Inovelli Red Series

As a follow up it was bad zwave in the old hub. New hub the Red switch paired up first try, as did the iris repeaters.

Does anyone know how to remove the old hub from the hubs assigned to an account? I tried in the portal but only found hide hub from list.

1 Like

Email support@hubitat.com, they will manually remove it.

2 Likes

Thx.

So I got a bunch of additional reds and wired them up, tried to pair and hub didn’t see anything. Before launching into the hell that resulted in z-wave going south on my prior hubitat hub I tried something different.

I pulled out a WiFi dongle and plugged hubitat into that and powered the hub up beside the new reds. They all paired immediately and painlessly. I moved the hub back to it’s resting place and switches work perfectly.

My conclusion is pairing is a challenge unless your switch is close to the hub. From now on I am using this method with a WiFi dongle to pair every red.

Hope this helps someone avoid z-wave hell that I went through.

Pairing in place is always preferable and doing what you did should not be necessary. You should consider doing a Zwave repair to make sure your neighbor tables get updated.
I have paired a garage door opener, a secure device, that was three hops from the hub with no issues. Secure devices are tough to pair. I worked hard to create a strong mesh to my outdoor devices but once the mesh was built, adding the GDO was easy and in place.

1 Like

Pairing in place may be preferable but in my house it doesn’t work with the red switches. It’s been fine with everything Zigbee and my ZWave repeaters. I spent over 10 hours trying every manner of zwave maintenance including repairs and additional repeaters. It was all a massive waste of time and junked one hub. The method I outlined is simple and works and is quite painless so that’s the reality for me. On the Inovelli forum there are a lot of people having similar problems and I suspect this method would solve their problems so I will post it over there too.

Even though you shouldn't have to do this, if it works for you then why not. These devices all have little quirks and sometimes we have to do something different to get them to work.

I had to do something similar to get my locks to exclude/include properly.

Thanks for sharing. Hopefully it helps somebody else that has the same issue.

1 Like

I had 1 out of 20 red series dimmer that I needed to bring the hub closer to the switch to pair. It was seemingly random because the switches around it (including the one in the same box) paired instantly with no issues. This dimmer also had initially paired with ST while in place with no issue. But after exclusion and attempting to pair with HE it would sit at "initializing" for hours on end. Brought the hub into the same room, paired it, put the hub back and ran a zwave repair and it's been good since.

I have one of these, scavenged from something...

44%20AM

I can try an Include very close to in-place and if it doesn't work, move it near to the Hub. I store it with wire nuts on the bare ends.

1 Like

Nice

I read in another thread that the first single tap of the switch up or down toggles the device on or off. Once the lights are turned on, then you do your taps for settings. In rule machine you can set the button pushed (tap on the upside) or button held (tap on the downside) to match the corresponding "press up x#" or "press down x#" to set how you want to set the lights. So, in my situation, pressing the up switch turns on the lights. If I want to turn the lights to purple 100%, I then double tap the up side. If I want to set the lights to purple 50%, I double tap down. The other post, and I'm sorry I can't find it right now, said to not set x1 settings so I haven't messed with it yet but I keep learning these little nuances as I read and play around.

bjcowlesRegular

Sep '19

And just for reference, as I'm sure this topic will get a lot of search hits. The mapping for scene buttons from Inovelli's site:

• Tap UP 1x = Button 1 PUSHED
  • Tap DOWN 1x = Button 1 HELD
  • Tap UP 2x = Button 2 PUSHED
  • Tap DOWN 2x = Button 2 HELD
  • Tap UP 3x = Button 3 PUSHED
  • Tap DOWN 3x = Button 3 HELD
  • Tap UP 4x = Button 4 PUSHED
  • Tap DOWN 4x = Button 4 HELD
  • Tap UP 5x = Button 5 PUSHED
  • Tap DOWN 5x = Button 5 HELD
  • Hold UP 3 Seconds = Button 6 PUSHED
  • Hold DOWN 3 Seconds = Button 6 HELD
  • Tap the Config/Favorite Button 1x = Button 7 PUSHED taps
1 Like

Wanted to update this list a little bit - this helped me a ton. However, the Hold actions may have changed. When you hold up, it triggers as button 8 pushed. When you release, it triggers as button 6 pushed. See below for the updated list.

