Hubitat IP address change causing Konnected app to disconnect

For some reason, my Hubitat hub switches IP addresses every so often. Basically back and forth between two IP addresses. I have T Mobile home internet 5G that utilizes a Nokia fastmile dummed down router modem router that's options are locked down. There is no way to create a static ip address and the Hubitat static IP option in Settings has caused issues where I had to reinstall a backup.

My issue is when Hubitat changes IP address the connection to Konnected is severed and my Hubitat safety monitor with my Honeywell Ademco alarm connected doesn't notice a door or window has opened. I have to go into the Hubitat app section, go to the Konnected app, scroll to the bottom, choose next, scroll down the next page to DONE, and then the Hubitat/KONNECTED link is re-established and the alarm works

Can this be automated so when Hubitats IP has changed the process to go through the Konnected app and click DONE is performed automatically so my alarm will continue to function OR can I be informed by Pushover that Hubitat's IP was changed? If this occurs when I'm not home, my alarm is rendered useless

Appreciate any suggestions. Tony

I may be completely off base here (and I often am) but I think you can use the community hub information driver to check your current IP address. Maybe create a rule that saves the current IP address in a variable and then if it changes, send you a message.

Much appreciate your quick response! I'll take ANY suggestions lolol. I had no issues when I had a TP Link router and was able to create a static IP address for Hubitat, but since moving to T-Mobile 5G and their terrible locked down router I've had this issue of IP changes every few weeks. As stated, I tried in Hubitat settings, the Static IP address option, made sure there were no conflicting IP addresses and whether it was a coincidence or not, on two occasions, my Hubitat hub blew an error 500 and I had to reinstall one of my backups to get it working again. Since removing that setting in Hubitat, this error has not reoccurred.

Wonder if HUB VARIABLES in advanced settings could be utilized to inform me of IP address change.

I'm up there in age too and any easy solution is worth a look at. Much thanks. Tony

Ditch t-mobile?

Just wrote this today, but if you want to use it:

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/thebearmay/hubitat/main/apps/hubMonitor.groovy

Small app to monitor and generate notifications based on hub temperature, dbsize, free memory and IP changes. Requires a Hub Information Device (link is a up a few posts).

1 Like

Now that looks exactly what I can use. I'm an old-timer so If you can bear with me - I would install the previous Hub information driver noted above in Hubitat. I then would install YOUR app above and that would allow me to generate a notification if my IP address changes on the Hubitat hub?

Again I apologize for asking such a simplest question in many members' minds. Tony

I can certainly Bear with you. :rofl: Correct, install the Hub Information Driver and enable polling, then install the app, point it at the driver, select a notification device, and tell it to enable IP change tracking.

3 Likes

LOLOLO OK installed both Hub info driver and your app, but how do I enable polling with the Hub info driver which I installed under the new driver section

It's down in the preferences' section (just noticed that you also need one of the attributes selected to poll):

Wait is that Hub information driver to be installed as a driver or app. I installed it under a driver in Hubitat

It's a driver to create a Hub Information Device.

OK, so I have installed the Hub information driver under the driver area of Hubitat and installed your app in apps of Hubitat, but what am I opening up to find the preference section to check off the preferences you described and must Hubitat be reboot first

Go the Devices tab and select Add Device, then Virtual (prior to 2.2.9 both of the prior steps were accomplished by clicking Add Virtual Device), give the device a name and then under Type scroll down to find Hub Information (it will be down near the bottom under the User section). No need to restart the hub.

Well, you CERTAINLY did 'BEAR" with me lolol. I did exactly what you said, found the Device I created and found preferences. Now last question - the preference section you post has 5 preferences chosen. Do I need those or just check off "Enable Querying the cloud to obtain your Public IP Address?"

Any one of Enable ...Polling/Querying should work. The Hub Monitor app will use Temperature, DB Size and Free Memory in addition to the IP Address if they are selected though.

OK, I selected all that showed in your FIRST picture post and checked "Enable Querying the cloud to obtain your Public IP Address?" In your hub alerts I saw my device I created and chose 'Alert on IP change"

I can't thank you enough for holding this old guys hands and getting me through this. Your app should at least warn me of a Hubitat's IP change and then I can force Konnected to reconnect.

AGAIN MANY THANKS! I keep saying it, but this is a FANTASTIC community.
Stay well
Tony

1 Like

Glad to help. You may want to pull down a new copy of the Monitor code - just noticed that it is possible to get a false positive if the Hub Information device has never polled temperature, free memory or dbSize. v0.1.1 fixes that.

Edit: Did you select a Notication Device on the Alerts Page?

Yes, I chose Pushover and just updated your code to V01.1 (one of the few things I can do on my own lolo)
Once again thank you for all your help

Most of us started out where you are now, hang around and we'll get you to expert level in no time.

1 Like

All you great Hubitat community members can only hope lololo - at 71, I may be running out of time lolo but with people like you, its helping to keep the old memory from stagnating. I love working with Hubitat, making rules etc and the help that I've received only proves this is the best community around.

4 Likes