Is Hubitat zwave really that terrible?

Works semi-stable for several days (occasionally looses couple of devices...). Then suddenly all devices loose the connectivity. Very unreliable. In zwave said it has connections but in practice, not.
Tried all described tricks - adding on places, waiting between bunches of several devices system to "settle", etc etc.. By now 3-4 times re-added all devices.
Zigbee is OK. Zwave is crap on Hubitat imho. FIX it. And ffs, make the system ask before adding devices! Frequently it get stuck, so we need to choose before such semi-ecognized devices got pushed into system!
Tomorrow again will reset the system, was thinking to push all zwave devices to SmartThings wher were working with no problem and then those to notify Hubitat until developers fix this flawed system.

1 Like

Could you post a screenshot of your z-wave details page (http://your_hubitat_ip/hub/zwaveInfo)?

My z-wave network has about 60 devices, of which 20 are z-wave plus, while the rest are z-wave.

The only time I've had z-wave issues is when I created a bunch of stranded and ghost devices about a year ago. I had no issues before that. My z-wave network continues to function after migrating to a C-7.

So I'm curious to see if there are any ghost or stranded devices in your network (or a bunch of devices paired with S0 security), because it is not normal for devices to be "lost" every few days, or for the entire z-wave network to become unavailable. These symptoms indicate there's a problem; the good news is that there's plenty of others with fully functional z-wave networks, so problems can be fixed.

4 Likes

In response to the title of the thread, for me, no.
Have you posted before asking for assistance/guidance/reasons for your issues?

How does that work? What is actually happening.

4 Likes

I would say it’s not great. For some it seems to work perfect and for others, not so great.
I have sent mail (two weeks ago) to support and also reminder mails but no response so far. I have also tried to get help here on the forum but no replies,

I understand you'd like a follow-up on your escalated ticket. However, as mentioned in our response, your ticket has been referred to engineers. We hope that next release will resolve some of your reported Z-Wave problems. If you continue to have problems after release, please don't hesitate to submit another ticket.

5 Likes

Pointless & tiresome to do so.
But some things devs to thk re fixing:

• Ghost nodes hard to delete, sometimes takes hours hitting remove before Hubitat suddenly decides to do so.
  • Adding devices is gamble. Same model devices sometimes recognized, sometimes recognized as other devices, sometimes only ID recognized and added as ghost in the system. Thus requesting to ask user before pushing to the system.
  • Beyond me why device handlers are not public so to learn from them/discover bugs by community & provide feedback.
  • Mobile app geofencing is joke, need complete rewrite. SmartThings working flawlessly so seems is not iOS problem.
  • Give us ability to write custom dashboard tiles - currently is so ancient. look as well.
    If you plan to push paid service in this shape, guess not a lot of users will go to pay for being beta testers as users.
    Sorry for the flame, but this platform has so great potential and seems noone pays attention in fixing obvious problems.

@bobbyD Thank you for answering. Thought it was forgotten since I haven’t heard anything since and I have little experience how long time it usually takes to get an update.
I keep my fingers crossed that the update will solve my issue.

3 Likes

When is that fix ETA and what will be targeted list of fixes?

After a ticket is escalated, we generally only follow up if we need additional details. The problems reported usually are addressed in the following release.

2 Likes

I under that griping about a situation has some value. But surely there's more value to be gained by taking steps to fix a problem. Anyway, your choice ....

This should not be the case. When I had ghost nodes (with a C-5), I used a secondary controller to remove them. But you're right; it should be facile to remove them using tools Hubitat provides. And with the C-7, those tools exist. So again, without real data, it is hard to tell why you've encountered issues.

A failure to recognize a device is not why a ghost is created. Ghosts are created by a failure to complete pairing. The two are totally independent of each other.

There's a good reason why this isn't done. It would create a support nightmare. And Hubitat doesn't have the support infrastructure to deal with this. However, Hubitat does provide you the ability to write your own driver ....

Both these points are irrelevant to the z-wave issues that your post referred to. Also, I don't use the Hubitat app for geofencing, nor do I use Dashboards.

3 Likes

What data you meant is needed?? I said that we hit countless times remove from node and it is still there until Hubitat suddenly decides to do so, not isolated case - Google it and appear for the other users.

Not my observation.

Straight answer: no, it is not that terrible. I, and many thousands of others, are running z-wave on Hubitat successfully. I personally have 3 hubs at 2 different houses. It works. It actually works really well.

So, if there is not a massive issue underlying the entire platform, what could have happened?

1. Flaky devices. There are off-brand devices that do not follow the z-wave spec properly. Also, the first generation of z-wave devices are poison to a modern z-wave mesh. If you have any that aren't "plus", I cannot stress enough how important it is to get rid of them and modernize.
  2. Misconfiguration and user error. This is not an insult. I make user errors all the time. Setting up a smart home isn't rocket science, but it isn't trivial either.

In either case, you have 2 options. You can:

1. Post screenshots, info about your devices, the steps you are taking, etc. And respectfully ask for help. Many people here will be delighted to provide support.
  2. Continue ranting. It's your right, but I and the other people who would help you will just move on.
7 Likes

Your z-wave setup. Without that, no one can offer suggestions of any value.

4 Likes

Dont understand you. I dont want to write in system code but this to get public so users can copy snippets and actually will write better code for their own handlers.

I understand this is your belief. However, your belief is incorrect. The lack of a device driver will not create a ghost node.

2 Likes

Right now, when someone approaches support about an issue with a device using a built-in driver, Hubitat knows exactly what is in that driver (based on the platform version on that person's Hubitat). Resolutions of issues requires that knowledge.

That resolution would not be possible were there to be multiple versions of built-in drivers floating around.

2 Likes

Not really the case. Using 2 types of zwave: Fibaro system supported and Qubino 16A which didn't have any problems running on SmartThings.
How posting a screenshots will help is beyond me. It should be a some sort of "send logs" from my Hubitat hub so to get troubleshooted, like in real systems. And no, being vocal about something so obvious is not ranting.

read again carefully what I've wrote.

Your choice. I’m out.

1 Like