Iris Motion Sensor

I scored some the Iris Motion Sensors that were on sale at Lowes. $15. But I could only get 4. Still.

I paired it to Hubitat with no problem. It paired immediately after pulling the battery strip. Hubitat decided to use the Generic Zigbee Motion Sensor driver for this device. But there is no setting to disable the LED from flashing when motion is detected. Is there an alternative driver available that allows the LED to be disabled?

+1 for this question. Had no idea that the LED wasn't configurable. Glad I only bought 2 of them cause there's no way this can go in a living room or bedroom. Way too distracting. And the timeout is only 30 seconds and is also not configurable? That seems odd to me as well.

There is no setting for disabling the LED. Black tape or nail polish is the only way.

Timeout isn't configurable either. Only 30 seconds?, meaning you prefer longer?
Personally I do not like long timeouts in motion sensors.

This the correct driver for this device.

True, ask me with monster Bosch motions....

1 Like

The LED lights up the whole center sensor area. You cannot cover it up.

I also have a Zooz 4-in-1 sensor where the LED is configurable. But it's also not $15. And it is also a much bigger device.

As for the timeout, in the pistons where I use motion detectors, I only use the state when it goes Active and ignore it when it goes Inactive. In my case I would like the timeout and re-arm to be as short as reasonable. Then I can decide how to deal with it.

Is there a community-created driver for this device that has that functionality?

30 seconds just means a lot of extra messages back and forth from the hub. I usually prefer at least a minute.

Unless the newer model has this functionality but I remember we talked about this on the other forum with the L model and I ended up doing this.

Before

After

3 Likes

Lol this is dedication..

3 Likes

AFAIK this device can’t be configured the way you’re asking. It’s not a question of whether or not the settings are exposed by a driver.

It’s a personal preference of course, but FWIW I haven’t had any issues with one of these in my bedroom for like two years now and I do generally consider myself to be pretty sensitive to light when sleeping.

Ah, I see now what you meant. I like it, I'll give that a try. I'm surprised though that Centralite did not implement that functionality or that Lowes did not spec it.

I’ve seen it go both ways on devices from various manufacturers. Best bet is to check the user manual online before purchasing; if it doesn’t mention setting parameters for an LED, timeout, etc, then that device probably doesn’t support changing them.

1 Like

When I meant it wasn't configurable, I meant the device doesn't support it.

1 Like

It's not part of the zigbee spec (an led attached to motion events), zigbee in general has fewer options for these types of things than zwave.

1 Like

The new v3 (or whatever it's actual name is) is actually easier, you don't HAVE to open it, since the LED is far to the top.

{the black tape in the case is: as manufactured, I didn't add that..}

The LED is inside the red circle and "mates" with the "tube" in the case. (Also red circle)

2 Likes

It's not sleeping...but it would have to go right in my line of sight for when I'm watching TV and I just now every time it flashed it would piss me off. So, I'll put it in the kitchen instead.

Right, but it could just be added by a firmware change inside the device if Centralite had it. I wonder if this device could do an OTA download.

Sure, but that's not going to happen.

As near as I can tell it doesn't.

It's an inexpensive, readily available, reliable motion sensor.
It's just not going to have a feature set on par with devices twice it's price.

2 Likes