IKEA Trådfri Outlet

Some say they can pair these with the Hue Bridge. So if you have one and a Hue bridge, could you try "authorizing" the remote with the Hue Bridge using this method, then pair the outlet to the Hue Bridge, and lastly the remote to the Outlet.

That might give you control of the outlet from both HE via the Hue Integration and via local link from the remote to the outlet.

1 Like

I could send you mine. The best part is that since it is so small, it won't take up much floor space. :wink: Tell me where to send it.

2 Likes

Once paired, the button does identify itself as

• model: TRADFRI on/off switch
  • manufacturer: IKEA of Sweden

Mike Maxwell has tested and confirmed that the button will not work with HE.

Bummer

Agree

Too bad, though not surprising sine these are reported (without any documentation/evidence and by ST users, but still...) to use group broadcasting. The same reports (also by ST users, so...) also seem conflicting in whether they can pair it with both a ZHA hub and the outlet to use both at the same time while paired to the hub's Zigbee network, or if it's one (hub) or the other (button/switch with no hub).

I just tried this myself: I already had the button and outlet paired to HE (the button didn't do anything after pairing except send battery reports, presumably due to the aforementioned issue). I was hoping I could then pair the button to the outlet; my best guess as to how was Ikea's regular instructions for this, which are to hold the button near the outlet and press the small button on the button/switch for at least 10 seconds (I waited until the outlet light came back to full brightness after pulsing). I was expecting this to either work and keep both on the hub or to semi-work but steal the outlet's pairing away from the hub. Instead, I think I got nothing: the outlet remained paired to the hub (hard to check the button), and the button didn't work with the outlet.

Oh, well.

EDIT: But now I wonder if it could be used with the Hue Bridge like the 5-button "steering wheel"--maybe paired directly to a bulb or few for direct control while keeping them on Hue? This looks promising: Tradfri On/Off Switch Pairing Tutorial : tradfri

1 Like

I really wish someone made a button like this, small, 2 position. The Samsung button is the right size but it only has the single position. The double taps don't really substitute for the on/off like behavior.

1 Like

Xiaomi is due to release one that will be Zigbee 3.0

It will be called a “two button scene switch”, but obviously that doesn’t mean it has to be all about scene control. And being Xiaomi branded, you know it’s going to be small.

1 Like

This device appears to be touchlink only, all commands are broadcast as well, normally a decent device will send it's commands to the coordinator once a binding is performed against the clusters of interest, not the case here. This is also the situation with the steering remote and the Lutron bulb remote, so it goes...

As they say, you get what you pay for.
Ikea Zigbee items are cheap for a reason, one of which is what they paid for their device firmware...

2 Likes

Sometimes. The Lutron Connected Bulb Remote was originally $30. Not exactly a cheaply made device either.

Yeah, well in this case we know its Lutron raping, just like $5 for a 5 cent piece of plastic to mount a Pico behind a wall plate...

3 Likes

Fair, and true.

IKEA Canada is selling the TRÅDFRI outlet without the remote for $12.99 to IKEA Family members until Jan 02, 2020. “While supplies last” it reads, so it sounds like they are clearing them out. Maybe answering the call for something less ugly, or a new Xiaomi co-created version could also be on the way (purely speculative of course).

Our IKEA had a number of TRÅDFRI items in their clearance/as-is area (near the registers), some going for about $5. They did not appear to be returns. It looked as though they pulled the whole case from the shelf and dumped it there. Picked up a bunch of outlets, some bulbs and steering devices (I keep telling myself that they'll work someday...) YMMV

1 Like

It seems like there might be a new outlet coming for North America. The much better looking, and more appropriately sized Philips Hue outlet that was just announced is probably a factor and call to action for IKEA. Plus, I’m sure the negative feedback and low sales numbers must have had some influence as well.

Rumor has it the next one will be flat packed and require some assembly.

3 Likes

That should be fun!
Ikea-wrench

3 Likes

I have several of those ziggy things left over from previous purchases. I can never figure out where they go. They really should include assembly instructions with there stuff.

1 Like

I got a few of these Tradfri outlets this past weekend and was able to get them added to Hubitat. One of these was placed near my upstairs bathroom with the goal of using it as the repeater for my Aqara temp/humidity sensor in my bathroom. My question is - how can I tell if the Aqara sensor is going through the Tradfri repeater? I don't have an Xbee to map the mesh network.