Ikea Blinds

Interesting. This hasn't happened to me, and I've replaced the battery 10 or so times across 3 blinds. I wonder if I have a different firmware in my blinds or something?

EDIT: This is the driver I switched to that the ryan780 driver was originally based on. The author migrated from Smart Things over to Hubitat a little while back, and brought the driver along. [RELEASE] IKEA window roller blinds - #78 by oscopeaaron

:+1:

@craigspree

After replacing the battery with a freshly charged battery, I found the maximum length was not right, so when Hubitat said to close that blind, it went out the full length. One time one of the blinds went out the full length and kept rotating, which caused the blind to roll up in reverse. I automatically reset the length after replacing the battery to avoid that reverse roll again. Perhaps this relearn is not necessary, but I do it as a habit. One of the blinds needs the battery replaced so I won’t do the relearn and see what happens.

This happened to me once, it was when the battery died when the blind was half-rolling up. I put in the new battery, the blind began unrolling then rolled up the other way. I pressed one of the buttons on the blind to stop it, removed and replaced the battery a 2nd time and the blind behaved normally. It was really strange and freaked me out but hasn’t happened again, or on any of my 2 other blinds. I wonder how come it happens so frequently on yours, and if anything can be done to prevent that.

I replace my batteries every 6 weeks and would be super frustrated going through all of what you experience. :frowning:

I wouldn’t say frequently but it has happened twice with one blind and once with another. Having 12 blinds I just replace the battery with a fully charged one when the HE tile shows a low battery.

Having to reset the length each time the battery is removed does not sound good.
That’s caused me to rethink whether I invest in these blinds.

I just had one of these blinds die on me, Ikea was great just called and they are sending a replacement. They said to dispose of the old one. I think maybe its a loose connection or bad solder joint as it would sometimes come back to life for a period of time

@jasonbalsor

I sure could use the white plastic bushing on the opposite end of the drive motor that goes into the tube. One of the shades needed to be cut and the bushing rolled into the expanse that swallows socks and Tupperware lids. Let me know if we can work a deal.

I'll let you know, going to try repairing first

Just swapped the battery in a blind that was reporting 47% battery. After the swap, the blind went full open. When I used the app to close it, the blind went to the predetermined position.

So for the last 6+ months I have needlessly resetting the lower limit because of earlier experiences. :confused:

2 Likes

Battery in one of the shades was at 40% so I swapped it with a fresh recharged battery. Popped it in and the blind went to full closed where it was touching the floor and proceeded to wind itself backward. So, I will continue resetting the lower limit after replacing the battery unless someone has a better idea.

I have one of the Ikea Zigbee repeaters already in the room where I will be installing these. Do I need the repeater that came with it? Ort can I just use it some other place in the house?

No, you do not need to use the repeater in the room with the shades if no repeater is needed there.

Yes, you can use it in another room where you need a repeater.

1 Like

Are you guys having any trouble with statuses being updated? I used the info in this thread and got mine working. They are on a schedule with rule machine and follow the schedule except I have these two issues: 1) occasionally one blind out of three won’t go up or down on schedule 2) the status of the blinds in my dashboard tiles is never 100% accurate

Any thoughts? I am using the modified driver from post 274 of this thread. I was using the original driver from Ryan780 and it wasn’t reliable either.

Any ideas guys? I hate not having these work with 100% reliability…. Should I just get an Ikea Tradfrii device and pair them to it?

Try staggering them by a few seconds in your schedule. I know it doesn't look as cool, but I've found that it helps for situations like that.

3 Likes

I agree with what @cam.soper said. I have 12 of these IKEA blinds. My original rule had all the blinds go up at sunrise and down at sunset. Only a few blinds followed the rule. Sometimes one set would go up and down as scheduled and another time a different set would go up and down as scheduled.

Before I switched to HE my home was ST. A user on the ST forum suggested staggering the times after I posted about my blinds not following the rule. I now have them in groups of two. The opening times are staggered 1 minute apart as are the closing times. This method has been working great for months

As for the repeater, I have one per room. Some repeaters are linked to 4 blinds and the others are linked to 2 or 3. You don’t need a repeater for each blind. As long as the repeater is in the same room the blinds will work fine.

I am using the driver from a4refillpad. Battery status levels are shown on my dashboard and are accurate.

Hi guys, I can add to this too. I have 9 of these blinds, 6 downstairs in a group and 3 upstairs. The downstairs ones work in tandom but sometimes my upstairs ones don't open as expected. Oddly when my upstairs rule runs to open the blinds, sometimes one of the blinds doesn't open but the dashboard shows as opening and then The dashboard shows the blind as fully open. I tried running my rule as a group and also as single blinds with a 1 second delay but to no avail. I tried a tradfri repeater but this too bad no success.

So, as a cheat, I now open my blinds to 99% and then have the rule say, if blinds are @ 99% then open to 100% . So any blind which was showing 99% but in reality was zero%. The rule will run and change too 100%

1 Like

I am aware of two drivers for the IKEA blinds.

a4refillpad wrote a great driver. The other driver is from ryan780. Forgot why I stopped using the ryan780 driver. Battery reporting is accurate with the driver from a4refillpad

Thanks for the advice Tom! I just changed my rules to open/close the blinds individually one minute apart. AND I added the a4refillpad drive found at that top of this page and switched them over to that driver: [RELEASE] IKEA window roller blinds - #13 by dvan

I'll monitor how they work now and do my best to report back here

@claytonelliott

How are your Ikea blinds behaving with the staggered times and new driver?