Hubitat for AUS/NZ Chat

Yes, many thanks!

3 Likes

News to me, even if this project was in the current workflow we wouldn't publicly set a date for it.

Who's telling you this?

Hey guys what's the recommendation for solid outlet based repeaters. Been scanning my network since I got my xbee and the tradfri repeaters don't have the power to go through too many brick walls and I don't really want my house to have to be peppered with them.

Have you considered purchasing more Xbee's to scatter around your house plugged unto USB ports? Those things are pretty darn powerful so would sort you right out. Also you can program them using a proper grove board but then just fit them onto these cheaper boards when you just have to power them.

Wasn't planning to because of the cost. By the time you factor in the xbee/antenna, support board (and probably modifying it to use a USB A plug) and psu it comes to nearly $60 a pop :grimacing:.

Although........ as a result of your post I went onto the core electronics site and found they had 1 last S2C for $27. With 63mW I could blanket the other half of the house and let the tradfris there hang off it.

On the xbee thread there was also a post on reflashing CC2531's to act as routers. These are like less than $10 and can plug straight into a USB charger. I've got one on order atm.

Yeah I was going to say you could buy the Xbee S2C to save on $$$ here is some more on Aliexpress too. In relation to boards just these which I mentioned previously. Then plug straight into USB ports by replacing a few of your GPO's around the house with these.

Interesting, the other way might be to buy the Sonoff Basic ZBR3 that would make them a bloody cheap option too with the added bonus of just wiring into your existing lamp looms. Note, I haven't done this so I am making an assumption they act as zigbee routers. I do have one at home but haven't played with it.

Hang on all the boards have mini usb connectors so will need another adapter. WAF isn't an issue but I can't :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

haha, just design a slick looking 3d printed case that looks neat then :stuck_out_tongue: . Hell someone has probably already designed one somewhere that you could just use. If your looking for something a little more stealth then that Basic R3Z would be pretty slick (if it works the way I assume it would).

Love to go cheap but these are non approved right and I'm also trying to avoid the expense of electricians turning up which is why all my stuff is either low power or bulbs.:grinning:

1 Like

Yeah I personally prefer low voltage as well which is why i like the Xbee's more although you'll just need to either make a 3d printed case and neaten it up a bit or just find USB ports behind your existing devices in the house. I actually installed 11 of those GPO's I mentioned above so I have ports everywhere and most are covered behind furniture, devices etc so if I had gone that route a short usb cable plugged into a tiny box with it running would have worked for me.

FYI all, @markus has done some great work here on Tasmota drivers and merged firmware to support them in HE, so if your into flashing Tuya or running Sonoff devices check it out.

2 Likes

Thats cool, The xbee adapters have ftdi pins so easy to wire up for power and ground.

I might break open one of the tradfri repeaters to see whether I can hook up an rpa connector for a bit of extra gain.

Also I noticed you can buy ikea usb wall plugs that the repeaters come with so entirely possible to build repeaters that look like tradfris but have xbees inside lol.

2 Likes

Now your thinking! Good luck and post your results as I am sure other's will be interested in that too.

Using Sonoff Basic ZBR3's get my vote.
I've also got one of the Zigbee On/Off controllers, that are on fleabay, which routes my Iris and Sengled devices.

1 Like

what are people using for house energy consumption viewing ?
any aus spec zwave/zigbee/wifi ones that work with HE ?

This should be good news for you guys as this will/should drive the Z-Wave prices down and make it more affordable.

1 Like

Here's my take on a siren using the Shelly 1 and sgrayban's alarm driver (not wired up yet). Uses standard 115 db siren, 2.5mm power socket and 12V plug pack from either Altronics or Jaycar. If anyone is interested in the case I can put it up on Thingiverse.

4 Likes

Looks good mate. I have a spare Shelly 1 too unless @stevebott123 buys it :stuck_out_tongue: . Anyways definitely post up the 3d printed case as I may consider it for indoors in the future.

EDIT: It would be worth documenting this in detail too as I did with mine. Shelly 1 12v Outdoor Siren Strobe Alarm – Smarter Home Club

Fyi all, if anyone is looking to install LED strips and want a super clean job check out these. It looks really nice and clean, unless I pointed it out to someone they wouldn't even notice. Good quality too.

1 Like

STL file here Piezo Siren Case with Shelly 1 by rockets - Thingiverse. Enjoy!

3 Likes