Hubitat Z-Wave Plus Certification ID

I have the sniffer.. And my project was for RGBGenie and writing z-wave drivers for all their devices...

1 Like

I skipped the top part of your comment because I do agree. I actually sent an email to the Alliance contact to get more info around the "requirements" for device and gateway certification. :slight_smile:

HE has done an amazing job in a very short amount of time.

I dunno either. I don't own/use any locks myself but I've installed many and integrated with plugins and never had such problems. I will say I've never tried any lock of any kind with HE so I dunno.... I'm going to guess that I wouldn't have any problem at all though.

Hmmm... maybe but the "special" I was indicating was that Ring/Amazon are the special cases... as in short bus special?

2 Likes

I would actually love to get my hands on some of these locks people are having issues with..

1 Like

Cool.... I contacted them a couple weeks ago about a project I was working I wanted to use the RGBgenie and it would work great but the location was a 2 gang with a lutron dimmer next to it.

totally off topic :slight_smile: what categories right? :slight_smile: I wonder... I'll have to look again but do they have a unit that will work in a 2 gang setup?

1 Like

You know.. I was going to be testing a few theories on that soon.. at first glance I would say no.. But I will be testing few things here shortly... I have a few of their panels.. I’ll let you know what I come up with

If you are interested:

Yeah keep me posted please. Ok I'm going to sleep early meetings tomorrow.

1 Like

Oh, that's publicly searchable here. The fees are just for getting the kit and certification.

Oh no, definitely not. Those are the people from Zonoff. They for sure know their stuff.

3 Likes

Thanks I didn't think to look there and it's actually been updated this year.

[EDIT] I checked that again. that's the public spec for device types and CC information. I want the details around gateway certification and requirements. I can't find that from silabs. Getting the dev kit and SDK today is much cheaper than in the past but I don't know what the certification fee is today as I know that was pending the latest updates and could possible increase.

I was partially kidding but in reality Amazon/Ring like to purposefully cripple outside integration.

1 Like

I have one if you want to borrow it. It has v5 firmware and first lock I bought when I started the HA addiction in 2014/15. I could never get it to pair with HE and replaced it with a Zigbee Schlage. A friend of mine may want it after their reno later this year to use as a keypad lock, they don’t have HA. So you are welcome to it for several months. PM me if interested.

2 Likes

Me preferring zigbee for my home doesn't constitute lots...

Problems with locks has absolutely nothing to to with certification of lack thereof.

The mere fact that bad lock firmware exists on certified devices if proof of that...

5 Likes

How do locks firmware only become bad on Hubitat when the locks with the same firmware work as designed on other platforms? That would be an acceptable explanation if the company who manufactured the lock claims the firmware is bad and issues recalls for devices that cannot be updated.

1 Like

This has been discussed ad barfum many times by many others with much more expierence with specific firmware versions on multiple platforms.

My point was that certification of anything is in no way a guarantee that a given device will operate properly in a production network.

Anyone that has written a reasonable number of drivers for devices already knows this.

6 Likes

That's actually exactly what that means. Being Certified means that it passed the qualifications "originally" similar to A steak you buy at the grocery store being "FDA certified"

Now if you take that steak home and leave it on the counter for a few days, then try to cook it and get food poising then you can narrow down the cause of the food poisoning because you didn't maintain safe food temperature, instead without being certified that cause "could be" the butcher who processed the steak.

Without Hubitat being certified no one is assured "originally" that the hub has ever properly implemented the zwave specifications from even it's inception.

Whut? Steak?

Sorry. You're not correct here. Find in the certification that it states all certified controllers, routers and end devices must function perfectly with every Z-Wave device in existence. Or even find where is states that even every Z-Wave Certified device must work perfectly together.

Post that here when you find it please.

5 Likes

@jeubanks I read through the first 30 posts or so then things seemed to get derailed so I skipped to the end. But I feel you may be on to something. I can't count how many times I've seen posts, most specifically about Schlage locks, where people are migrating from other platforms that they've been using for years (ST, Wink, etc..) and suddenly are having issues with the lock. Only to be told it's the lock itself, bad firmware, etc.. and switch to a Zigbee lock. I've never bought into this. If the firmware was terrible, why'd that exact same lock work on another platform for 2 years? The only thing different would be the Hub.

For someone like me, with 5 locks, a large house and no other Zigbee devices switching to Zigbee is just not a viable solution. For that reason I kept my Schlage locks on ST where they work perfectly and use HubConnect to bring them into HE. It's no ideal, but it works.

I've long said my suspicion is that it's something in the HE z-wave radio. I've done some very rudimentary testing where I put a couple ST hubs and an HE hub in the corner of the basement and attempted to include a device on the opposite side of the house. Both ST hubs could do it no problem, the HE hub's signal was too weak to reach.

It's possible it's not the weaker radio signal at all, but more so something (even something minor) may be lacking in the z-wave implementation. It would explain why these devices work flawlessly long term on other platforms and not on HE.

This also leaves me scratching my head wondering why they wouldn't take that step to get it certified as a controller? While all the competition is doing it, this could actually put them behind the rest from a marketing standpoint.

3 Likes

That's not what was claimed. What was claimed is the DID work perfectly to get the certification. Nothing is claimed that it isn't changed after the certification.

no, that is not what it means. It means it was tested in a specific way under certain conditions. That does not guarantee interoperability with all controllers, nor in all installed locations and situations.

Certification is reassuring in that it can pass the standardized tests though. I certainly prefer devices to be certified versus not certified. I don't think it's worthless, it just isn't a guarantee.

7 Likes

That is exactly what I stated

Yes, but you said that in response to Mike saying certification doesn't guarantee operation in production. And he is correct about that .

2 Likes