Ikea Blinds

My blinds are working flawlessly now!!! Thank you so much Tom!

Gor anyone dealing with issues I highly recommend you do what I did aboveā€¦

2 Likes

Now you need to buy an Aqara button. :sunglasses:

Is the Aqara button the recommended button for the ikea fyrtur shades?

Did anyone ever figure out how to make the ikea buttons work?

@claytonelliott

AFAIK there is no natively ā€œsupportedā€ button.

The ikea button supplied with the blinds works well as long as you donā€™t add the blinds to a smart hub. I have tried the Lightify 4 button remote also. It sometimes requires multiple presses to get a response. Looking in the log for that button only shows the one press that was actually sent. The Aqara button can be used in the dark. The way I have it set is a tap opens the blinds 65%. A push closes them. A double tap opens then all the way. This can be done in the dark, whereas the Lightify buttons have 4 buttons, one on each corner. Stabbing in the dark usually resulted in the blind doing something other than what I intended.

Update

Replaced the battery in one of my Ikea blinds because it was low on charge. Popped the replacement in, and the blind went to full open like usual. At sunset I have a rule to close all the blinds. This is what I was referring to.

Had to relearn the full closed position. Apparently only a few of my blinds have this issue.

I had one of my three ikea blinds go crazy one day and completely unroll itself. It was pooled up on the floor. I had to do the process to relearn itā€™s stop point and that corrected itā€™s issue. I bought that blind several months after the other two ikea blinds I own due to stock issues. So Iā€™m assuming it is on different firmware. Maybe that is why? It has only happened once since I installed it 9 months ago. Not a huge deal but annoying and slightly concerningā€¦. I have not done anything else to fix it yet

We have two IKEA blinds at work on the windows fading west. Once in a while one of the blinds will completely unroll itself, keep going and roll up backward. That has to be a fault with the limit switch or like you said, firmware.

I installed 1 of 2 of these shades today, and so far, so good. The device code seems to work awesome. I'll keep an eye out for the unrolling deal.

Has anyone gotten the Ikea (shade supplied) wall switch remote to work yet?

@ericthomaswoodall

The two button remote supplied with the shade works great as long as you donā€™t pair the blind with a smart hub. Once the blind is paired, the IKEA 2 button remote will not work.

You arenā€™t locked into using that remote. Check out the Aqara button. It is about the same size as the IKEA remote but has 4 functions.

The buttons have 4 functions : single press, double press, hold, and release.

The Aqura buttons respond immediately and are only about $18.00 US

One button can be programmed for multiple shades.

My buttons are programmed so the shades open to 55% when the Aqara button is pressed. They close all the way when the button is held for more than a second. A double press opens the blinds all the way.

Have had these for a few weeks. They are better than the remote supplied with the blind.

Aqara Wireless Mini Switch, Requires AQARA HUB, Zigbee Connection, Versatile 3-Way Control Button for Smart Home Devices, Compatible with Apple HomeKit, Works with IFTTT Aqara Wireless Mini Switch, Requires AQARA HUB, Zigbee Connection, Versatile 3-Way Control Button for Smart Home Devices, Compatible with Apple HomeKit, Works with IFTTT - - Amazon.com

Contrary to what Aqara states, this does not need the Aqara hub.

1 Like

Nice! Thanks Tom!
My new Ikea blinds worked exactly like I wanted them to last night and this morning. My wife is a very happy camper now, as these block out most of the light.
So cool! I will check out that Aqara button for sure.

@ericthomaswoodall

Eric, the Wife Acceptance Factor (WAF) is very very important in a smart house. My wife has gradually come to the Dark Side and actively uses many of the smart devices and gets upset when something does not respond to her command.

1 Like

Ha! Same! I'm very well versed in WAF, as I'm an audio nut as well.

I agree. The WAF is very important. So for anyone reading this and concerned about Wife Approval Factor I would say this: If you are just starting a smart home or struggling with WAF I recommend starting with smart curtains. It's the one "smart device" that I started with in our new home. My wife instantly loved them and it gave me so much leeway to implement more smart tech... She isn't always fond of my gadgets but the curtains and august locks have made her want to try more things...

1 Like

A smart door lock IS something that will increase the WAF. Not having to go into her purse to find her keys then unlock the door is a big plus.

Back when I was with ST, I subscribed to their emails. One in particular alerted the ST users something was broken AGAIN. I would receive these emails several times per week.

WAF went way down when she ā€œcanā€™t even turn on a d&#@ lightā€ and since it was nothing to do with my network; we just had to wait until ST fixed it, hopefully not breaking something else.

@TomG are you using a rule with the Aqara button to control your Ikea Shades? What device driver are you using? I have the Aqara button and want it to do exactly what you did but not having any luck with it? Thanks

I'm using the Button Controller. button 1 (push once) lower shade. button 1 doubleTapped raise shade, hold button down briefly do something else (turn off lights in my case).

I'm using this driver:
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/markus-li/Hubitat/release/drivers/expanded/zigbee-xiaomi-aqara-opple-button-switch-remote-expanded.groovy

It's working well for me.

Hope this helps.

@leeonestop

My shades are controlled by rules.

I am using the Aqara driver from veeceeoh with excellent results.

I have one Aqara button that works great, however my second one paired okay initially but now is unresponsive. I put a new battery in it but it still remains unreliable.

edit - after re-pairing it seems to work fine! That's a good device driver that veeceeoh created!

Does anyone know why the Fyrtur blinds are exposed to Homekit via MakerAPI as both blinds and a light bulb? It looks like the @ryan780 and @a4refillpad Device Drivers include the following capabilities (give or take Switch):

• Configuration
  • Actuator
  • Refresh
  • Battery
  • WindowShade
  • SwitchLevel
  • Switch
  • HealthCheck

I'd like to exclude an attribute to remove the lightbulb accessory from Homekit, but I can't figure out which one(s). Any ideas?

Edit: I finally figured it out. It's "switch" and "level" - removing those attributes in the MakerAPI config of Homebridge removes the lightbulb accessory.

1 Like