Hubitat got a favorable mention in a story about LIFX

"But we really don’t know what will happen to LIFX. So, I suggest that you start learning about local smart home solutions. Services like Home Assistant and Hubitat ensure that your smart home devices can operate on a local network without connecting to their manufacturers’ servers—something that’s necessary if a smart home manufacturer goes out of business."

7 Likes

Anybody know how LIFX dying would impact Hubitat integration?

HE has said no impact. Integration is completely local.

2 Likes

The trick is: can we even set the initial WiFi without the app working?

I've been having problems with a LIFX device that won't finish setup through the app. They are supposedly sending me a warranty replacement.

There's a bunch of weird stuff with their integration. :hushed:

Yes, if you have an iPhone.

Android?

What’s that? :smile:

4 Likes

Green text bubble :wink:

3 Likes

The most popular smart phone in the world...

:wink:

7 Likes

Yes, compared to my old Nokia 3310, I'm sure an Android phone is very smart indeed :crazy_face:

2 Likes

You're not coming through clearly, you're breaking up ...

Wait, I know, you must be holding it wrong!

:rofl::wink:

6 Likes

That was what 11 or 12 years ago? Do you still have to rely on the cell carrier to provide Android updates? I remember when my wife had a Note and quit getting updates after a year. And there was the need to pull the battery to restart it because the OS was so buggy it would randomly lock up. I may have been ever so slightly condescending when her phone just stopped receiving calls for several days for no apparent reason, but she upgraded to an iPhone shortly after and we haven’t had an Android device since. Now it would just be painful to switch since everything we use is so tightly integrated into the iOS universe (outside of our PCs, which I’ve always built myself).

I had a HPC One X Plus that I loved. Due to lack of firmware updates from ATT the phone became unusable.... I moved back to iphone after that. Despite the expense, iphones just work.... I am by no means a apple fanboi though...

2 Likes

Not at all.

I get updates to my Pixel as soon as Google puts them out every month.

And I'm much more in control of my phone than with crApple stuff that keeps you bound to them and their closed eco system.

Google branded phones are good for that. Most other androids you have to get the updates through the carriers.

1 Like

That’s really my whole problem with Android these days. I trust Google less than anyone else.

Me neither, despite the fact that the six of us all have iPhones and I have an Apple Watch, iPad, Apple TV, and several HomePod minis. I know it looks like I’m pretty guilty, but I can say I’ve never owned anything containing the word Mac (besides briefly owning a Big Mac).

2 Likes

4 Likes

Ahh...used to build my own back in the day when I was running Cyanogenmod on the original Motorola Droids. :slight_smile:

I have been on Samsung for years, purchase directly from Samsung, use on Verizon. My S21 is confirmed for five years of major FW updates. That's more than enough for me, I've never owned a phone more than 3 years, the upgrade itch is too strong. Updates do come through Verizon, but I haven't felt limited or like I had to wait a long time, and I've been able to participate in Samsung beta releases, etc. Most importantly I get monthly security updates which is all I really care about. Frankly, I'm way past the time when I would wait, with bated breath, for phone FW updates, I just have more going on in my life than that. :slight_smile:

Now HE FW updates, that's a different story - I DO wait for those w/bated breath! :wink:

I also have an iPad (which no longer gets updates) and an iPhone (still getting updates) but personally just never took to the iOS UI, not for me...

But still the greatest moment in iPhone history (and Jobs' ego) for some of us... :wink:

3 Likes

Same we have ipads in the house, but I equate them with "just working" Never have been a fan of macs. I do mostly linux and windows administration. I'm not saying they're bad machines what so ever, but for my own use cases they're not appropriate.

2 Likes

Since integration is local, it wouldn't impact anything. But if LIFX dies, then you will not be able to replace failed bulbs without changing vendors and technologies.