[INCIDENT] ZOOZ Double Plug (MODEL ZEN25)

ya it works fine with parameter 18 at 1,, no reporting whatsoever.. but i wanted a report every 10-15 minutes or so.. but i was getting every 1-3 minutes when i set it back to 3 (i think the default

and agnes was saying they dont know what the issue is.. i am saying that is one of the issues.
)

1 Like

Thank you for the update @agnes.zooz.

We haven't received any updated from Hubitat about what could be adjusted in the device firmware to improve performance on the C-7 hub

@bcopeland is this on Hubitat's to do list?

Please check if the reporting threshold is also set to something higher like 10 Watts because the frequency settings will apply to the lowest frequency of reporting but if the reporting threshold is met more often (so if the load produces a lot of power draw changes), this may result in more reports sent to the hub.

Could this be an option inside the driver supported by Hubitat?

that wont work.. as the camera and hue hub it is connected to only put out 2-3 w.. there needs to be obviously an override just to say. "report every 10 minutes" etc.

Other than the obvious meter overactivity.. I would need to see a debugger output on the code.. Because I am witnessing an obvious watchdog restart of the software on the device after some kind of failure.. Which causes the load to temporarily drop and come back up.. But I can only imagine the madness this does to routing, as it acts as a mains powered repeater.

1 Like

Other than the obvious meter overactivity.. I would need to see a debugger output on the code.. Because I am witnessing an obvious watchdog restart of the software on the device after some kind of failure.. Which causes the load to temporarily drop and come back up.. But I can only imagine the madness this does to routing, as it acts as a mains powered repeater.

@agnes.zooz sounds like the ball is in Zooz's court... or at least some behind the scenes cooperation between Zooz and Hubitat?

We'll do our best to provide a workaround once we're able to pin down what's causing the issues. Thanks for your patience everyone!

1 Like

If you set the reporting threshold to 10 W and reporting frequency to 10 minutes, it will report the current value every 10 minutes. So you'll still get accurate information but you won't get additional reports if the power changes by say 1 W every 30 seconds (which is typical for the inductive loads you're using it with). I hope that's clearer now!

1 Like

ok did as you suggest and as before it is still reporting too often.. see logs and settings

1 Like

also tried 50w .. still not working correctly and shouldnt be reporting anything other than power

Try changing your "Power Reporting Threshold" to Disabled.

Even if you have it set at 50W, that crazy swing to -1925W is triggering the report.

1 Like

ya but i do want some type of reporting.. just not every few minutes.. why is the switch showing such a crazy negative.. the power is obviously not going negative.. seems like a bug.

That will not disable all reporting, it will only disable ad-hoc reporting due to power fluctuations.
Your other selection at 10 minutes will still yield a report every 10 minutes.

3 Likes

ok thanks will try that.

thakyou working well that was the mystery setting now reporting once every 10 minutes with no extra crap.

3 Likes

I don't know if it helps or not, but I just came over from Vera. I had this device connected to my Vera for the better part of the last year with no issues. Yesterday I excluded it from Vera and included it in Hubitat. Pretty much right after that the issue of it randomly turning off and right back on again. I have roughly the same devices connected to the Hubitat that I had on Vera (one Aoetec dimmer had a minor electrical issue and didn't make the trip).

I think @kahn-hubitat owes you a beer. (And @agnes.zooz too!) :wink:

2 Likes

I'm glad I can help... but in my mind his problem is still not solved. What if he wanted to use ad-hoc power reporting?

It's not really the power reporting that is the root issue with this and possibly other Zooz devices. The device and Hubitat should be able to manage simple power reporting without issue, but because there is an underlying issue with communication and radio backlog, the power reporting brings the network to it's knees.

Honestly, there's way too many workarounds posted on these forums in general for my liking. The "try it until it works" approach from support doesn't feel very good either - because things usually do eventually work once and support can and will then move on. Inclusion issues on the Hubitat C7 have been ongoing, from what I can tell, since early summer. They may be somewhat better now, but they are certainly not "fixed" and I truly believe there is a major underlying device/radio issue that is being downplayed, ignored, and hidden from Hubitat users by support which is likely coming from their management. It's either that or Hanlon's razor is at play... either way it's not a good thing for Hubitat users.

Do I have a working mesh? Sort of... but I don't trust my automations because they don't happen ~5% of the time at random, my devices are not "secure" despite the products I've purchased all being supposedly able to support this security, I can't really use power reporting at an interval that is useful for me, and Google thinks my blinds are dimmer switches... I'm hesitant to buy in to this ecosystem further not because of one particular problem, but the whole experience is terrible - It's very flaky, unpredictable, and untrustworthy.

I will say that the community here is a wonderful resource- I appreciate the users, developers for Hubitat apps and code, and I really, really want to support the "your own cloud" model for privacy and security reasons, but frankly if there was a better product out there for me I would have moved on a long time ago.

/Rant

2 Likes

I have to say I've definitely felt your pain since I joined HE w/my C7 earlier this year. HE has required much more hands-on maintenance and problem solving than ST ever did for me...of course w/ST I started w/an established release of their hub (Gen 2) that had been out for almost a year and a half when I got it, and the devices I used w/it had also been around for a while.

W/HE I've started w/a brand new hub release, w/brand new Z-Wave version/SDK, and lots of newer devices (S2 and otherwise). Result has definitely been pretty rough at times.

The active and productive community here is the key factor that keeps me involved w/HE and willing to put up w/the quirks and problems I've experienced. I can happily say that currently my home is running w/great stability and reliability...the few blips I've had recently are related to a known issue w/battery devices that is expected to be fixed in 2.2.5. Other than that things are "just working" for me day after day.

But I'm smart enough to knock wood as I say that. :wink:

4 Likes