Ikea Blinds

I added switch because people demanded it. I personally have it commented out on my own system.

1 Like

Thanks. Is there a reason I would need level, as well?

Level was added so that people could use the built in groups and scenes app to control the blinds as a group.

1 Like

Had an IKEA blind fail yesterday. Battery was reporting 20% so I swapped it with a freshly charged IKEA battery. The shade went up like it usually does after replacing the battery, but it went from full closed to full open (about 5 feet) in a couple seconds. Normally it takes about 10 seconds from full close to full open. The motor made a very different sound also like it was fed a higher voltage. Took that battery out and put it in another blind, and it was fine so it wasn’t the battery.

This blind is about 2 years old and was one of the first I purchased when IKEA started selling them in the store.

Hope this isn’t a trend for the first batch to fail. I have 12 of these, and several have been modified by cutting the tube and housing to fit “like a glove” to satisfy my OCPD.

Hi, I have 9 of these and thus far, one failed after 9 months. I've had them around 2 years. I too have sliced and diced mine. Fingers crossed for a long future, so watch this space!

@stueyhughes

The drive unit is the same no matter the width of the blind. Saw on the net where some guy extended his IKEA blind a lot by using a broomstick. The drive unit easily handled the extra load.

Just checked the firmware version of the new blind I just exchanged today with the firmware version of one of the first blinds I bought about 2 years ago. They are both 117C-1187-22009631 so there has been no firmware update since the blinds were introduced. This information is in the data section of the driver. Interested to know if this is the same firmware everyone else has. Assumed the reason one of my older blinds has to have the limits set when the battery is replaced was because of old firmware.

Visiting the driver again, I see there is also software involved.
The software version for the older blind is 22009631
The software version for the new blind is 2.2.009

Perhaps they changed the format of the version. 22009631 could also be 2.2.009631 which means the software version on the new blind is the same or a few minor revisions newer

All 5 of mine (purchased earlier this year) say

softwareBuild: 2.2.009
model: FYRTUR block-out roller blind
firmwareMT: 117C-1187-22009631

1 Like

Same versions here for my two. Sorry to hear about the failures....

Thanks for the replies. Would have thought there would have been either a software or firmware update in 2 years, especially since several people here have issues with them.

Hi
I am relatively new to Hubitat. I have the code and pasted in the driver code area. What do I do next? I cant seem to find a step by step guide to follow to make a user defined driver code work.

Once the code is there, go to the device and change the type in the driver page to the new driver.

After pasting, “save” and leave the Drivers area.

Now you will be able to select it in the Device page as @thebearmay mentions.

Thank you @thebearmay and @BiGs

2 Likes

I just learned this - I bought two more blinds and they had the same firmware above and thought the same. These blinds I paired with HomeAssistant, using the z2m (zigbee to mqtt) Integration.

When I paired the blinds, it showed that there is an OTA upgrade available. It was a very slow upgrade - took over 2 hours, but both were successful and they are now on 2.3.073.

I'm unsure of what was addressed, but wanted the HE folks to know since it appeared with HE that there are no updates.

2 Likes

@rick.guthier

Thanks for the info. I assumed that an Ikea blind that just came out of the factory would have newer firmware than a 2 year old blind. This firmware must have been introduced recently. Will do some research to see what the upgrade does.

In order for me to update the firmware, I would have to buy the Ikea hub, pair it with each blind, do the update, then pair it back to HE. I have 12 of these.

Quick research shows this might be an update so the blind works better with Homekit.

I have stopped being surprised at how many companies will ship old FW for very long periods of time. Ikea likely relies on the assumption that folks will have an Ikea hub and will get the FW update after or during setup/install, so they don't need to mess w/their existing fulfillment/factory processes.

Found this IKEA firmware changelog.

https://ww8.ikea.com/ikeahomesmart/releasenotes.html

Release Version: 1.16.2

17th May 2021

New features and changes in Accessories:

◉ FYRTUR and KADRILJ roller blinds (V-2.3.073).
◆ Secure OTA upgrade introduced.
◆ The state of blind in the App was not getting updated when the battery of the blind was removed and reinserted again. This has been fixed.
◆ Zigbee commands received by the Blinds during Motor FW initialisation were causing unwanted behaviour. This is now fixed.
◉ TRÅDFRI signal repeater (V-2.3.070).
◆ Secure OTA upgrade introduced.

Might be cheaper but can do this: buy a zigbee usb dongle (I've seen them for $6 - mine was $19), and install a home assistant of your favorite flavor. Plug in the usb, pair the device with z2m, from the z2m screen, choose OTA and hit the update button. I'd assume this would only be worth while if there really was a bug to fix...

I've got four of them now, these are my favorite smart things in the house, even at this cost.

In Home Assistant in the Zigbee OTA section, it showed a new update for the blinds. I updated to 2.3.088 with no problem. I also upgraded the repeaters and up/down button that came with the blinds. The more I'm doing with Home Assistant, the more I dig it, wow it it cooler than ever now.

I just had my first one fail today after 14 months. Battery is fine and the light blinks during a reset by holding both buttons, but no motor activity at all by pressing either the hardware buttons or via Hubitat. It was opening and just stopped midway.

Going to try and claim the 5 year warranty at a store this week. They claim "normal usage" to be raising and lowering once per day and I probably do more than that.