Do you ever think they be a solution like the lutron aurora, but in wall?

Have you done that yet? The new firmware hasn't been released yet allowing you to do that for the dimmer devices.

As of this summer, most Zooz firmware has allowed you to effectively control smart bulbs by disabling the relay and using central scene commands from the switch (interpreted as button events by the driver) to control the bulbs, e.g., double-tap down to dim, or whatever you want. This is also how the new Inovelli switches work and, I assume, how the new Inovelli dimmers will shortly.

The even newer Zooz firmware is reported to allow the switch to keep track of level so you could effectively use it like a hardwired Lutron Aurora (which despite looking like a button is actually a Switch and Switch Level device). How well that will work, we'll see. :slight_smile: If it works well, it could basically be what the poster is asking for as long as they're OK with using the switch as a sort of "master" to track level for the individual bulbs.

EDIT: I have since learned that even the current (May/June 2019, not the one they're going to release in fall of 2019) firmware supports "held" and "released" events for the paddle when held up or down. For me, this already does everything I want with smart bulbs, and I'd actually prefer that to something that tracks level (which means I'd need an awkward "mirroring" workaround to make it work as expected). The only feature I'd request is that when local control is disabled, it doesn't disable control from in-wall "dumb" switches, which still cut power to the device. Maybe this will help by providing some option for that? (I understand the difficulty as-is where when local control is enabled it will just toggle the load, but with local control disabled it's not clear what it should do--it certainly can't pick a tap up or down automatically despite a human knowing which they'd probably prefer, so maybe sending another special button event, if possible, would be nice so the human can decide what they want.)

1 Like

I have not. I use Lutron Caseta devices because I don't have neutral wires in my switch boxes. For a couple circuits with low-voltage lights (which will only work with the caseta dimmers that require a neutral), I went with the solution that @aaiyar mentioned, i.e. connect the line and load wires in the box and install a pico for control via hubitat; since they make a mount that goes in a switch box I went with that option.

But I agree with you that it's unlikely Hue will release a device capable of what the innovelli switch can do, I suspect the market for smart bulb users that want to (or are even allowed to) re-wire an in-wall switch/dimmer for use with smart bulbs is waaaay smaller than the general smart bulb user market.

Additionally, you should consider looking up your local building codes if you have questions about whether certain wiring configurations are permitted. Although there are national standards in the US like the NEC, local governments can vary in the way they implement those standards into local building codes. Or you could always hire an electrician licensed in your area.

"Someone told me [xyz] in an online forum" is unlikely to impress the local fire inspector or your insurance company in the event of an electrical fire...

1 Like

Zooz doesn’t dim, or I would

1 Like

The zooz doesn't support the release function. Only pushed or held. Is my understanding.

And the new firmware will create a dimmer device while keeping the load always powered. What Zooz has not answered is how it will handle "ramping". Currently, dimmers don't report their level till you release the paddle. Which would make them useless in dimming smartbulbs. You wouldn't know what the level was going to be until you released the paddle. And then it's a crap shoot. Zooz has no answer to that question that I have asked several times.

1 Like

I forgot to mention above that there's an another in-wall control device for Hue besides those mentioned above, the Click for Hue by RunLessWire: https://runlesswire.com/click_philips_hue/. Unlike the others, this one isn't battery-powered; it's Zigbee Green Power like the Hue tap, so it's powered by the kinetic energy from the button presses. It's still not mains-powered if you insist on having a mains device for some reason (a switch or dimmer with the relay disabled that will still report button events is as close as I've seen there), but it's still something else you could consider.

EDIT: And I forgot about the RGB Genie mains-powered controllers Hubitat added support for this summer!

I saw those and was thinking about picking one up to see if it could pair to HE but I couldn't find if it was Touch Link or not.

I'm curious too, but given that it uses Zigbee Green Power, I'd doubt it would work on Hubitat or even pair at all. Even if it did--and I have a Hue Bridge where I could (and probably would) use it instead--the $60 pricetag is there to stop me (think of all the Picos I could get instead! :laughing: ).

1 Like

For my one RGBW controller, I use a RGB Genie 5 button Zigbee remote. It works fine with Hubitat. Two of the buttons I programmed for dim/brighten, and the other two buttons are used to cycle through colors. There is even a scene button you could program for a favorite color/brightness.

It would be a good alternative to Pico remotes if you didn't have a Lutron bridge. It is more costly than a Pico, but much cheaper than Pico and a Bridge Pro. It mounts like a Pico does, so it is compact and no wiring is involved.

Is it possible to use a Pico to cycle through the basic colors of a Hue bulb? I have a Lutron Pro Bridge integrated with Hubitat. The Hue bulb is paired directly to Hubitat.

Actually, they sorta answered this in one of my posts.

She didn't give a "This is how it will work 100%" type answer, but said the goal is to make it work the exact same as a normal bulb, and a normal bulb dims/brightened in real time as you hold the paddle buttons down.

1 Like

Our goal is to have the dimmer report brightness level in real time. The beta firmware is ready so if there are any volunteers with a smart bulb set-up and our dimmers on hand, please pm me!

1 Like

Send me a free one and I’ll testify it. Actually, send 6, for through errr...testing :rofl:. On a serious note, do you know how this is accomplished?

1 Like

So, the dimmer will report every level change? So, every time the level goes up by 1% it will report that to the Hub? Or, will it wait until it is finished ramping (i.e. the user lets go of the paddle) to report the value to the hub, the way that dimmers currently report manual changes?

You can see why both would be very problematic. Reporting every percentage that the dimmer changes from a manual change will greatly saturate the network with a ton of messages whenever the dimmer is changing. And not doing that will result in the bulbs not ramping with the dimmer. This is the question that I mentioned has not been answered at all. As you are touting this new firmware as the ability to control smartbulbs and users are planning the use of this new firmware into their future plans for their systems, I think that this fundamental question has to be answered.

1 Like

I like the idea of turning the knob for dimming as well. Too bad it's not part of the Caseta line. It's so much easier with kids instead of pressing up/down with the pico.

Yes, but it still works with HE, doesn't it? (If that's correct), can't you use it to control any other HE-connected device, zigbee or otherwise?

Correct. It pairs with HE and you use something like the Mirror Me app to pair it to actual devices.

1 Like

Oh wow, didn't know it's working with HE. Thanks.

Yup, as @Ryan780 points out, there is a built-in driver for it. The major issue with deploying these widely is cost. A Pico remote can be had for <$15. These are closer to $40.