Ikea trip: What to buy?

@mboisson you are right.

VINDSTYRKA does not report "Air Quality Index", but VOC or tVOC index values. The same applies to Aqara Air Quality sensor ...

I will do some more research during the weekend and will change the driver, the numeric value attribute will be named "tVOCindex" probably... as it is definitely not a TVOC measured in ppb ( parts of gas per billion parts of air),

Do you think that the 'Index Category' value from the table that you linked corresponds to the "Index Value" as measured by the Ikea sensor?

4 Likes

I do not think they are the same scales. That one was from another vendor, Kaiterra. It seems to be an absolute scale (50 or less is good, 51-100 is moderate, 100-150 is high, …)

By comparison, the sensirion document states

On the VOC Index scale, this offset is always mapped to the value of 100, making the readout as easy as possible: a VOC Index above 100 means that there are more VOCs compared to the average (e.g., induced by a VOC event from cooking, cleaning, breathing, etc.) while a VOC Index below 100 means that there are fewer VOCs compared to the average (e.g., induced by fresh air from an open window, using an air purifier, etc.).

So that sensor produces a measurement which is relative to your own baseline… assuming nothing changed in the air around the sensor, I would expect the sensirion sensor to stabilize at a value of 100, regardless of the actual concentration of VOC in the air. A pretty useless measurement, I think.

But I may be wrong, there are a lot more details on their algorithm in this document https://sensirion.com/media/documents/4B4D0E67/6436C169/GAS_AN_SGP4x_BuildingStandards_D1.pdf#page3

But I haven’t had time to read it all

1 Like

For what I understand from reading this is that the sensor does not discriminate between specific VOC nor between harmfull and harmless ones. Furthermore, its sensitivity is not the same across all VOC. So with all those limitations, they decided not trying to report an absolute value which would be misleading and inacurate. Instead they choose to mimic the human nose.

This is more suitable as a trigger for automation related to odors, not air quality per say. (bathroom fan, cooking, cat litter)

2 Likes

I have updated the driver to version 2.1.5 (2023/09/02 9:24 PM") :

• removed airQualityLevel ( the "Good", "Moderate"," Unhealthy...." ... text )
  • airQualityIndex replaced by sensirionVOCindex
  • the sensirionVOCindex is deleted from the events if the polling is disabled
  • added thresholds for the PM 2.6 and the sensirionVOCindex (can be adjusted for less frequent reporting)

The preferences should look like this:

If it is working OK, let me know and I will put this version in HPM for easier installation and updates.

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/kkossev/Hubitat/development/Drivers/VINDSTYRKA%20Air%20Quality%20Monitor/VINDSTYRKA_Air_Quality_Monitor_lib_included.groovy

3 Likes

Working great for both sensors. :+1:

"VINDSTYRKA Air Quality Monitor" driver can now be installed from HPM.

If the driver was already installed manually, do a 'Match Up' in HPM.

3 Likes

Was getting really high IAQ readings in one room. Logs showed it jumped every 15 minutes. Found out my wife put an automatic air freshener right next to the VINDSTYRKA.

1 Like

That means that the sensor works! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Works fine. Thank you!

I moved my VINDSTYRKA over to Hubitat from the Ikea Dirigera hub.

Pretty cool that your driver shows info that even the Ikea app/hub doesn't display.

I did the match up and update via HPM and now for some reason the new 'sensirionVOCindex' attribute isn't triggering events for Maker API where almost everything else is? I'm seeing this on 2 different hubs (2.3.5.152):

Edit: Seems removing and then re-adding the device to the MakerAPI instance did the trick. That's interesting. I wonder how many other of my devices that have gotten new states aren't pushing the data...

Had the same issue with maker API

Did remove/re-add work for you as well?

Oh...and @kkossev, I've been wondering if your driver should get its own thread?

2 Likes

I tried a few things before it started working... I think remove/add from Maker API was one of them.

I was trying to access it from Node Red. It was showing the attribute in the device node, but it just wasn't updating when changed at first.

:+1: Done :

Let's use the new thread for VINDSTYRKA-related discussions.

2 Likes

On the OP "What to buy?" - seems like that a Drigera hub is a must-have for those of us, who are using a lot of IKEA buttons and remotes.

Latest IKEA firmware updates made possible a lot of buttons and remotes (probably all?) to pair and work directly to Hubitat hubs !

There are two new excellent drivers by @dandanache (the author of the Zigbee mesh graph) for IKEA remotes :

1 Like

I haven't tried the E1743 on/off dimmer yet (this is what we use the most), but it would be great if I could.

Right now I'm running my Ikea buttons through my SmartThings hub.
My long term hope is to be able to use Matter between HE and the Dirigera, but direct pairing to HE (without battery issues) would be even better.

E1743 on/off dimmer will work with HE only if the device firmware is upgraded to the latest version - can be done using a Drigera hub or Z2M/ZHA.

The older firmware was using only ZIgbee Groups broadcasts, which are filtered in Hubitat (bit work in ST and Z2M/ZHA).

Works amazing with your Tuya ZigBee Button Driver and the HE Button Controller app.

I've been having issues with these buttons lately on SmartThings since the last ST firmware update.
If they don't eat batteries while connected to HE, this could ultimately remove another piece of hardware from my setup once I find a way to use my Ikea motion sensors.

2 Likes