Action Button # Event
Tap UP 1x 1 Pushed
Tap DOWN 1x 1 Held
Tap UP 2x 2 Pushed
Tap DOWN 2x 2 Held
Tap UP 3x 3 Pushed
Tap DOWN 3x 3 Held
Tap UP 4x 4 Pushed
Tap DOWN 4x 4 Held
Tap UP 5x 5 Pushed
Tap DOWN 5x 5 Held
Hold UP 3 Seconds 8 Pushed
Release UP after hold 6 Pushed
Hold DOWN 3 Seconds 8 Held
Release DOWN after hold 6 Held
Tap Config/Favorite Button 7 Pushed
5 Likes

Thanks for updating the list! When the switch first came out, they didn't have anything mapped for release. Good to know release is being used now.

I updated my post near the top of this thread with your info.

Something happened to my switch where it isn't registering the Config/Favorite button on the hub. Not sure how to fix that.

I found out a few days ago that my on the desk dimmers (i.e. those I'm just playing with) will pair a lot easier if you use a 3 wire cable that grounds the frame of the switch. Could just be my setup.

John

1 Like

What’s the best way to implement raise/lower dimmer on hold and also scene toggling on multi-tap of the paddles? This is with a CoCoHue group and the switch with the disabled relay.

Rules Machine has raise/lower but no scene toggling. Advanced Button Controller has scene toggling but no raise/lowering on hold of the dimmer.

How do you want to "toggle" scenes? Since the Inovelli supports multi-taps, this is easier than "faking it" with a lot of devices that don't. I wrote Dimmer Button Controller to make this easy on myself for devices like the Pico that don't, but you could create the same effect in Rule Machine (Button Controller might be a bit too limited) if you didn't want to use custom code. In RM, you'd need a variable to track the "push count" and then increment it with each push and check the current value before deciding what to do, something like this (not exactly what I'd personally do but very close), optionally adding a time-based "reset" like Hue Dimmers if you want. This would handle cycling through scenes with successive generations of the same button event (e.g., "button 1 pushed"). But again, for the Inovelli, you don't really need to do that if you just wanted specific taps assigned to specific scenes. You could just use button 1 pushed, button 2 pusheed, button 3 pushed, etc. to directly activate different scenes. Either RM or BC (or DBC if you don't use the built-in mutli-push feature--you don't need it on Inovelli) would work for this easily.

For dimming between a hold and release, you just need to match up the right button events with the right actions. If you're using Inovelli's provided driver, then holding the up paddle is "button 8 pushed" and releasing it is "button 6 pushed." For the down paddle, holding is "button 8 held" followed by "button 6 held" for release. (No, these event names don't make any sense.) If you're using Hubitat's drivers, these are the logical "button 1 held" and "button 1 released" and "button 2 held" and "button 2 released" for the up and down paddles, respectively; however, Hubitat only gives you up to double taps in each direction. Anyway, with either BC or RM, the actions you want for the real-world events are named something like:

• Hold up = "Start raising dimmer levels"
  • Hold down = "Start lowering dimmer levels"
  • Release up and release down = "Stop raising/lowering dimmer levels"

With DBC, you'll need to chose "Dim/brighten until release" on the appropriate button, but it won't work with Inovelli's drivers (just Hubitat's or mine) due to the way they mangled the button event naming (DBC expects a "released" event here).

1 Like

Thank you Robert! I do have dimming implemented right now through RM and the behaviour is as expected. I also have frequently used scenes set for “lower count” taps.

I’d like to be able to have three taps to cycle through coloured scene sets. For example, if I tap three times, scene 1 comes up and I tap three times again, scene 2 comes up and so on.

Is this a matter of a if-then-else loop for the button 3 pushed event or is there a toggle/cycle action in RM that I’m missing?

OK, so let's assume 3 taps up is "button 3 pushed" (Inovelli's custom driver does this). In that case, you could actually use my DBC app--do something like this, except for "button 3 pushed" instead of "button 1 pushed":

(DBC is easily confusing with devices that natively support mulit-taps like the Inovelli because it simulates this behavior on devices that don't, but it sounds like you understand what you want, so it should be good!)

But you could do something similar to that Rule I linked to above, too--just track the current "count" with a variable. It sounds like you're already doing this elsewhere, too. There isn't a "cycle though scenes" feature built into RM, so you'll have to create something yourself, and tracking a value with a variable is probably the easiest way.

Again, thank you for pointing me in the right direction. I was able to implement this in Rule Machine. My hang-up was in using a counting variable. Programming is far from my background! I used this thread to help me figure out how to do it.

Rule Machine is intimidating at first, but starts to make sense once you start playing around with it.