Ikea Symfonisk remote! On French Ikea. Zigbee!

Yeah tried that a few times. HE found the device fine, none of the buttons work. Must be faulty.

Interesting, Hubitat have recently added a new driver, IKEA zigbee sound controller, when you drop the device and re add it uses that new driver by default. That driver is not the right one though as it only has 3 buttons.

I bought a Tradfri gateway again :face_vomiting: As much as i'd love to keep everything on HE the Tradfri handles this remote perfectly and i'd rather spend the extra £20 than constantly fail the WAF due to dodgy volume handling and constant disconnections. Hopefully in future another sound control option will appear and work with HE and I can get rid of the IKEA stuff.

I just commented in another post. Having 2 zigbee networks in close proximity isn't ideal, but the *AF (W+?) is of utmost importance, and it works really well as is. Tap to pause, rotate to turn volume up everywhere.

TBH, the Sonos integration with Hubitat hasn't gone very well in general for me. Pretty unreliable for the basic functions it should have (like play and pause). Hubitat overall is awesome, though.

A warning about this controller!

It can apparently freak out for no reason and send garbage Zigbee commands that do weird things with your setup. I just spent a half-hour searching for the error I had made in my rules that was causing the siren on my Xiaomi Aqara hub to sound every time we pushed the button on this remote.

Spoiler! There wasn't an error on my part.

I couldn't find anything I had misconfigured, so I finally pulled the battery from the Symfonisk sound controller and tested it. It was still 100%. I put the battery back in and the weird behavior stopped. So if you're going to use this setup, I will tell you that it works, but if the sound controller stops responding to button 6 (meaning the volume would raise or lower uncontrollably), or things start triggering in your setup, seemingly by themselves, pop the battery for 30 seconds and see it that resolves the problem.

Had the exact same problem. Battery went flat, I replaced it, then no events were received in Hubitat from that point on (note I was using Hubitat's inbuilt driver). I spent 2 days trying to get it paired, tried all of these things:

• pairing again: it would come up as 'found existing device' in Hubitat, sometimes logging a battery level, sometimes not, but still wouldn't receive any button pushes
  • pairing again several times, as @SmartHomePrimer suggests
  • switching to @cybrmage's driver, & re-pairing several times
  • several different batteries (maybe the cheap eBay ones were no good?)
  • deleting the device from Hubitat entirely, and pairing again

None of it worked, and I was considering returning it, despite how well it had worked previously... however then I found this discussion on pairing the remote:

It joins deCONZ's ZigBee network without issues. However, it's only responsive for a very brief period after joining the network, and then goes incommunicado. It won't wake on click, turn, or briefly pressing the reset button.
After several attempts, bombarding it with Read Attributes commands to keep it awake after joining the network, I managed to bind the client OnOff cluster to a group. And then the client Level Control cluster. After that, it now behaves normally, waking up to send commands on click and turn.

So I opened two Hubitat tabs, one on the device pairing screen, and one on the existing remote device page (set to the Hubitat driver, but it would probably work with @cybrmage's driver too). I started pairing in Hubitat, clicked the pair button on the remote 4 times quickly to enter pairing mode, kept rotating the remote to help keep it awake, and then once Hubitat found the existing device again, hit Configure on the device tab.
Worked first try - I'm now receiving events from the remote again!

Edit: ok so now I'm apparently receiving 2 button push events for one press (on both drivers)... still better than none I guess?! need to play with it more...

3 Likes

After exhausting the original battery and replacing it, the button would not work.

Followed this instructions, and now it is working perfectly.

I’ve had no issues with this driver. I use it’s buttons and dimmer functionalities.

Thank you for a great work!

1 Like

I bought 3 last weekend.

Using the build in driver the batteries all went flat in under 24 hours.

Are you all experiencing this issue? I see there's a comment suggesting 2 in 5 are defective is this true?

Anything in the logs? Since there are no detents in the wheel I could easily see the encoder getting stuck between two positions and constantly spam events.

Mine has been fine, but the IKEA warehouse took almost 4 weeks to get it to me so it’s only been connected a few days.

Thanks for sharing your experience with this device, please keep me posted on your battery life.

I was just using a single push to turn on/off a light via the Simple Automation Rules App.

You can see in the logs below that the battery went flat over night with out reporting anything out of the ordinary.

This was the same behavior across the 3 remotes I have.

Mine lasted about a month on the original IKEA battery - low usage though (maybe once a week, if that).

Mine works perfectly but battery reporting is not reliable.

I don’t think it is consuming the battery fast, it seems it is only a reporting issue.

Could it be that the firmware is not extracting correctly the battery value?

So is that the same reason we aren't able to use the Linkind remote? (push on/off, hold to dim up/dn) They pair fine, they're really nice, (and small) and cost $6.72 ea. from the fine folks at Amazon.com

I'm not familiar with this device...

It's the ** Linkind 1-Key Remote Control, Wireless Smart Dimmer Switch**

I use it "touchlink" with a pair of Cree bulbs that are already in HE. Convenient on the guest nightstand. (The remote pairs with HE, but is just a "device")

I think there might be a bug with the Battery Reporting feature of the custom driver. The HEX value sent by the device doesn't seem to be correctly transformed to int.

In the example above, I don't understand how 0x003C gets transformed in 30.0, but I might be overlooking something.

This is the value returned by zigbee.getEvent (line 99) at the top of the parse function. The else if battery section further down (lines 127 to 129) is never called.

If I comment out line 99 I can then fall in the else if on line 127 and get a battery value that seems to be more coherent.

What do you guys think?

0x3C hex = 60 decimal

60 times 0.5 percent reporting value = 30 percent battery level

And just for my personnal improvement, where does that 0.5 factor comes from?

The Zigbee Cluster Users Guide, Battery information attribute set.

Well, I learnt something today! Thanks for the explanation and sorry for the false report.

Hi All, I returned the Symfonisk remotes I had and then decided I would give it one more go with a new one. I did the latest platform update and paired the new remote and so far the battery life looks like it might be ok. I guess I'll need to wait a couple more days to be sure, so time will tell.