Hubitat got a favorable mention in a story about LIFX

:joy::joy::joy:

2 Likes

Are you sure about that? According to Samsung, the commitment is for four years of security updates, which is vastly different than major firmware updates. And they will support 3 generations of phones for Android OS. This implies, but doesn't outright declare, that they will offer OS updates for 3 years, and they will offer security related updated to their own software (not android) that they added to the OS for up to 4 year.

Samsung the corporation is a very deceptive company. One needs to be careful when reading their claims -- read them with a high level of cynicism. Then again, you said you don't keep them that long, so it's not a big deal to you.

From this article on Samsung.com - I was off by a year, it's four years of OS updates and five years of security updates...more than I'll ever need/want:

Eligible Galaxy devices with four generations of One UI and five years of security updates1 include:

• Galaxy S Series: Galaxy S22, S22+, S22 Ultra as well as Galaxy S21, S21+, S21 Ultra, S21 FE and upcoming S series devices
  • Galaxy Z Series: Galaxy Z Fold3, Galaxy Z Flip3 and upcoming Z series devices
  • Galaxy A Series: upcoming select A series devices
  • Galaxy Tablets: Galaxy Tab S8**,** S8+, S8 Ultra and upcoming Tab S series devices

This is exactly the deceptive marketing I am referring to. One UI is not Android, it is Samsung's overlay that runs on top of Android. That is to say, they are not promising to ever upgrade Android OS to the next version, but as they update One UI, they promise to make those updates available on the older generation devices for up to 4 years.

Not trying to troll here, just been burned by Samsung so much in the last few years, I wanted to point out that there may be a disparity between what you think they are saying, and what they are really saying.

1 Like

Sorry, my bad, chose the wrong article. Here's the full story, both Android OS and One UI are included:

Me too.

Oh you meant 3 Android updates, so sorry that isn't what we meant.

Never buying a Samsung phone again.

2 Likes

That's unfortunate, I've had a good experience w/them overall.

I really don't their UI vs stock Android - Gave up around S8+ when they were trying to push their less than ideal version of Alexa/Siri - Bixby. Couldn't disable the Bixby button at first which was really annoying. Also very confusing about what Samsung services you really need..

1 Like

It's all good. Just trying to bring awareness. Not trying to to say you are wrong, or looking for you to prove you're right. Like you said, you won't be keeping it long enough to matter. I prefer iPhones, because I have been in tech my whole life, and I am burned out on a lot of it. I just want my stuff to work. I don't care about the Android vs iOS wars. I have some Android stuff, and it's fine if it's kept up to date, and the hardware is capable. My Android stuff is for hobbyist stuff, like wall panels (as well as FireOS for that). I too don't keep my stuff for more than two years, typically just one year. So how long something has support isn't an issue for me either.

2 Likes

Yup - all good. I just wanted correct the info I had posted here since my initial post only referenced One UI (which I had missed) and not the included OS update part. :slight_smile:

As noted I also have both and use both for different needs.

My only real gripe is that HP killed WebOS. :wink:

1 Like

this :point_up:

1 Like

It’s apparently not dead. It lives on in LG smart refrigerators :raised_hands:

3 Likes

You shouldn't have gotten the Note 7 :firecracker: :rofl:

4 Likes

Sick burn. Pun intended.

3 Likes

Ouch. I mean figuratively. Top load clothes washer that literally explodes posing a serious health risk. Refrigerator that at the same time freezes the ice maker into a solid wall of ice while failing to maintain healthy internal temps for the fridge resulting in food spoilage, and a TV that frequently starts powering itself off due to faulty firmware updates.. I almost bought a new TV when it started working again on its own after nearly a year of issues and now it’s been working great for the past 2 years…. So no more Samsung for me.

1 Like