Jasco may be making firmware available for their products

This is great. Maybe next they can build stuff that lasts long enough to need firmware updates.

10 Likes

Hopefully a firmware update for their god awful Enbrighten Zigbee Dimmers.

2 Likes

I have the same issue Linus has. When you turn off the switch manually, the motion sensor reports no motion, so when you move your hand away, the light turns right back on because motion goes active. Very annoying. Hopefully we can get those firmware updates on Hubitat

2 Likes

Every switch and dimmer (Z-Wave) I own is made by Jasco\GE, so you'd think I'd be excited about this. But they've all always worked perfectly without any firmware related issue. Never had a need for a firmware update.

Obviously that may not be true for every device they make, but I've been an extremely happy customer without firmware updates. Been very much no muss, no fuss, for me. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Found the relevant videos.

4 Likes

Forgot to ask, are you guys using @JasonJoel's drivers for these motion sensing switches/dimmers? Wondering if they help w/the issues you're having w/these combo-devices.

1 Like

I have this switch in my bathrooms and don't have that problem. Try using a motion zone and stick the switch in the zone. Then use the zone for your rules.

I'm using the stock driver.

4 Likes

While some of Linus's content is still the eye-rolling nonsense that got him a reputation as a bit of an edgelord, he really has stepped things up lately. I've found myself watching his channel more and more in the past couple of months. I hope he keeps it up.

5 Likes

I like watching some of his more ridiculous builds as they are closer to what we use at work.

1 Like

I just put it inside a zone like you said and that fixed it! Thanks!

3 Likes

Np, glad to help.

1 Like

I'm glad he brought this up. It's not just Jasco either - many manufacturers have their firmware under lock and key. For instance, I just requested a bunch of firmware from Zooz yesterday and it felt like I was doing a back alley drug deal.

On one hand, this technology has never really needed a lot of firmware updates until 3-4 years ago. The devices were simple and there wasn't really much to change. But as things have become more interesting, and people are finding more interesting things to do with these devices, firmware updates are more important.

Additionally, with all the different hubs, there hasn't been an easy way to update them, especially with everything always changing so rapidly. The device manufacturers can't develop their own firmware updater - they have to rely on hub software, or a third party developer. I'm not sure of a way around that.

3 Likes

Yeah... @agnes.zooz

I love that zooz will provide the firmware files to end consumers.

But I definitely find it frustrating that the current versions aren't posted anywhere, the version numbers aren't posted anywhere consistently, you have to keep bugging support to get copies of them.

So leaps and bounds better than jasco, but still a pretty frustrating experience.

10 Likes

On one hand I can see how keeping firmware changes less fluid has forced the blossoming smart ecosystem to revolve around the device's capabilities, rather than the hub's.

Thank you danabw. I don't want to go against the grain here for anyone, and knowing full well everyone's experience can be different... GE/Jasco are the main bulk of my dimmer/switches making up over 90% of my motion detection. Once set, these have been most reliable. Some are set to operate the connected light independently, some control the connected light, or other light, or even other things entirely through Hubitat integrations. These have been great for me (and my simple mind) and doubt I would update the firmware if offered.

1 Like

Yeah it's a use case thing with Linus. If the use case doesn't apply you're fine.

3 Likes

Agreed. And, thank you. I expect many here create far more complicated integrations and are far more experienced. Some of the stuff you guys come up with leave me scratching my head and sayin whodowhatnow? :rofl: But I am very grateful you all are here developing and guiding (holding our hands) through this experience.
Thank you al and thanks for your patience.

1 Like

He is another hair on fire/outrage video guy (aka a-hole) I won't watch anymore, so I don't know his use case.

But I applaud his efforts to get vendors to better support end customers. As someone that owns ~200 GE/Jasco devices, I would love more options such as firmware updates, even though I don't have a burning need for them.

1 Like

Not me... Big believer in the KISS principal lol

1 Like

We're working on a product registration process that will make it easier to access the firmware. Our main goal is to have everyone be aware of the possible risks of applying the wrong firmware to a device. We have so many models and versions it's easier than you think to get confused.

That's definitely one of our top priorities now. While we like getting questions and feedback, our support team is looking forward to this change as well :wink:

Oh and we got so many emails about the Linus video from you guys recommending to reach out to them so we did, hopefully something good will come out of it :slight_smile: Thanks for bringing issues like that to our attention, it helps so much to understand what's really important to our audience! :heart_hands:

14 Likes