't own).

Have you ever had a false alarm from burned bacon or anything? That's what I like so much about them. We burned something once and got a warning, but it never proceeded to alarm because we cleared the smoke fast enough to satisfy it I guess.

Can you test something for me? When you take a look in homekit at the actual Protect that should show 3 sensors (if you have the 120v model), you should see a sensor for motion... when you walk by it, motion detection should show active, but how long after you walk by it does it go back to deactive if at all? Mine seems to take forever or not until I reboot my hubitat hub for some reason.

I'm trying to use motion activation of my nest protect at the top of my stairs to activate a light instead of using an iris motion sensor.