Hubitat Z-Wave Plus Certification ID

I love the little hub and the Zigbee support that it has. Home Assistant isn't that hard! :slight_smile:

That's the thing with "gateways" is they have a device categorization themselves with their own certification which is based around the software implementation not the Radio. The Radio/Chips only comes from 2 possible vendors today. So there's nothing there to certify. It's all about the software implementation and really mostly about the base features because each system can "expand" and add their own extras which we see all the time from Fibaro and other vendors especially like the new dimmers with their scene controllers and LED light controls etc. Those features are "extra" and not covered under certification but the basic on/off/dim/brighten those better work! Which is why I picked on a lock the basics lock/unlock/status should work. Period and if not then there's a problem. The whole user codes and stuff I think codes were added to ZWP.. I'd have to check but otherwise some of the other things are extras...

Ring is a "special" kind of "special" and Amazon does things their "special" way :slight_smile:
I'm really not surprised that it's having issues even with itself. The S2 stuff last I heard still was not "final" and completely worked out which is giving vendors a lot of grief about implementing it. Some device vendors implemented it fast and marketed it but it's only half-implemented so...??? what good is that? I still remember the colorful discussion with HomeSeer developers all around S2... :slight_smile:

Back to Ring... still not too surprised as left hand and right hand probably never discussed things like inclusion and certainly not proper exclusion... who would exclude the device after it's installed??? I mean really! :slight_smile:

Here's a similar one... how about a HomeSeer controller that doesn't work correctly with a HomeSeer Dimmer???? I've had that happen to me. It's a funny thing the "brand" doesn't indicate who actually MADE the device nor what firmware (software) the device has and whether or not the controller software can speak to the device firmware correctly to use extra features.

1 Like

A standard that doesn’t evolve is a dying standard.. Z-wave handled this well with the class versioning.. So when new / better ways come around it can be implemented without breaking the older stuff..

Zigbee seemed to take a different approach by trying to be everything and think of everything that could be.. Which makes it hard to read the standard.. And feels bloated to me..

You could basically totally write a driver based on the z-wave alliance listing.. Obviously need the device for testing.. But the listings are that detailed (for most devices)

2 Likes

I know this is a way earlier post.. But I would love to take a stab at trying to fix some of these misbehaving devices.. I’d bet there are many things that could be fixed from a software side .. And a little time with the device and a sniffer, I feel I could come up with a solution to most..

Now.. that being said... I’m not willing to spend my money to fix the issues .. Just my time..

I'm almost positive you could. All it would take is some time and a sniffer to see what is actually going on. Problem is most users don't have either the time nor the sniffer to do this and or the knowledge to do it as well.

I'm certain this is a software issue that could be resolved. Yet it's also not a high priority item to bother with when there's a Zigbee alternative which has been the goto direction which (yeah it bugs me) isn't a proper solution but a work around.

We're basically talking about the industry as a whole. :upside_down_face: There are established specifications, but is any of this technology finished? Certification or not, there are still major compliance and compatibility issues industry wide that are not fully baked or the firmware is just sloppy because once it passes the requirements, it's certified. I don't know if it matters what the device or controller it is. I'm sure you agree, Hubitat's doing a damn good job here, considering what the competition can do, and how long they've been in business. :+1:

I've only ever owned one Z-Wave lock, and it paired instantly and repeatedly, as I was using it originally to learn more about Z-Wave Plus pairing and simulating failures to see how it reacted and how to recover. Never paired a lock to SmartThings or Wink, so I have no idea about how easy it was there, or was not. It just works for me. Yet some people have problems with this exact same lock, same hub, same version of the hub platform. :man_shrugging:

No idea if Ring (Amazon) got special treatment. The product seems good overall. This is the first major problem I've had pairing. I have been experimenting with their devices and HE, so I've been removing and joining frequently latley. Maybe I screwed up the database. The motion sensor is definatley a bit flakey joining.

Their hub is actually fairly impressive, and I hope they improve its capabilities. Apparenetly, Zigbee is in there too. I would continue to use HE for Z-Wave and Zigbee, but it would be nice add-on home automation for the normals. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Aren't you working on some super secret HE project :slight_smile: have them fund the sniffer or devices if you have a sniffer (probably do) or setup some development exchange program where users can send you the problem device and pay a small fee for driver development.

1 Like

I wonder if I started a program.. Send me your misbehaving devices for a week.. I’ll send them back with a fix (if possible)...

I wonder if people would be interested.. It would be fun for me... I love programming z-wave

I have the sniffer.. And my project was for RGBGenie and writing z-wave drivers for all their devices...

1 Like

I skipped the top part of your comment because I do agree. I actually sent an email to the Alliance contact to get more info around the "requirements" for device and gateway certification. :slight_smile:

HE has done an amazing job in a very short amount of time.

I dunno either. I don't own/use any locks myself but I've installed many and integrated with plugins and never had such problems. I will say I've never tried any lock of any kind with HE so I dunno.... I'm going to guess that I wouldn't have any problem at all though.

Hmmm... maybe but the "special" I was indicating was that Ring/Amazon are the special cases... as in short bus special?

2 Likes

I would actually love to get my hands on some of these locks people are having issues with..

1 Like

Cool.... I contacted them a couple weeks ago about a project I was working I wanted to use the RGBgenie and it would work great but the location was a 2 gang with a lutron dimmer next to it.

totally off topic :slight_smile: what categories right? :slight_smile: I wonder... I'll have to look again but do they have a unit that will work in a 2 gang setup?

1 Like

You know.. I was going to be testing a few theories on that soon.. at first glance I would say no.. But I will be testing few things here shortly... I have a few of their panels.. I’ll let you know what I come up with

If you are interested:

Yeah keep me posted please. Ok I'm going to sleep early meetings tomorrow.

1 Like

Oh, that's publicly searchable here. The fees are just for getting the kit and certification.

Oh no, definitely not. Those are the people from Zonoff. They for sure know their stuff.

3 Likes

Thanks I didn't think to look there and it's actually been updated this year.

[EDIT] I checked that again. that's the public spec for device types and CC information. I want the details around gateway certification and requirements. I can't find that from silabs. Getting the dev kit and SDK today is much cheaper than in the past but I don't know what the certification fee is today as I know that was pending the latest updates and could possible increase.

I was partially kidding but in reality Amazon/Ring like to purposefully cripple outside integration.

1 Like

I have one if you want to borrow it. It has v5 firmware and first lock I bought when I started the HA addiction in 2014/15. I could never get it to pair with HE and replaced it with a Zigbee Schlage. A friend of mine may want it after their reno later this year to use as a keypad lock, they don’t have HA. So you are welcome to it for several months. PM me if interested.

2 Likes

Me preferring zigbee for my home doesn't constitute lots...

Problems with locks has absolutely nothing to to with certification of lack thereof.

The mere fact that bad lock firmware exists on certified devices if proof of that...

5 Likes

How do locks firmware only become bad on Hubitat when the locks with the same firmware work as designed on other platforms? That would be an acceptable explanation if the company who manufactured the lock claims the firmware is bad and issues recalls for devices that cannot be updated.

1 Like

This has been discussed ad barfum many times by many others with much more expierence with specific firmware versions on multiple platforms.

My point was that certification of anything is in no way a guarantee that a given device will operate properly in a production network.

Anyone that has written a reasonable number of drivers for devices already knows this.

6 Likes