IKEA Tradfri Led Drivers

Does the Discovery work?
It might be that has not yet been excluded from hue?

There’s a bit of a knack to them I find.

Resets the device, 6 times off/on. Keep the off position longer than the on. You simply need to flash them on, then back off. Keep off for 1 second, then flash it on again. Until 6, on the 6th leave it on. This is for the bulbs.

The dimmer unit:
Make sure you have at least one light attached. Hold a pin in the reset and watch the light dim and then brighten.

As soon as it does that, search for devices.
It should find the device, as soon. As it does power the device off, then back on (it it can hang on initialising). After a while you should be able to change the name and hit save.

I’ve done it this was with 14 bulbs, and 3 dimmer units. Yet to have any of them drop or have any issues.

3 Likes

This was before I paired it to Hue.

Honestly, I think I might just keep them connected to the Hue. In the scheme of things, paired directly to HE or paired to Hue only results in a few milliseconds of delay I've found. Plus, I'm starting to get close to over 75 Zigbee devices on my HE, so letting the Hue handle some of the Zigbee load isn't that big a deal to me. They function well and seem to be responsive. So, now my wife and I have planned to redo all the kitchen lighting using the Ikea driver along with the Omslopp pucks and strips.

I would say Its the best decision.
I have found that placing all your bulbs in a different mesh is the best solution as they are lousy repeaters. It also enables the bulbs to use ZLL instead of ZHA. Some bulbs work much better through ZLL than through ZHA.

1 Like

The only issue I've found is when I have two (or more) lights in a group that aren't all on the same mesh. Very occasionally, I'll see hiccups between my Sengleds and Hue bulbs in the same group (Sengleds on HE, Hue bulbs on Hue). But it's only happened like three or four times in the past couple of months.

One reason I’ve got them on HE, is they’re great little repeaters.

I thought about that as well. I just threw two of the Ikea repeaters on my mesh and I have 5 of the Smartthings 2018 plugs as well. Extra repeaters never hurt though. Next week, I'm getting 3 more of the Drivers (2 30w and 1 10w) and I'm going to put one of each on HE and one more on the Hue hub.

Then comes the fun XBee mapping. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Just picked up one of the 30 watt Trådfri LED drivers today. Have you by change mapped it with an Xbee? Wondering if having this paired directly to HE will be an asset, repeating Zigbee signals like the Trådfri Outlet and dedicated repeater does, or will it be a liability, causing instability in the Zigbee mesh like a Trådfri bulb did to me when I tried paired directly to HE.

I have a Hue Bridge, so I can easily do that, Just thought I might enjoy further signal repeating an a higher level of control with it directly paired.

Is it ZHA or ZLL?

It's ZLL

Then crappy repeater most likely.

Actually I'm assuming Zigbee LL since (have not tried yet), but they apparently pair with Hue.

I don’t have an Xbee so can’t check. They also don’t show up using the http://hub-up/hub/zigbee/getChildAndRouteInfo method either. Although my Ikea GU10s do and seems my Hue dimmers are repeating through them. That said, they don’t appear to have caused any adverse effects either. They fast and haven’t had any issues with any of the 4 I have, even have one out in the garden and it’s been working very well since I paired it.

1 Like

Did you end up mapping this to HUE or HE?

They are on the Hue bridge.

Hi, anyone still using these LED drivers?
Mine just stopped responding to HE, they work quite well if controlled with the IKEA hub or the small dimmers, but HE cant set the dim level or turn them on/off.
I tried pairing them again, they do pair to HE but it does not help.
When i click all the device buttons on the device page, the logs show only the configure and refresh logs. No mention of on, off, set level...

Same thing happened to my Ikea Outlet :frowning:

Last successfull device event is on 25th May, i did update the hub about that time as well

Wait, so no ability to turn on/off the ikea tradfri plug from the driver page?
can you see the on/off capability from rule machine for the plug?

I would test mine, but I returned all my ikea plugs, they kept falling off

Hi Rxich,

I am not sure if this is another UI quirkiness but i dont have Bulb options, only dimmer in Rule Machine

I did try to set dim level and although the command is logged, i set the driver to fade to 50% over 5 seconds, nothing happens on the device.
2020-06-15 21:02:33.991 infoAction: Dim: PAX Internal LED Driver: 50 --> fade: 5

I did make the outlet work, over the past 3 days i changed the channel from 20 (default) to 21 and back to 20, giving 24 hours as stated and it was not working. Today i set the channel to 13 just for gigs and it started working :slight_smile: Will try to remove + reset + pair the led driver again and hope it works

Well i tried to scan for devices while the driver was in paring mode and it did find it but after that it still did not execute commands. I had to remove it and re-add it and now it works. My theory is that the latest update/s changed which zigbee channel is set as default. Both devices work now that the channel is set to 13 instead of 20 or 21.

Interesting. I don't have my two Trådfri LED drivers paired with HE, but I do and have always run my main hub on lucky 13!

Anyway, they are garbage. I still use mine, but had intended to return them just before the Pandemic hit and IKEA closed their retail stores. Mine are on my Hue bridge (channel 25) and despite adding two bulbs primarily to repeat for them, they still drop every so often and cause my LED strips to flash once every so often. Generally not that happy with any of the IKEA Trådfri devices. The outlets, although weak are decent Xiaomi repeaters. My admiration for anything Trådfri pretty well ends there.