Had a handful of Iris V1 Contact sensors that stopped communicating. When resetting and re-discovering, the devices are found, but are just as non-operational as they were when they stopped communicating. Deleting the original device and discovering gets the units communicating again.
From looking at the logs, the failed re-connections appears as so:
[sys:1] 2020-02-06 08:38:59.025 pm Iris Discovery Stopped
[sys:1] 2020-02-06 08:38:58.876 pm Found Previously Joined Zigbee Device IrisV1Contact
[sys:1] 2020-02-06 08:38:22.813 pm Created Zigbee Device Iris V1 Contact Sensor
[sys:1] 2020-02-06 08:38:13.338 pm Initializing Zigbee Device 000D6F0003B29F2D, 33CC
[sys:1] 2020-02-06 08:37:59.019 pm Iris Discovery Running
With the successful pairing appearing as so:
[sys:1] 2020-02-06 09:01:27.232 pm Iris Discovery Stopped
[sys:1] 2020-02-06 09:00:49.021 pm Created Zigbee Device Iris V1 Contact Sensor
[sys:1] 2020-02-06 09:00:44.949 pm Initializing Zigbee Device 000D6F0003B29F2D, F0D3
[sys:1] 2020-02-06 09:00:27.230 pm Iris Discovery Running
Is there a difference in device initialization/configuration when first connecting a V1 contact sensor versus when a previously joined device is discovered? Really more of a curiosity than anything else.
Interesting, actually more intrigued as to why the difference. Both start with a factory reset, the reconnect appears successful, just with no communication from the device. So as to save on rule updates, I end up munging the zigbee id of the original device so it isn't recognized as previously paired, reconnect as new, then swap id/dni between the two devices, finally removing the "new" device. Just cannot figure out why adding as new works, would assume both or none. Think I'm good on routers, of my 51 Zigbee devices, only these 5 have had any issues. Think I probably have 5 repeaters within 15 feet of them.
Thank you, appreciate the response, will just chock it up to V1.
I confirm this issue with V1 sensors. They drop off occasionally and will never ever re-connect through pairing when the device already exists in the system - HE shows it has detected a previous device, but the paring never completes - led on the sensor will keep flashing until the battery dies.
Only way to get them working again is to delete them in HE and then the pairing works as expected.
Big issue with this is when a sensor is used in rules/etc - they need to be re-done.
My mesh is fine, I don't believe this is a repeater issue. @mike.maxwell I think we have a bug.
I had 5 of these in essentially a Faraday cage (old alarm system box), that I had soldered leads to for monitoring some old contact sensors. Had two instances where all 5 dropped out within an hour or two. They didn't appear to go all at once. They'd work great for weeks, then nothing. Resetting would trigger the found previously installed device, but they wouldn't work. Only adding them as new after a reset would get them functioning. Ended up just modding a few V2 sensors to accomplish the same task. The V2's didn't care for the cage either, but they just chewed through batteries until I relocated them outside of the box.
From a device perspective, once factory reset performed, the join/rejoin should be a moot point. But only the join as new would return the device to a functional state. I've got a few V1 buttons that had exhibited the same behavior, but seem to be fine at this point.
Do you have new or fairly new batteries in these devices? I have a ton of the V1 devices. Not all of them are currently paired but the ones that I do have paired have been working fine. I keep all my battery levels above 45% on all devices, not just Iris v1 stuff.
Ok, on a whim I decided to try simulating the issue. Ended up being much easier than expected for my setup.
Step 1: Add new V1 Contact Sensor - Verify operation
Step 2: Factory Reset V1 Contact Sensor
Step 3: Re-discover V1 Contact Sensor - Found as Previously Joined Device - Sensor continues pairing mode and then eventually gives up
If I delete the item added in Step 1, the sensor can then be added and will operate properly.
Edit: @Otto_Mation, @Vettester, @scunny - Gents, any chance one of you have an extra V1 contact sensor you could test this with? Possible its hub-specific? For me, once a paired V1 contact is reset and requires to be re-paired, it will not function unless paired as new. I will have to try one of the V1 motion sensors I have around to see if it is limited to the contact sensor.
I was able to test this with a V1 motion sensor, with the same results.
Pair, verify, factory reset device, re-pair. The hub will find as a previously joined device, but the sensor never completes pairing.
@mike.maxwell: Looks like both the V1 contact and motion sensors exhibit this behavior. If, for some reason, the sensor needs to be re-paired with the hub, the pairing never completes on the device end. Performing a factory reset on a paired device simulates this problem in my environment.