Is Hubitat zwave really that terrible?

Originally I was of the same opinion as the OP. However I was able to find plenty examples from the community. What I really need(ed) is someone to write a book Hubitat/Groovy for Dummies. Examples are reviewed after understanding the function and syntax of the many methods.

And as @aaiyar said supporting them would become impossible.
Some months ago Hubitat announced they would not support any community written drivers. By not support I mean they will not answer usage or issue questions. To me this seems perfectly reasonable.

Would an auto manufacturer support aftermarket devices?...No.

So when you use a built in driver you are assured it will work or in my experience any shortcomings will be address quickly.

4 Likes

Last 3 cannot be deleted.

Sorry I beg to differ. This whole thread has had a rant vibe since the OP.

As @jwetzel1492 said, it’s your right to complain, but if you’re looking for help solving a problem from the community, the angry and frustrated tone that’s overshadowing everything else you’re saying will just result in less help.

If you’re looking for help from customer support staff employed by Hubitat, you can also open a ticket by emailing them, although as you can see @bobbyD tries to participate here in the forum when he can.

1 Like

yep but response was more of a sort "Thanks for flying Lufthansa".
Without ETA and what's headed to be fixed is actually nothing much as info.
.. or am I wrong? perhaps ranting :wink:

Haven’t you asked this in other threads, and received answers? You don’t have to like the answers, but you’re simply not entitled to see code someone else wrote unless that person (or company) chooses to set some terms that are acceptable to them.

5 Likes

No one knows the ETA for fixes they have in the works because they don’t tend to share that kind of stuff publicly.

You can recognize a staff member by the little shield next to their forum handle. The rest of us are just users like you.

2 Likes

So what if I wrote my opinion in other post as well?? And I disagree that all decisions "by them" should be accepted the way you did. If I do not understand the reason for that, or the reason is strange, idd I keep asking till I get sane answer.

So you’d like to see the built-in driver code, but the reasons discussed in other threads for why you can’t are insane?

Seems a bit hyperbolic.

3 Likes

yes, not answered as they should be. Saying that showing code will increase support tickets is lame, as you can refuse to support any of those. nvm, seems in contrary to my opinion you are OK to not be allowed to look at the code (Samsung do allow, actually even integrated in IDE to clone it, so dont know why Hubitat dislikes to do so).

This is Hubitat dude, it’s not Samsung. Let’s hope Hubitat continues to not be guided by what Samsung chose to do with Smartthings :roll_eyes:.

Sometimes you don’t get to see the blueprints to someone else’s toys, and you might not even get a reason why. When you build your own toys, you can choose whether or not to share with Hubitat.

Just move on? What happened to all your z-wave issues?

6 Likes

Hmm. Well, you can keep trying, but you’ll get the same answer each time.

2 Likes

OK, seems you both folks are really happy users trying to convince me that all is good and working as intended and I should keep quite, so pointless to keep this going.

Let developers read above my requests and act if they find them reasonable.

1 Like

Back to your z-wave problems?

Troubleshooting by providing the info other community members have asked for, trying to help out in their free time? More griping to no real end? You have the floor.

2 Likes

perhaps you've missed the snapshot above. But imo this will not help in troubleshooting, hope you prove me wrong. The last 3 ghost nodes are from one and the same device Aeon Multisensor 6 with system supported driver - 2 others joined this one couldn't and left those 3 ghost nodes from the 3 unsuccessful attempts to join the device.

You say you can’t get rid of the last 3 entries in the Zwave table, but until you do the fact is that your zwave will be unstable, no ifs ands or buts. Generally the problem is that the device that caused the ghost is still partially communicating, so you either need to remove the power from the device or shield the hub such that it can’t get any zwave signals, and then try the remove, and it may still take half a dozen tries to get rid of one. After it removes, shut down the hub, and remove the power from the wall for at least 30 seconds before powering it back up.

7 Likes

Nope, batteries are out from the device.

I feel your frustration. I have seen cases of people not being able to remove some of these ghost devices without using a second zwave stick. Likely not the answer you want, but it may be the way to go.

Not ideal way of doing this, but try this. Go to Z-Wave Details page, then click "Refresh" button for the node you'd like to remove (just that and nothing else). After the page reloads, then click remove. If that doesn't do it, you may need to refresh the browser page manually (not using the refresh button).

1 Like

yep, one of the reasons for this post. The other 5 in my post somewhere above :slight_smile:
Too bad people just post some aikido-answers without actually helping. Hubitat developers need to act as I know that they know the platform needs fixing, just are slow and not transparent what they do.

Helped with 1 out of the 3 ghost nodes. This does need fixing. Something is wrong with zwave implementation in Hubitat. (Zigbee in Hubitat works great for me, so far no problems of any kind.)