Hubitat in Europe (Germany) with Eurotronics Radiator Thermostats

Tried generic zigbee thermostat and zen thermostat. The device is zigbee version

Sorrry, don't know anout the zigbee versions, mine are z-wave plus model. But as a suggestion, try again Configure and Refresh buttons from the device page... The driver should report back some capabilities, needed for the dashboard to control the thermostat...

as example:

thank you for sharing, the more I look at these solutions the more they seem just hacks for programmers that want to waste a lot of time fixing them.
We are far far away from a working solution that doesn't require hacking, this is a shame.

2 Likes

I removed and reset this thermostat. Rediscovered - changed driver to zen thermostat, changed mode to heat, played with configure button and finally all options available

Thanks for advice :wink:

1 Like

My rule function the trvs

1 Like

which is why I gave up, and went with something that will always work.

Its a good idea, I'm running a combi boiler and don't have a storage tank. If I used that system it would flood the boiler with cold and cause it to cycle.
I find the trv works well, just had to find the sweet temp where the room feels nice, taking into consideration the sensors proximity to the hot radiator.

I read your solution but it does involve a good deal of hacking / installation too. I mean I could do all of this but considering the amount of time I would be wasting on this I am better off working and getting paid and afford for something like netatmo, it's abuot 8x more expensive but it just works out of the box with no hacking

1 Like

I installed one eurotronic spirit zigbee just to see how it would do and when the radiator starts it registers an internal temp of up to 26 celsius when the room is still 20c
this is absolutely not workable

So when you want 20 in the room set it to 26, the driver i use let's you put in a off set to adjust or calibrate it

What is the name if this app for setting rules? Is it availabke oob ?

This is the driver

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Mark-C-uk/Hubitat/master/Eurotronic Spirit TRV

Fair enough, I never made the choice to choose between working or doing this - it's been a spotty spare time thing. Which yes, only works well if you're using a combi boiler.

I dispute the 'hacks' comment. The initial reasoning for 'discovering' this system was due to my need to ESCAPE the hacks - my initial attempt at smart heating used the Drayton Smart TRV's, 'hacked' to work with smartthings. This gave no end of trouble, and the cost was astronomical compared to my current suggested system (and those TRVs are cheaper than most, too). Long story short, the smartthings drivers only worked with TRVs of a certain firmware (and below). Which meant eventual replacement/expansion of said system would result in the need to find an alternative anyway. I tried to have the drivers ported to hubitat, and this failed, plus would have been subject to the same restrictions. I didn't want to end up in the same position as before, effectively allowing a manufacturer to stop my system from working after a 'bad' firmware update or if, for example, I changed smart system and was unable to acquire drivers.

So, 'my' way (and I use that term loosely) allows replacement and expansion for an indefinite length of time with off-the-shelf inexpensive products (nodemcu's, 3v relays, thermal actuators) which are all (largely) completely independent of the need for support from the host platform.

To summarize - YMMV, but with a combo boiler, I'd be hard pressed to find any reasons, at all (excluding initial install effort) to ever, ever use a smart trv. But as always, each to their own. The knowledge and info is out there and we pick and choose our own paths.

So although I'm not wanting to force anything down anyone's throat, I just wanted to be clear for the purposes of this discussion and future searches by others who may want to do the same.

=)

/ runs away

Here here, I had wiser and now with Hive and got a Aeotec TRV coming today to see how this performs. If this fails then I'm going back to a manual setup!

Thank you for the driver Mark I will check it out
edit: I just realized it's for the z-wave version, I only use the zigbee one.
Thanks anyway

Hi, thank you for your answer.
I was a bit brief in my comment and I agree with what you describe, it's actually a good solution, nonetheless one that requires a good amount of work, especially if you have a system with well integrated radiators like my house (and there are 35 of them!)
I would need a plumber to install a valve, and then do the wiring, so yeah it's not quite the plug and play solution like eTRVs (and who knows if there is a decent solution using them that is truly plug and play)

Hi mate,

Thanks for the reply.

Just wanted to clarify that the smart trv's (my old draytons) were added by simply unscrewing the existing old dumb TRVs by hand, and then you (again, by hand) add the drayton wiser trvs. No plumbing nor tools required.

I fully expected to need to get a plumber out to add some kind of alternative connections on the rads. To clarify, the thermal actuators (amazingly!) just screw on in the exact tool-less way as the draytons (and probably the others) do too.

35 radiators? Christ. Are you Batman ? =p

Hi,
Did any one have similar issues with zigbee eurotronic thermostat ? It works without issues for 5-10 hours and next loosing connection to HE :frowning: I need to shutdown this thermostat and it connects again for few hours. My HE is on the ground and thermostat on the first floor. On the floor I have one repeater. I have there also two motion sensors and temperature sensor - they all work ok all time.

Thank you for any help :slight_smile:

Edited: Loos like on the 1st floor repeater also dropping connection but still Motion sensors are working

Doesn't sound like you have anywhere near enough repeaters in your mesh.

Yes. I need to put something in between. In the mean time I moved HE to 1st floor and looks like this fixed all problems for now.

Thank you!