Ikea Blinds

Sorry, I did not mean to call you a lair. I was just asking how you were able to get that price. I apologize again...

1 Like

Excuse me....whoever flagged the post where I proved I was not in fact, making it up, that's really childish.

You been so angry lately :joy: , but I read a lot from you, now stupid question for you, those Bali, they work on HE?

I was bummed to find out the Ikea blinds only go to 48" wide. My window is 60". These Bali's might be a decent option if they work with he. The only compatible shades in the he list right now are the Lutron Serena. Those run $500-$700 which is just way too much.
However, I did find this about one of the powered Bali options that doesn't look very promising:

Above screenshot was fro the EasyView option. Looks like the more expensive AutoView option would be required for smart home integration..

@vjv

We have 5 of the Bali "AutoView" Cellular Shades (Z-Wave) setup in Hubitat.
At the time of setup the only way to get them to work 100% was to set them up as a Dimmer, which is not a big deal.

Here is the post talking about seeing them up in Hubitat....

Like I said we have the Bali "AutoView" motorized shades, it looks like they have another type of motorized shade called EasyView. Not sure if that is RF or not?

1 Like

With driver ported from ST for Ikea blinds, Google does not even recognize them and Alexa see as a dimmer...
For Bali blinds - "Easy view" only works with IR remote, no z-wave. AutoView - Zwave.

1 Like

I think based on his description and the image his blind is 60" deep not 60" wide...

There's a possibility of larger sizes in the future. In interviews, Björn Block who is the global business leader for IKEA Smart Home has stated that they just want to make sure the product works as expected in these sizes. He hinted in one interview with Stacey Higgenbothem that larger sizes were more challenging. Probably due to battery life if I were to guess at the reason.

So yes, I too which I could get a larger size for my 70" wide bedroom window, but there is no other affordable choice for me but to wait and see. I completely understand the careful approach they are taking.

1 Like

@Angus_M

It doesn't matter what size you enter (38x62 or 60x40), it will default to same window "shape" in the back ground and put your design on top of it.

I just created one, 96" by 90" and it still shows the same window shape as everyone else's.

Yeah, that's weird. I guess it's just a standard representation. Nevertheless, his post contained the following...

So summing up, is there a way to pair these Ikea blinds to Hubitat? is TRÅDFRI gateway required?

Post 35 has a method for pairing, and post 44 has the driver. Gateway not useful or required.

1 Like

For those looking at these blinds and FYI.. I came across this Video on YouTube the other day.. it's not the best BUT it does show how these can be resized slightly to improve fitment.

Glad someone else experimented first :wink: Frankly if it were me, I would have also taken some of the 'dead' space of the other side of the roller while I was at it so they are balanced/centered but also to cut down that gapping on the edge... I don't see any good reason why Ikea left an inch of bare roller on either side.

2 Likes

I stopped at my local Ikea today even though only 2 sizes are listed online.

They had EVERY size available. The prices were exactly as listed above.

I picked up 3 of the 48” blinds and hopefully will have time to install them tomorrow. It looked like they had at least a handful of every size in stock.

1 Like

Their website has always been so unreliable when it comes to stock with my kinda-local store (45 mins away). Thanks for your post, it gives me hope and I think I’ll take a drive over there in the morning to see if I can snag a set (or three)

Same at the IKEA in West Chester Ohio, was there today.

1 Like

I got 3 blinds all mounted and set up due to the great info in this thread.

In the package:
1 shade
2 mounting brackets
1 battery pack
1 USB A > Micro USB cable
1 Tradfri repeater - Zigbee
1 Remote Button - Zigbee

There are no screws in the package for the mounting brackets. You need 4 screws for each set of shades as there are 2 brackets each.

Step 1 - charge the battery pack. It’s 2,600 MAh and reports I’ve read state it should ‘last several months on a charge’.

Step 2 - Pair the Tradfri repeater in an outlet relatively close to the shade. To pair: Plug in the repeater into the USB plug and then into your outlet. The light will come on steady. To get it in pairing mode, with the repeater plugged in, use a safety-pin/sewing needle and insert it into the small hole next to the USB socket, you will feel the reset button and hold that down with the pin for 10-15 seconds. Remove the pin/needle and the white LED should start to blink. Then set your Hub to Zigbee discovery.

Step 3 - Mount/install the shade hardware - pretty basic and quick

Step 4 - Insert the battery pack into the blinds. There are two small buttons to the left of the battery door that manually operate the shade up and down.

Step 5 - Install the User Driver from @Ryan780 (thank you @Ryan780 ! ) which can be copied from this post (updated to version with battery reporting): Ikea Blinds - #120 by Ryan780

Step 6 - Pair the shade by following @Kev ‘s post quoted here. Remember to use the driver from step 5. After the LED on the blind turns on, set your Hub to Zigbee Pairing mode.

Step 7 - Set the Max Open and close states for the shade. Get the shade where you want it to be ‘most Open’ either via the manual buttons next to the battery or by using Hubitat device page/dashboard. Then double-tap the down button on the shade to the left of the battery pack. The shade will move up and down 1 CM if it was set properly. This now is equal to ‘100’ open for the shade.

So far I’m really pleased and these have boosted the WAF in our home!

11 Likes

It’s all about that Wife Acceptance Factor! lol

I’ve got the three measurements I need, heading to my local location in the morning. Looks like I’ll need to hack off an inch from each one (46.75” is my office window, bedroom windows are 22.75”)

3 Likes

@morningz

2 Likes