Iris Motion Sensor

Lol this is dedication..

3 Likes

AFAIK this device can’t be configured the way you’re asking. It’s not a question of whether or not the settings are exposed by a driver.

It’s a personal preference of course, but FWIW I haven’t had any issues with one of these in my bedroom for like two years now and I do generally consider myself to be pretty sensitive to light when sleeping.

Ah, I see now what you meant. I like it, I'll give that a try. I'm surprised though that Centralite did not implement that functionality or that Lowes did not spec it.

I’ve seen it go both ways on devices from various manufacturers. Best bet is to check the user manual online before purchasing; if it doesn’t mention setting parameters for an LED, timeout, etc, then that device probably doesn’t support changing them.

1 Like

When I meant it wasn't configurable, I meant the device doesn't support it.

1 Like

It's not part of the zigbee spec (an led attached to motion events), zigbee in general has fewer options for these types of things than zwave.

1 Like

The new v3 (or whatever it's actual name is) is actually easier, you don't HAVE to open it, since the LED is far to the top.

{the black tape in the case is: as manufactured, I didn't add that..}

The LED is inside the red circle and "mates" with the "tube" in the case. (Also red circle)

2 Likes

It's not sleeping...but it would have to go right in my line of sight for when I'm watching TV and I just now every time it flashed it would piss me off. So, I'll put it in the kitchen instead.

Right, but it could just be added by a firmware change inside the device if Centralite had it. I wonder if this device could do an OTA download.

Sure, but that's not going to happen.

As near as I can tell it doesn't.

It's an inexpensive, readily available, reliable motion sensor.
It's just not going to have a feature set on par with devices twice it's price.

2 Likes

My Iris motion sensors (the V2 kind) did a couple of OTA firmware updates when they were on my SmartThings hub (so did the Iris contact sensors). Not sure what changed; I didn't notice any difference in performance after the updates.

Centralite responded to me earlier today. They have no firmware for that device that kills the LED. But I'm not their customer, Lowes is. I'll ping Lowes and suggest a change.

FWIW the newest Iris branded motions are not Centralite products, they changed manufacturers. I mention this because it may be a wasted effort.

This. I kinda doubt Lowe’s and centralite have any interest in adding a new firmware for these things with more user-configurable options.

If this is an important feature, it makes more sense to buy a sensor that supports it (which costs more, as @mike.maxwell pointed out).

Alas, any sensor that is software-configurable (i.e., parameters) is probably Z-Wave, and as I've documented a time or five in the past. Z-Wave motion sensors tend to be a bit slower to register motion than ZigBee sensors. If speed is important to you and you otherwise like the Iris sensors, the "black tape" workaround might not be a bad option. :slight_smile:

That being said, I once found the LED annoying, but I've grown used to it. Even in my bedroom, it doesn't bother me, and anywhere else, it's nice to know if something fails whether it's just a dead battery in the motion sensor (so no LED) or a problem elsewhere (though the "elsewhere" problems have greatly diminished now that I'm not relying on a certain other platform's cloud).

How did you open it up without destroying it?

I'd like to put them in places without drawing too much attention to them being there. An LED flash would get someone's attention.

1 Like

Like a lot of plastic snap together devices. The Iris are tricky the first time, pretty easy once you see it happen.

1 Like

Sorry, new to this. I was able to get the motion sensor added as a device. It's set up as generic zigbee motion sensor, but it will not show up in a dashboard even after selecting it to. It's also not updating anything when I'm in looking at the device page.

Nevermind, figured it out. Thought it was a V1 Iris sensor. Deleted it and readied just using signee and it's working now.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.