Is the Zooz Zen27 still considered "to chatty"?

I'm pretty new to HE. I have a single Zooz Zen21 switch that controls two lamps connected to a Zen25 double plug, and that's it.

I am wanting to get some Hue lights for our bathrooms. I was originally planning on just using another Zen21 with the relay disabled so I can use it as a scene controller. But then I saw this post talking about an upcoming firmware update to the Zen27 dimmer switch that would allow the relay to be disabled, but still use the dimming feature to dim smart bulbs.

So then I started looking into that, because then I could use scenes (though I would lose 2 because the dimming is done by pressing and holding up/down on the paddle) and dimming from the switch and wouldn't need to rely on voice commands or the app for dimming. But I've found threads with people having issues with them, and HE staff commenting saying the switches are too chatty and to not fill your house with them.

If you do a search for "Zen27" you'll find other threads talking about this too. But when I look on the big spreadsheet of supported devices, I see the Zooz Zen 20 - 27 all listed.

I'd add this post to your extensive compilation of background literature: https://community.hubitat.com/t/in-youre-opinion-how-well-will-the-zooz-dimmer-work-with-smart-bulbs-firmware-update0/24249/12

To add to that, Hubitat added support for the ZEN27 after Zooz disabled continuous level reporting while dimming, which was the source of the chattiness (my recollection is that they refused to do this before that was changed). Or so I thought Zooz disabled it--apparently it is a parameter you can adjust (that is where the post comes in above). I have no idea what happens when you enable that (does it still report, just not every single percentage--which would potentially cause 99 mesages in a matter of seconds?), but in any case, it's something you can disable, so I'd classify the device as "safe." :slight_smile:

But for your purpose: if you're not attached to the idea of an in-wall switch, there are plenty of options that work well. Lutron Pico remotes are my favorite (Smart Bridge Pro required--so not cheap if you want one, but the devices themselves are so cheap it will tip in favor if you get a lot). Some people have luck with the Eria Remote/Dimmer (mine keep falling off my network lately, and I don't like how long a "hold" takes to register). All of these can fit in a standard decorator plate and replace the switch--you just have a battery to worry about. The Osram 2-button dimmer is ugly but could go over a switch, as could the Lutron Aurora, and you can use literally any button device--or anything you want (including any of these options)--such as the Hue Dimmer pretty much anywhere (elsewhere on the wall, table, etc.).

Basically, Iā€™d just wait and see how dimming is implemented

Also, @agnes.zooz, if you see this I have some questions about the upcoming firmware update to the Zen27 mentioned in the other thread. Like I mentioned, I'm very new to HE and automation in general.

1. Is there a place where Zooz has announcements for updates? I couldn't find one in my quick searching. How would we know when this new firmware is even available? Do y'all announce ahead of time what features are being worked on/added?

2. How exactly does the dimming work in this new firmware? I don't have any Hue lights yet, so keep in mind I'm not familiar with their hub or app yet.
    2a. Let's say I'm giving my toddler a bath and he wants green lights, but we want to make them dimmer. Can the Zen27 dimmer literally just dim the lights without affecting the other current settings?
    2b. I've read that you can currently do dimming with your existing switches, but nothing will change until you release the paddle. So for example, if you wanted to make the lights dimmer, you can setup a rule so that on press and hold the bottom button, the lights dim, but the change doesn't go into affect until after you release the paddle. With this new firmware, will the light dim/brighten in real time as you hold the buttons?

3. Are you planning on giving some switches to popular Youtubers that review HA products? I've seen y'all link to the DIY Smart Home Guy channel before and he seems to review Zooz products a bit.

I didn't see that post when I was searching, thanks.

I don't really want a battery powered solution. That means I'd either need to do something to make sure the power switch stays on all the time and no one turns it off, or bypass the switch completely and make the socket always hot, which I'm not comfortable doing. The Aurora won't work for me because the current switch is a rocker switch, so I'd have to buy a new toggle switch, just to never actually use it.

I view the dimming that the Zen27 is supposedly adding as a nice bonus, but not completely necessary, so if it's not implemented in a way that suits me, I'll just get a Zen21 switch and use it as a scene controller, and then if I want to dim the lights I'll just use a voice command or the app.

I am holding off to purchase a dozen or so Zooz switches with the new firmware to use with Hue Bulbs. I hope they come through and announce it soon.

1 Like

We publish a change log for each model on the support portal where we publish details for every new firmware release. It's usually at least a couple of month between the OTA file release and mass production release due to our manufacturing schedule so it's hard to announce the official release between a few parallel selling channels since Amazon will often have older versions in stock for much longer for example. The best way to make sure you're getting the latest firmware is to get in touch with our support pre-purchase so we can get the products updated manually for you if needed.

Our goal is to have the smart bulb behave just like a regular bulb connected to our dimmers, so you would press and hold the upper paddle to increase brightness and press and hold the lower paddle to decrease brightness. And just click any of the paddles for on/off. That will all happen through remote control and not direct load control so there's no conflict between the electrical and electronic part of the devices like you'll see when using smart bulbs connected directly to wall dimmers.

We're always looking to collaborate with Youtubers and bloggers. We have a few established relationships that we send new products to so you'll probably see the new firmware in action once it's 100% done. We really hope to have it completed in the next couple of weeks for the OTA version.

I'll keep you guys posted on the progress here.

1 Like

We have the beta firmware ready for the ZEN27 so if anyone using smart bulbs would like to give it a go, please send me a message. Thanks!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.