Iris V1 Contact Sensor Reconnect

I would agree with others in the thread to avoid these. When they work, they work great. But when they decide to not play nice anymore, the only solution is to reset and rejoin as a new device. (I will have to verify that this is still a requirement, but haven't seen anything to indicate the reconnection issue has been resolved.) That being said, if one decided to give them a try, be sure to tie them to a virtual contact. Then use the virtual for all of your automations. That way, if the sensor drops off and you need to reset/reconnect, only the link to the virtual will have to be rebuilt for automations to function.

I have just joined this club as well. I was beta testing another system, but their development cycle was just too slow and they still didn't have my garage doors or locks working so I decided to move over to HE. I have this setup in my shop, it is a fairly large shop with a few doors and windows and I thought it great I could use the old V1 stuff to cover it. The other system I was testing was running V1 contact, motion and plugs for close to a year now. Never had any issues, with the devices, some minor issues with the system but the V1 stuff seemed solid..

I hooked up HE about a month ago and all has been well with it until around 2PM yesterday. Almost every V1 contact and motion sensor I have stopped reporting. It was late yesterday before I realized it so I didn't have much time to troubleshoot. I read a post where it was mentioned OSRAM bulbs can be a cause of this and I have one in the shop bathroom. So I went down to the shop to shut down the OSRAM and see if that would get things working again.

I tried to bring back just one of the contact sensors. Nothing I could do to get it reporting again. I finally decided I would just have to reset it. I did so, but did not remove the original instance. During the pairing it said it found a previously paired device. I thought great, maybe I wont have to rebuild all my rules. If I clicked the found device it did nothing to the sensor, it kept flashing showing it was in pairing mode and nothing would update on the device.

I then removed the device and re-paired, it all seemed to go ok, as I saw an updated temp in the events and I thought it was paired. I went back up to my house and figured I would deal with the remainder tomorrow. After about 30 minutes I realized that the device was still not reporting. So I went back down and it was the same issue. So I tried again. This time before leaving I took a magnet and opened and closed it a few times. What I found was it did connect but after about a minute it would go back into pairing mode and lose connection. I tried a second sensor with the same result. At this point it was about 10PM and I figured I would have to start again after work tomorrow.

I have gotten a second hub and have started migrating my house over from ST. It's funny in that I had just called earlier in the day and spoke to a contact I made back in the IRIS days about getting some more V1 sensors, as I have been pleased with how they have functioned. A few who have responded to this thread will know who that is, he has a few extra laying around I understand, :slight_smile:. My house setup used none of the V1 stuff as ST doesn't support them. I think that may not be a good idea now.

I am going to remove all the devices if I have time today and rebuild without the OSRAM bulb and see how long it last.

Do you happen to have any IL03_1 plugs?

I noticed on my network that my V1 sensors were bouncing between repeaters far more often than I thought they should. One of these happened to be one of the routes taken, and ended up being common to all of the V1s. I pulled mine from the network.

Check out: http://[Your Hub IP]/hub/zigbee/getChildAndRouteInfo (You'll want to monitor for a bit.)

1 Like

No I only have the original V1 plugs.

Also the sensor I was trying to get to reconnect is a contact sensor but I only use it as a temp monitor and it sits within a couple feet of the hub. There are a few devices that are still talking, however. So it could be one of the devices on the route.

So I ended up removing every device that was hung up and that was almost all of them. Out of 17 V1 devices 6 were still active. Initially after removing all the hung devices I got the same result. A device would initially connecte but after about a minute it would go back to pairing mode. I shut down the hub and restarted.

So after the restart the first two devices paired perfectly. As I paired a device I sat with it and made sure it would send data for a couple of minutes before I put it back in place. On my third device it happened again, the device paired but then dropped out. I then sat that device aside and tried another and thing started going well again. I had all the devices in a pile and not sure which one I was using before. So maybe I just had some bad devices.

On my 7th or 8th device I had a device that had been connected show up in the paring window. HE stated it found a device that had been previously connected. It was a one of the devices that I did not have to re-pair initially. I put the device aside that I was trying to pair and reset the device that showed up, it had stopped communicating. The device re-paired with no issues. So maybe the new device I was trying to pair caused the issue. After that everything else I did paired with no issues. I still have a couple of more to do but it got late.

