Inovelli Blue

Thought about that, but the wiring is pretty maddening - the switch controls line hot to both a downstream outlet and vanity/sconce lights. Since an outlet is involved, I'm leery to have a smart switch control any of that downstream power (as a load from the switch).

So my intent is to just hardwire that line hot straight downstream, and then use a switch w/ smart-bulb mode as a scene controller (no load)... The wife likes a soft white in the bathroom and I prefer daylight white. So the default tap will be soft white, and I'll set up a double-tap or whatever for daylight.

We're currently doing all that now with an Aurora on the dumb switch for soft and a Hue Tap by the sink I use for daylight.

Something like a Zen71 would work fine too, but I like that looks of that LED bar on the Blue -- I'll think of something to do with that. Plus, the option to directly associate the Blue to the 2 sconce Hue bulbs is intriguing - I'd like to give that a shot.

1 Like

For using as a no neutral switch/dimmer you have to wire the bypass at the light fixture. Can it be done at the smart switch instead?

Also I've used these bypasses for LED bulb issues - assume they would work for this purpose too..

https://www.amazon.com/Direct-Wire-Enbrighten-Jasco-Honeywell-52327/dp/B08ZJQV7W2/

1 Like

Ah, so you had the same electrician who wired my house! I guess he got around... :wink:

1 Like

I suspect the bypass would work fine at the switch too (if neutral available of course) - after all, it'd basically be the same wires involved both places.

If my plan works (I'm confident it will), I shouldn't need any bypass since the Blue won't have a load connection - it'll just have a neutral and line hot (pigtailed off the line hot going straight thru to the outlet & sconces) so it can act as a scene controller.

1 Like

yes, I think that's correct - trying to remember what I did in my upstairs hallway Z-Wave switches...

I "converted" them from a 4-way to single pole (the "real" light switch on the stairs) + 3 no-load smart switches in the upstairs hall.

Using the scene controller (button presses) to handle on/off. Works better than Z-Wave association and no relay popcorning.

1 Like

Inovelli switches support non-neutral wiring. The problem here is that his wiring is feeding an outlet. A different brand switch is not going to fix that.

2 Likes

This sounds like a switch loop that is killing power to both the receptacle and the sconces.

One idea would be to change the receptacle to continuous power and make the sconces the only things switched. This won't solve the lack of neutral, but would allow for a smart dimmer (with no neutral requirement type used) to control just the sconces.

Another thought would be to change both the receptacle and the sconces continuously powered. Take the switch loop and just make it hot/neutral. Then any smart switch could be used, but then smart bulbs would have to be used.

Yet another idea would be to run a new power lead to the existing switch and use the old BX as both hot/neutral for the sconces. Rewire the receptacle to be continuously powered from the existing feed.

Did anyone test zigbee binding with Hue bulbs paired with the Hue hub and the Blue switch on HE? Is this even possible?

Just received an email that my Blue switch status has been changed to shipped!

2 Likes

I'm guessing you placed your order directly with ZWP, and not via pre-order with Inovelli?

It sucks ZWP is shipping their own orders first -- folks who bought last-minute are getting their Blues well before folks who pre-ordered early and helped build the project's momentum.

I know Inovelli isn't happy about that -- it's leaving bad taste in everyone's mouth (except the folks who ordered last-minute, of course). I know I won't ever support ZWP because of these shenanigans, so I hope Inovelli will also sell their products through some other channel too.

1 Like

I ordered directly from Inovelli on 8/5/22.

2 Likes

What?!?!?! I preordered directly from Innovelli in May and I haven’t heard jack.

:grimacing:

I ordered from Inovelli directly as well on Aug 1st.. Received an email last week saying they were starting to ship THIS week...

From the email dated October 7, 2022

Summary: Switches will be shipping to your house next week! If your address has changed since you placed your order and you need it changed, please reply to this email with the proper address.

have not heard anything else yet so am anticipating a week or so to go.. I'm not shipping to my house but to another location.. :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

So, I ordered 1 switch, and from what I saw many of the pre-orders were for multiples, many in lots of 10. So that may have had something to do with these shipments. Also, when I went to the Community link on Inovelli's web page today it has the banner shown below.

1 Like

1 Like

I'm very sincerely rooting for Inovelli to make a strong post-Red comeback (I pre-ordered 9 Blues), but this new partnership with ZWP now seems like a very regrettable choice... I don't know if ZWP grossly misrepresented their capabilities or what to seal this contract, but this is all doing no favors to Inovelli's reputation at a time when they can ill afford more hits.

Fingers-crossed ZWP's shenanigans with this 1st round of Blues all works out OK over the next week or two, but I really hope Inovelli drops this ZWP relationship ASAP when this round is done.

ETA - I know Inovelli is frustrated with how ZWP is handling things -- knock on wood that results in a distribution regime change sooner than later, and not just hopes & prayers it'll go better next time.

1 Like

My project has enough lead time so am not too concerned. Really like their products and am excited to get these installed and running.

1 Like

Is it though? People are freaking out on the inovelli forums and I don’t really understand it. These ZWP people just got the switches like 2 or 3 days ago. Clearly we aren’t talking about Amazon here, so I’m not sure what all the panic is about, over 3 days, it’s not like the switches have been with these folks for weeks and still aren’t shipped out. Is it a little disappointing they shipped their own orders first, maybe, but a couple extra days when it’s already been a 6 month wait doesn’t seem like much to get up in arms about :man_shrugging:

I’m not sure if we all just have skewed perspective because of two day Amazon shipping or what, but sure feels like people are getting overall excitable.

2 Likes

I agree - At the end of the day I care about my delivery not necessarily that someone got it ahead of me. If I were on a tighter deadline I would probably be more concerned.

Most of us really don't know what's going on over at Inovelli so any unexpected issues can cause worry. Trust is a fragile thing.

Also it's kinda weird being offered Zigbee devices from a site called Z-Wave Products...

1 Like

Whenever he can be, Eric has been very transparent with the good, bad, and ugly of things thus far.

He was confident all Blues would ship out this week. Logistically, that was probably impossible but why would he repeatedly say that? Is the more likely answer that he suddenly went from being transparent to loose & shady at the very end here, or is that the distributor made unrealistic assurances to him?

Whether ZWP made those assurances in good faith or not, it's equally concerning -- they're either really incompetent at logistical planning or they just outright lied.

Eric was under the (very reasonable) impression that pre-orders would ship first. Perhaps it was just a miscommunication that messed that up, but even so -- what sort of reputable distributor doesn't prioritize/honor the retail concept of first-orders-ship-first? Instead they immediately began fulfilling their own orders to line their own pockets first.

To me, both of those are sizable red flags.

Most folks who ordered Blues get it -- we're all people who want to support an Inovelli comeback and we understand there will be bumps along the way. Waiting another week or two is no big deal, but Inovelli needs a competent distribution partner for long-term success and growth. ZWP doesn't seem to be it, but I guess time will tell.

1 Like