Hubitat™ IFTTT Documentation

Connecting to the Hubitat IFTTT Service

Before you can begin using Hubitat with IFTTT you have to connect to the Hubitat service and specify which devices IFTTT is allowed to access.

1. Open the IFTTT mobile app or go to https://ifttt.com. If you already have an IFTTT account you should sign in, otherwise sign up.

1. Click Search, type in hubitat, and then select the Hubitat service once it appears.

1. Click the Connect button.

1. Log in using your Hubitat username and password

1. Select your hub and then click the Select button.

1. Select all the devices that you'd like to be able to use with IFTTT and then click the Authorize button.
    Only authorized devices will appear in the IFTTT action/trigger device lists. You can change your selection at any time through the IFTTT Integration app in Hubitat.

Hubitat's Applets

Hubitat has created applets that work with the following services:

• Arlo
  • Blink
  • Button Widget
  • Email
  • Flic
  • Nest Cam
  • Phone Calls
  • Ring Doorbell
  • Scout Alarm
  • Wireless Tags

Go to http://ifttt.com/hubitat to see the full list of applets published by Hubitat.

Installing an applet that's using the Email Service

1. Click the applet to see its details and then click "Turn on".

1. Connect to the email service by clicking "OK".

email-applet-authorize

1. Enter your Email Address and click "Send PIN".

1. Enter the PIN that IFTTT sent to the specified email address and then click "Connect".

1. This applet is using a temperature threshold as the trigger so you need to select the Hubitat device that will be reporting the temperature and the temperature to use as the threshold, then Click "Save"

The temperature entered for the threshold needs to use the same unit as the "Temp Scale" field in Hubitat's Location settings.

1. After clicking Save, the Applet should be shown as "On" and if you need to make changes you can click the cog in the top right corner to open the settings.

The bottom of the applet shows how long it usually takes for the Applet to perform the action. The Hubitat applets that are using other services, like Ring, as the trigger, may take a few minutes to execute.

Installing an applet that's using the Button Widget Service

This applet needs to be installed using the IFTTT mobile app. This example uses an Android device, but the process should be simular for iOS.

1. Click the applet to see its details and then click "Turn on".

1. Select the device you'd like to control and click the Checkmark in the top right corner to continue.

1. Tap and hold any blank area on the home screen and when the menu pops up tap Widgets.

1. Tap the IFTTT widget

1. Tap and hold one of the widgets and then position it on your desktop.

1. Choose the button widget applet you just created.

1. That should place a shortcut on your home screen that performs the applet's action when tapped.

Custom Applets

Every service provides triggers and/or actions that can be used with all the other services.

Hubitat's Triggers:

• Device closes
  • Device opens
  • Device turns off
  • Device turns on
  • Mode changes
  • Motion is detected
  • Motion is no longer detected
  • Presence is detected
  • Presence is no longer detected
  • Temperature drops below
  • Temperature rises above
  • Water is detected
  • Water is no longer detected

Hubitat's Actions:

• Change mode
  • Close a device
  • Dim a device
  • Lock a device
  • Open a device
  • Turn off a device
  • Turn on a device
  • Unlock a device
7 Likes

Are there any plans to expose button controls? I would like an IFTTT event to press a virtual button on Hubitat

i.e.:
If Arlo Camera Detects Motion Then Push Hubitat Virtual Button Foo (which is used by Rule Machine to trigger things)

I tried a switch, but there is no good way to have it 'turn off' when motion stops... I think a button would work as I think I can treat as a momentary button

If i am over-engineering this, and there's a better way let me know as I need something (anything) to control lights from Arlo and Ring Camera Motion until such a time as Hubitat supports them directly :frowning:

You can use a virtual momentary switch. Someone posted the code recently. All it is is a virtual switch that turns off on its own. So it's always available to be be turned on. RM can trigger of it being turned on, and ignore being turned off. So IFTTT turns on that switch from motion, RM catches that, and does whatever. Am I missing something?

Thats what I couldnt find ... assuming you mean

I think it will work - testing tonight to see if it turns on the lights when the cameras detect motion

Look at the ST Github repo for Momentary Button Tile. I think that's the one that works.

You'll be able to tell if in the code for ON it sends first and On event and then an Off event.

1 Like

Oh... well it looks like Cobra's also should work

dev:2962018-05-12 18:16:50.844:debugSwitch Off Timer Version 1.0 - OFF
dev:2962018-05-12 18:16:40.831:debugTurning off in 10 seconds
dev:2962018-05-12 18:16:40.829:debugSwitch Off Timer Version 1.0 - ON

I can set it to zero for a true momentary switch as well

Thanks either way :slight_smile:

1 Like

He may have meant this.

I tried the momentary switch that worked with ST but it was inconsistent...probably because the on/off happened so quickly with local processing. At the advice of @ogiewon I added a 1 second delay and it's worked perfectly for me since.

4 Likes

How would you have Rule Manager initiate a remote IFTTT? I leverage IFTTT integration with ST to initiate our Roomba based on WebCORE rules. Again attempting to reduce my reliance on ST based integrations (at least until WebCORE officially supports Hubitat with ST). Suggestions?

I have rule machine turn on a virtual switch. Then program ifttt to start my roomba when that switch is turned on.

I also set that switch to automatically turn itself back off after a few seconds.

So how did you get IFTTT to work? I keep getting an error trying to connect hubitat and IFTTT together.

Ok so IFTTT finally connected. I created a simple virtual device to turn on and the ifttt would start our Roomba. Nothing is working. Attached are the errors in the logs.

How do I set the trigger if door unlocks?

1 Like

I just submitted an IFTTT request for Hubitat to add unlock and lock triggers for locks.

1 Like

I created a Hubitat virtual switch that turns on when the lock is unlocked. The virtual switch will show up in IFTTT and you can use that as the trigger

1 Like

That's the simple way to do it.

IS there any plan to allow the "add ingredient" to control the dim level of a dimmer? That way you can use google home to directly control and set the level of a dimmer. Right now you can only use this on the rate.

It would also be great if we could directly control a thermostat with IFTTT and use the same "add ingredient" to control the temperature.

Guys/Gals, how can I control an IFTTT SmartLife Applet from a Hubitat Virtual Switch? Is it possible right now?

If you have both services connected to IFTTT, have you tried creating an applet?

IF [hubitat virtual switch turns on] THEN [turn on smartlife device]

Or something like that.

2 Likes

I have tried that already but I couldn't find an applet that allows me to read a Hubitat Virtual Switch state.