I am monitoring now to see how long it will last. I will not be putting these in my house until I determine how reliable they are. Maybe this was a glitch with some bad devices. I have also removed the OSRAM bulb I had connected.

So when my battery died for a week on my Iris V1 contact sensor it went into pairing mode as if it was factory reset. I could not complete the pairing process with a new battery, just like everyone has described here.

Here are the steps to temporarily add the sensor as a new device then change the IDs around to revert back to the original Hubitat device tied to all your automations and apps:

1. In your existing Hubitat Iris contact sensor device settings change the ZigBee ID (but don't forget the existing ID, I just added a few zzz's to the end)
  2. Pair the contact sensor in Hubitat as a new device, give it a temporary name
  3. Open the temp device settings and change the ZigBee ID (and save) then change the Device Network ID (and save)
  4. Go back to the original device and change the ZigBee ID back to the original (remove the zzz's) and your device should be working again! I did not have to update/change the Device Network ID on the original device, but you may have to if you install a completely new sensor.
  5. Delete the temporary device.
    Done!
3 Likes

Thanks m4ha7m4!! Nice workaround. Had to do this to my Iris V1 Outlet. My wife gets frustrated with them and hits the green button too many times :frowning: This trick saved me spme time correcting it days after just doing it prior..

I came to HE primarily because I have a house-full of Iris V1 devices, including many contact sensors on windows and doors, and many others in use as temperature sensors. They've been solid for several years on HE. However, twice in the past month, I've had the majority of them fall off as described in the above posts, all within a few minutes of each other.
Nothing has worked short of removing/re-joining, and then rebuilding rules. I've now seen the two work-arounds suggested (creating a virtual device, or renaming and switching the names back once re-joined). Since this first happened just a month ago, I replaced all batteries at the time, so they were all above 90% battery power when it happened again. This is not something I experienced on Iris or SystronicsRF, and I'm stumped.
Has it ever been determined what is causing them all to fall off at once? I'd rather solve the problem than do the work-arounds again next month.
@Otto_Mation, @Vettester, and @scunny , have you continued to see this happen with your systems?

I have not migrated yet so I can't give any feedback at this time.

All of my v1 sensors have been working well, but Iā€™m still running everything on two C5 hubs.

Hello @josephpsc, it has been a long time. Like @scunny and @Vettester, my Iris V1 gear has been rock solid but I am also on C5 hubs. I have two hubs (one in the house and one in a shop) that are paired to Zigbee and ZWave devices and another in the house that handles all rules and misc. virtual devices and other hubs and WiFi devices such as Nest, MyQ and a Hue hub etc. All the hubs connected via HubConnect with a Rasberry Pi handling all the traffic. It all works really well and I don't have to tinker with it all the time to keep it going. It just does its thing, which is refreshing, with one minor exception. Every once in a while I will loose the Zigbee radio on the hub in the house that a reboot resolves.

@ [m4ha7m4], your steps for repairing a Gen 1 sensor without losing its apps was extremely helpful. Thanks.

You don't happen to have any of the iris IL03 zigbee plugs do you? I was having the same issue and noticed some odd behavior with one of my plugs. Ended up removing the plug and haven't had an issue with my V1 devices since. (Just noticed my last reply in this thread asked this same question many moons ago.)

That was the late-to-the-game Gen 3? If so, then no. I only have Iris Gen 1 and 2 plugs.

Sure wish the cause was something simple like that. Even with the creative solution that m4ha7m4 provided, this is taking hours to fix.

1 Like

Thanks for the replies @Otto_Mation @scunny and @Vettester . I started and have remained on a C7, and all my stuff runs on just that one hub. With the continuing Zigbee issues on the C8, I think I'll hold here.

2 Likes

That was the one. Could also look at the zigbee routing and see if they are bouncing through different repeaters. Mine would go to the IL03 and then bounce elsewhere, coming back later. Since removal of that routing device my V1 sensors have been rock solid. (I'm also still on a C5.)